Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Out - First Army List - 1000pts
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting Out - First Army List - 1000pts

Hi i would appreciate opinions on my first attempt at an army list, it should be able to take on everything.

Hq - Shas'el - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, MT - 85

Troop - 12 FW - 120

Troop - 12 FW - 120

Troop - 12 FW
* * * * * *Devilfish, MT, DL - 215

Troop - 12 Kroot - 84

Elite - Crisis Suit - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, MT - 65

Heavy Support - Hammerhead - Railgun, Burst Cannon, MT, DL - 165

Heavy Support - Hammerhead - Ion Cannon, Burst Cannon, MT, DL - 145

Total = 999pts
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Tau Commander Send a message via MSN to Tau Commander
Default Re: Starting Out - First Army List - 1000pts

I like the amount of FW ;D maybe get a sqaud of stealth suits. if your willing to raise the points to like 1500 then mount all hte FW into 'fishes and and maybe more kroot. and may be another crisis suit.

o ya i have a question 'Heavy Support - Ion Cannon - Railgun, Burst Cannon, MT, DL - 145' ?????

want a sig or avatar like mine? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29403.0 request there and i'll do w/e you want
i used to be Tau_va back in the day o_0
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Heavy Support - Ion Cannon - Railgun, Burst Cannon, MT, DL - 145' is obviously a hammer head with an Ion Cannon

I have limited experience but it seems that you have the big guns with the tanks and the small guns with the FW, but not much suits in between... So i'dd agree that you could add some stealth suits possibly in exchange for one HH. Another thing is swapping the kroot for a broadside suit.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 15:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

Skip the multitracker for your fish and make one of the fire warriors Shas'ui. I also suggest Shas'ui in all FW units since Ld 8 really makes the difference.

I think the Kroot unit is too small to be succesful but since its your first army list you might want to try them out a bit to see whether you like them enough before you buy more.

Overall its a nice first attempt.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Ahh nice first list and welcome to the message boards...maybe you have been reading over the dead threads for advice *hint hint if you hadn't already* .

Hmm, i can see you probably got a battleforce, hence the 12 kroot? well thats probably not going to hold out im afraid but dont be put off kroot, buy some more when you can for 1000pts or for expanding to 1500pts. Instead of the kroot make the fire warrior teams have shas'uis and then take an extra crisis suit for a single elite slot, fireknife will do fine! even wihtout my suggestion thats a very well balanced list ;D!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

good list. But, like 42 said, if your planning using the Kroot effectively, I'd drop maybe (dare I say it) a couple FW's, for some more Kroot, as they're more effective in bigger numbers. Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with it.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

probably easier for you to just re-arrange withthe models you already have rather than buy some more so make use of the other crisis suit form the battleforce becuase at the moment although you may have massed 'light' (well pulse rifle is bordering on medium :P ;D) weapons fire but more plasma and missile pod fire from yuor suits will create an extremely versitile (and faster) force that can complete pretty much any mission against pretty much most opponent, ive said it before ill say it again...this is a well balanced list ;D
Old 23 Jan 2005, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

It lacks balance in the area of FA. add a gun drone squad.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi, thanks for all the feedback, i have a couple of questions;

Firstly it was mentioned that i should remove the multi-tracker from the devil fish, but if i did this then it would be unable to fire its burst cannon/drones because i imagine i will make sure that it always moves over six to get the glancing hit benefit. As i have already paid points for its weapon systems i would like to be able to use them, is it not generally considered worth the ten points?

The other thing that was mentioned is the kroot, in that they will not prove effective and i should swap them out for a crisis and squad upgrades for the fire warriors. The whole not effective thing has me a bit confused because surely that would depend on what they were used for. I had wanted to use them by taking advantage of their infiltrate to deploy near priority threats and use them as an expendable road block as they are cheap. As such i didnt think a large unit size was necessary, would they prove effective in this use and what other uses are larger squads put to?

Say i did swap out the squad for a crisis and squad upgrades, this worries me slightly as it would be swapping twelve models for one, is a single crisis suit as effective as a squad of kroot and would it be as resilient?

Also with the ten points for squad upgrades is it best to go for bonding the squad or upgrading a model to a shas'ui, is the extra point of leadership more useful than the ability to regroup below half strength?

As for adding extra stuff to make it up to 1500pts this list is designed for the conflict tournament so i am just concentrating on 1000pts at the moment. I like both stealth teams and drone squads but i dont see how i could fit either into the list while keeping the fire warriors and enough anti tank capability.

Keep the opinions coming, thanks for your help.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 22:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Well...
I would drop one team of FW for another Devilfish and Kroots.
Perhaps some Kroothounds would be in place.
The two teams of FW in the Fishes, will execute the FoF, while the Kroots infiltrates and charge into combat,
taking away some attention from your FW teams.

All hail the mighty Fish of Fury!

Nuff said...
Closed Thread