Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few questions on Tau based stuff :P
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default A few questions on Tau based stuff :P

Hi folks,

Ive got a fair sized Tau Army (Although ive only just got some Broadsides, im ashamed i know...) And i have a few questions on some of the army options.

Firstly, each battle suit has 3 hardpoints, which is easy to understand. But it says that you may buy stuff from the armoury? but in the armoury it says that the options take up a hard wired system. Is that different to a hard point? if so, can i take the hardpiont option of 2 x drones, then spend my hard wired system on a drone controller, and have 4 drones per battlesuit? If so thats kinda wierd but cool i guess.

Secondly, if you cant have 3 hard points and a hard wired system, isnt it better to equip all your battlesuits with twin linked guns so you dont have to buy the multi tracker?

ok thats all guys!

p.s. I love kroot but cant use em effectively. Even my great gnarloc is pants!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: A few questions on Tau based stuff :P

Hard points are different than Armoury upgrades. For example, You can take a shield gen, a PR, and a burst cannon as your three hard points. Then you can take extra stuff, like a Drone controller with 2 drones, BSF, HW Multitracker. Basically, you have to select three things under the Hard points, then you can have however many upgrades you want from the Armoury. ( don't take too much of an advantage over this as it's very costly in points) Also, I wouldn't take drones with Crisis teams, bit of a waste on points.

About twin-linked weapons, that's two hard points right there. So, you could take, say a PR, and in the Armoury, take a HW multitracker so you can fire the PR and the twin linked weapon together. Yet, it doesn't mean it's better.

Also, about Kroot, I don't have much of a knowledge of their use as I'm an Enclave player, but I will one word that comes to mind: TERRAIN. use it. But, I'm gonna leave that question up to some more Krooty Tau players.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:06   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh right that makes sense. Didnt know you could spend all 3 hard points on guns though, more of an oversight on my part though cos the rules dont say you cant.

thanks!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sure thing Yeah, at first glance, it seems a little off.

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 23 Jan 2005, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

about the twin-linked question:

lemme just put it this way: would you want a rerolled 3 dice for twin linked burst cannons(best case of dice #), or 5 dice with a burst/plasma/multitracker?

the most common arrangement if heard of is termed the 'Fire Knife': missiles/plasma/multitracker. without giving too many copywrite info, if gives them good long range multi-dice results, hard hitting as well.

hmm i guess you COULD give your commanders/leaders hard-wired multi and twin link, say, missile pods, or hey! plasmas.. (shrug)
Old 23 Jan 2005, 23:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
lemme just put it this way: would you want a rerolled 3 dice for twin linked burst cannons(best case of dice #), or 5 dice with a burst/plasma/multitracker?
Against Necrons: Plasma, twin linked, all the way.

It's the AP, dude. Seriously. If they are gonna make 5 saves out of 5 hits and 5 wounds, then those 5 dice dont' matter squat. If you can drop max 3, average 1, per turn and per crisis where the Necrons get no save then that's way better. Sure, they may stand up again, but it's a 50% chance and hey,....they are already down which is better off than if they'd made thier 3+ saves and didn't go down.

8)
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 23 Jan 2005, 23:26   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Twin-linking is not worth a lot on your commander. He is accurate enough that he does not usually benefit from it.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

Yes, but if you dont hit, then how will the twin linked not help? It does. The TL just assures you of a dead on hit.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 24 Jan 2005, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would NEVER twin link ANYTHING on a crisis suit. It is a waste of points. I think that more guns is always better. Just don't twin link.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 02:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Twinlinking weapons can be good in some cases. Any crisis suit configuration ( well, most) can be used effectively. I don't usually do it, but for certain objectives, it can work really well.

Closed Thread