Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Tau are crushed!
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Tau are crushed!

Me and my mates are new to 40k. We've played alot of fantesy and lotr though. I want to start Tau and have bought a box of fire warriors. My mates play Necrons and space marians. Ealyer tonight we played afew skirmishes, Necrons against my Tau. 7 Necron warriors crushed my 12 warriors, my fire power was powerless. The points were the same so why did I loss so badly. Any advice?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: The Tau are crushed!

because 'Crons Crush Tau :P

on a more serious note the Tau FW is no match for a 'Cron warrior.

we need HH and crisis to beat the 'cron, kroot are better than FW at killing warriors IME.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Just to try them out I used a Crisis and he used a destroyer. Same pionts again and I came out even worse. The Crisis had no fire power even with twin-linked plasmas!
Old 21 Jan 2005, 19:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To win you must play to your advantages, Did you use your crisis suit properly, what else did you have besides plasma ? Your guns outrange his, sit in cover and pound him senseless. But keep in mind it will be tough to drop him with Pulse fire, 12 fire warriors will kill about .6 necron per turn. What other units do you have?

You need mobile firepower, the way to win with Tau is to focus all your firepower at one small point in his army. As an example, if you hit his destroyer with your firewarriors and Crisis suit it will die (and stay dead). once his mobility is down, the necron warriors will be in deep dog doo... You really need a wider range of models.....
In some of my posts I may mention my feelings, opinions, and/or some facts about various armies. These comments are in no way meant to hurt or insult any quality players, with well planned (sometimes painted) armies. The quality of "Cheese" is limited to the specific individual and can only be enhanced/diminished by any imbalance due to game design, codex creep, or by not having a new codex for eight years. Any posted comments are not intended for any army as a whole.
Thank you, and goodnight.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

The point system requires a certain minimum army size to be fair. This varies from army to army, and is difficult to quantify. His warriors actually have a minimum unit size of 10, or 180 points. You cannot take 18 fire warriors in a squad, so you would have two squads of 9, minumum. He might have more trouble dealing with two seperate squads, especially since you out-range him. The large unit size is actually a disadvantage built into the Necron Army.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Cheers for the advice.

I also had the idea of using large (9-12) units of FW armed with pulse rifles as a mainstay and having small (6) auxiliary unit of FW armed with carbines and two gun drones as a pinning support.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

can't do. Squad of FW's has to have up to half with rifles in a squad. But, if you could, I still wouldn't, as it's kind of a waste of troops.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 22:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The auxiliary units would have 3 FW armed with rifles of coarse.

Why won’t it work?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 22:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Also you will often find that the game, plays completely different is small point games.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 23:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

how many points per side are you using, exactly? It doesnt seem like you're even using army legal lists (1 hq and 2 troops required, minimum)

okay, advice....

Against crons, especially in the smaller games, all you need to do to defeat them is kill 3/4 of them, and they warp out. So if he bothers with more expensive models, let him. Focus on killling basic warriors first. Crisis suits (when popping in and out of cover) can do a great job of it, but fire warriors just dont cut it against crons. take a squad of 6 (because you have to) and a Shas'el commander with plasma/fusion/multi for up close maps, or with plasma/missile pod/multi for longer range engagements. any other points, spend on a small kroot squad and more crisis suits with plasma.

oh, and go REALLY light on the upgrades to save points for numbers instead (like no shas'ui upgrade or photon grenades for the warriors, no shapers for kroot, and stay away from hard wired systems too) This will help turn the field in your favor, as your opponent will have to kill many more models than he has.