Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Target Lock and target priority
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jan 2007, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Target Lock and target priority

Hi...

Q: How do the rules about Target Locks and Target Priority work out in the following example?:

"A unit of Sniper Drones with a controller wants to fire their weapon systems at two different targets say a unit of Tactical marines and a unit of Devastators with the tactical unit being the closest (drones fire at the tac.squad and controller wanna light up the further away dev.squad)...with the rules of Targeting priority and Tau target locks...how many Ld rolls do I take with my Sniper unit?"

Im a bit confused about this so any help would be appreciated...

Tassadar
Old 08 Jan 2007, 16:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Target Lock and target priority

I believe the procedure is this:

1 - declare all targets. So in this case the unit will fire at the devastators, but the sniper drones use their target locks to shoot at the tactical marines.

2 - take a Ld test to pass your priority check and shoot the devastators. If passed then all models can shoot their declared target. If failed all models have to shoot the closest target.

Don't have a codex on me at the moment though so I could be wrong (but it's not likely :P)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 08 Jan 2007, 16:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Don't have a codex on me at the moment though so I could be wrong (but it's not likely :P)
I believe Falstead is indeed correct about the procedure. The rules are spelled out in the Tau Empire Codex under the descriptions of Target Locks and Networked Markerlights.

According to these new rules, you:

1) Declare all targets. The unit has a target, and anything with a target lock can declare a different target.

2) Roll Leadership test for target priority. If you pass, everyone fires at their desired target. If you fail, everyone must fire at the closest target.

3) Resolve (as in measure and roll dice) the Networked Markerlight shooting first. Networked Markerlights are special in that they are completely resolved first.

4) Resolve all other shooting (these shots happen effectively simultaneously). You may use the result of the Networked Markerlight hit to apply to these shots if you wish.

So Falstead nailed it. (Correct as usual - that's why we love him, well one of the reasons.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the topic of target locks and priority, can anyone answer for these odd situations?

1) Model in a unit with target lock and gun (or marker) drones. I declare targets for "the unit" and for "the model with target lock". Do the drones (as wargear for the model with target lock) fire at the same thing as their model? Do they fire at the same thing as the rest of the unit they belong to? Can they fire at something completely different altogether?

2) A complete broadside unit of 2 suits plus 1 suit leader has multiple incoming bad guys to deal with. The suits all have A.S.S. as their upgrade. The leader has hardwired: targetlocks, multitracker. In addition, the leader (only) has upgraded to twin linked plasma rifles. 22" Away in direct LoS are Obliterators. 13" Away behind an area terrain of woods (and thus blocked LoS) are Demonettes. The unit declares that it fire SMS at the Demonettes, while the leader with target lock and multitracker will fire both Railguns and Plasma Rifles at the Obliterators. SMS in its entry states that models firing it do not need to make a target priority test. Do I need to roll a target priority test? If so what happens if I fail?

-Aun'Shasta
Old 08 Jan 2007, 16:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Woo hoo I win again!

As for your questions Aunshasta here's how I would interpret the rules.

Number 1 is pretty straightforward, the target lock affects the model it was bought for, not his drones. Therefore the drones fire at the same thing as their unit, while the Shas'ui an shoot something else.

Number 2 is tricky but I think you're right. No test is unnecessary to shoot the obliterators, as they are the closest visible and viable target. Meanwhile the SMS don't require a test.

Since the rail gun/plasma rifle have no other valid target you can unleash a lot of pain on two different and equally dangerous chaos units!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 08 Jan 2007, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Meanwhile the SMS don't require a test.
Interesting interpretation.

So if I up the ante just a little. Let's say there are two groups of Demonettes behind those woods. Can each of the "regular unit" broadside suits fire it's SMS at a different Demonette group, or do they need to fire at the same one?

Thanks for speedy quick service with a smile!

-Aun'Shasta
Old 08 Jan 2007, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunshasta
So if I up the ante just a little. Let's say there are two groups of Demonettes behind those woods. Can each of the "regular unit" broadside suits fire it's SMS at a different Demonette group, or do they need to fire at the same one?
Without Target Locks, they can not split their fire. With Target Locks, they can. Simple as that.
Old 08 Jan 2007, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Simple as that.
Ah, yes. I guess it would be. Thanks, Khanaris. And thanks Falstead.

-Aun'Shasta