Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

All Broadsides?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Helderin Send a message via MSN to Helderin
Default All Broadsides?

D'you guys think their is potential in only taking Broadsides for my heavy weapons slot. Hammerheads are awesome and all.

The way I see it, what I would lack in mobility, I get massed Railguns shots w/ reroll and a wider area of effect.

However I'm worried about their vulnerability to assault. If a squad of assault marines happen to land near them I'll have to waste a turn shooting at armor by focusing my Railguns, and if I take em, Plasma Rifles. But thats a turn that some hard hitting power can get in range.

Also I plan on using Fish of Fury, do you think that that tactic will work well with 9 Broadsides (in large games of course)?

Only thing that nags at me is that FW's in APCs w/ Crisis and Stealth suits gives off the theme of a mobilized force which a broadside is not...any suggestions for why such a slow unit would be acommpanying a mobile force.

I have this...

Since I play in a lot of Omega games footsloggers are all thats deployed. To prepare a way for his forces, the Shas'o deploys the Broadsides to begin clearing the way for the rest of the cadre. The Broadsides aren't deployed in a insertion point where they have to footslog to the battlefield, they are instead deployed from Transport Ships (Manta Rays right?) right onto the battlefield for a shock and awe effect and to hold off the forces, and cause chaos while the XV-15s get into position.

Hows that?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: All Broadsides?

yeah, you COULD do that, but I'd really, mobility or not, take at least one HH. Your broadsides will be effective but that's a ****load of points, I mean, c'mon 9 broadsides?!? Plus, to solve your assaulting problems, keep one FW squad as a static firebase to protects the BS's just in case.

They're slow because they carry TL Railguns. I imagine a Railgun being about a ton in weight, giving them too much weight for mobility. And tau aren't a solely mobile army, they're just really effective in mobility.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Helderin Send a message via MSN to Helderin

The whole 9 Battlesuits is for 3000+ games, in smaller games I'm going for a more convenient 2x 2Broadside squads.

I think I will maybe go for 1 Hammerhead and 2 3Broadside squads, but 9 Broadsides sounds pretty awesome.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

pretty cheesy too. I'm just telling the facts here. How many 3000+ games are you playing?? You know how long those take? 9 Broadsides would get you labled a powergamer because, in a sense, that's what it is. Your not going to go wrong with a HH. Especially since you have a mobile army.

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think you would run out of valid targets against most opponents. *Against an armored IG army or a SM army that relies on Rhinos and Razorbacks, you could strand all of them on the first turn. *Against a normal army though, let alone one of the horde armies, they might never earn their points back. *

I have to say that it would certainly be demoralizing for an opponent to be facing across the table.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Another means of "rapid deployment Broadsides" would be a form of aerial insertion. *Since the Broadsides don't have jetpacks, they can't deepstrike as a normal XV suit could do. *On the other hand, the greater theme behind the Tau *is* mobility; in this case, I imagine they would possess a form of antigravity hovercraft or helicopter specially designed to deliver Broadside teams to the locations they were needed at.

Modus Operandi would be to identify where they would be needed (pre-planned or via Pathfinders), call up the support chopper (hovercraft, what have you), and deploy the Broadsides into position just before the main body of the Tau roared in to launch their attack.

Thus, your Broadsides are just as mobile as the rest of your army, by virtue of that most precious of commodities... *Airlift!

(As for never earning their points back, they *do* have those Missile Pods.... Anti infantry specifically, to boot. It's not about killing their weight in enemy models; it's about making the rest of your forces stronger via the support they give)
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's still taking away a whole lot of points from what's going to really win you the battle. Your troops!

Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The trouble is when your enemy decides to ignore the Broadsides and go after weaker parts of your army. *If they can afford to lose 9 models a turn, they have no real incentive to get within range of your Missile systems. *If you space your suits evenly across the table, this is less of a problem. *This does not apply as much to the Hammerhead, as the submunitions have the potential to kill far more models in a horde army than the solid shells do. *That is partly why they are usually so highly recommended.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Can't go wrong with a Hammerhead.

Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is value in both methods. The Hammerhead is a single model, and while durable can still be shot down with one well-placed (and lucky) blow. Keep in mind as well that nothing prevents the Broadsides from moving in support if necessary, even if their rate of fire is reduced.

After all, if the rest of the Tau are sufficiently mobile, then the "weak part of the army" can be a vicious and deadly feint. The enemy strides towards the "weak point", leaving the Broadsides fairly unscathed; the weak point fires as necessary, and then mounts up at the proper time, moving back into the safer cover of the Broadsides' guns.

Including so many Broadsides will cut into the numbers of other troops you may have, but that is part of the building process. Careful consideration is key!
Closed Thread