Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Tau vs. Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jan 2005, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mech Tau vs. Necrons

So Ive been practicing for a 1750 Rogue Trader tournament in February and have done really well against Space Marines, Chaos, and Imperial Guard, the armies I expect to see the most of. The problem is that I played against a Necron army and got thoroughly spanked three games in a row. My Ex used to play Necrons and I had no problem with my old non Mech Tau army but now it seems that I cant take down a whole squad to save my life.

Here are the comparative army lists.

My Army - Mech Tau

HQ:
Shaso - Pl,MP,Sh,MT

Elite:
2x 3 Crisis - Pl,MP,MT

6 Stealth

Troops:
3x 10 Firewarriors Devilfish w. Decoy Launcher

Fast:
5 Pathfinders 2 Rail Rifles

Heavy:
Hammerhead Railgun, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launcher

Hammerhead Ion Cannon, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launcher

Necron Army

HQ:
Lord, resurrection orb, Veil of Darkness

Elite:
10 immortals (deployed with Lord)

Troops:
3x 10 warriors

Fast:
2x 3 destroyers
10 scarabs Disruption field

Heavy:
2x 2 Heavy Destroyers

If I use the standard FoF tactic I wind up killing 2-3 Warriors if I let fly with all 30 Firewarriors and all the armament on their Devilfish. Id like to concentrate more fire on the Destroyers but I usually have to dedicate the Crisis suits Scarabs and the Hammerheads to the Heavy Destroyers for the first round. Even if I can get at the Destroyers and manage to lose only one Hammerhead to long range fire, the Lord uses the Veil of Darkness and jumps in with the Imortals and tosses me twenty shots that cut me to ribbons. If I try to Phase him out its no use. He has 51 models considered Necrons and Phases Out at 12. Thats 39 I have to kill. Assuming I kill all the Destroyers thats only 10. Id then have to kill every Warrior squad to take him out. Considering the dammage the Imortals and Scarabs are capable of dishing out, this just isnt feasable.

So what do I do? Like I said the list seems to work well against everything but Necrons so I dont want to make radical changes for one opponent. I know Im going to be getting some people saying that I should drop the Pathfinders but in Rogue Trader Tournaments they judge your army for balance. Having no Fast Attack choices I think will hurt me more in the long run. Besides, theyve proven very useful in soaking up fire as most people seem to be terrified of them. Plus having a forward squad deployed in cover that can pin, paint, and bust Marine armor is useful.

So there it is, lets once and for all formulate a Mechanized Tau solution for the Necron Problem.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Mech Tau vs. Necrons

I played vs Necrons 1700 points just yesterday and I got a minor victory, my goal was to get a draw since my army is also built for tournament and vs Necrons it's hard when you don't get many autokilling/no save weapons so I was pleased atleast.
One thing I did that proved to be very effective is to shoot the scarabs with the hammerheads railgun and submunition. You autokill everything beneath the blastmarker on 2+ and 1 shot takes atleast 2/3 of them down. Finish the rest with pulse rifles or another shot with the hammerhead the following turn. Vs Necrons you don't have to use a railgun solid shot unless you face a monolith so there's no waste shooting the scarabs since they are real pain in the *** ! And try to fool him when you deploy, like getting his attention to the wrong flank from your point of view, and with your fast army you can easily select a target of choice ..... The veil of darkness is a pain though, you never know where they come but you gotta live with that
Old 22 Jan 2005, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes scrabs are swarms, double the wounds from ordanance.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 17:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

The Hammerhead submunitionsbalst isnt techincally an ordanance weapon remeber, although i expect the rule still applies i cant be sure, its hard to know exactly what ordonaance benfits/normal weapon benefits the railgun submunitions blast actually gets
Old 22 Jan 2005, 17:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Asuming that you got a Devilfish for the Pathfinders!

Remove the 3 devilfishes and you have 255pts free...

Now get 1 Hammerhead with Ioncannon and multi tracker costs 130pts leaving you with 125 pts..
that is enough to give you another 12 FW.

But if you havent bought a Devilfish for the pathfinders then also remove he decoy lauchers from the hammerheads and swap the Fw team for 6 fire warriors or 5 drones

That is in simple words:
You got the devilfish for pathfinders:
Then remove the 3 FW fishes and get a hammerhead IC and MT + 12 FW.

But If you dont have it then:
Remove the 3 FW fishes and give the PF one with no equip. Then get the HH IC ad MT + 6FW or 5 drones!

against necrons youll need all the heavy weapons U can get!
Old 22 Jan 2005, 19:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Swarms among others are "weak to blast weapons" hasn't anything to do with ordnance or not. But that doesn't matter with the sub shot since it autokills anyway. And pulse rifles wounds on 2+ with no save for them. Make sure the scarabs are dead before they can do anything serious though.
If you don't have access to more "heavy" guns as Apo suggested Necrons is a very slow army so you can really make use for Tau mobility as I said in the earlier post. Sure Necrons have things that are fast but it's the warriors you can avoid and they are a pain to get down anyway so best defence is to avoid them completely
Old 22 Jan 2005, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm aware of the effectiveness of the submunition vs. scarabs. Thats not the problem. The problem is in the numbers. Assuming my entire army is within range of one squad of Warriors and assuming I'm can rapid fire, I can only reliably kill 11.98 Warriors statistically speaking and accounting for WBB. Thats with EVERYTHING on one squad. With the Imortals or Destroyers its even less, 9.27. As far as I can tell my only hope is to rush the Destroyers and fend off the inevitable Imortals warping in. Once I can take them out I need to stay out of Warrior range and pick them off. Keep in mind these numbers account for my entire army firing at a single unit. Considering that the Imortals take out 11.98 FW's per turn and 2.87 Crisis Suits my odds of acomplishing this are slim at best. The more I crunch the numbers the worse it looks.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Those numbers may look bad at first... but that's because of the army's effectiveness. Try having less fw's and instead a squad or two of 20 non-upgraded kroot instead. stealth suits vs necrons really doesn't mix as well as crisis and necrons. stealth excel at blowing away weak armor and light troops.... neither of which appear in a necron army. Finally, why do you have the pathfinders? the only thing they should really aim for are the hh's, and you have no seeker missiles. you'd be better off dropping them for something else, I think, as you'd kill about 2 warriors a turn with them for about 160 points.

It totally depends on how you want to approach defeating the crons, tho. If you want to take a static army and try to blow them away with numbers or take a mobile army and try to out-maneuver him. Although, based on the numbers you gave, it's probably best NOT to take the crons on head-on.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 21:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well. then what you need to do is to get as much heavy as you can.. exchange the HHs and pathfinders for as many XV88 with multitracker you can get..
Old 22 Jan 2005, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

As far as the effectiveness of the pathfinders, they cost 165 pts and kill 0.57 Warriors per turn and will pinn the squad 16% of the time. Fire Warriors cost 185 pts and kill 0.56 Warriors per turn beyond 12" and 1.01 at rapid fire. I can also paint for the Hammerheads. This can increase the effectiveness of the Ion Cannon by 17% to 1.28 Warriors per turn. As I said before, RTT judges you by army balance. If I fail to take a Fast Attack choice, I'll be docked every match.
Closed Thread