Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

possible use for drones?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2005, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default possible use for drones?

im new to the rules (and the game for that matter), so ill run this 'tactic' by here:

first a lil background: the guy im playing mostly is a Speed Freak (shudder) and im having real trouble keepin him outta my face. so one possible solution is as follows:

when orks are within say 25" (wartrukk+move+assault rang.. SHEESH!) ill arrange my fire warrios like so:

+ +
+ +
+ + o o
+ +
+ +

.. the point being that the orcs would have to engage the frontmost drone, and the only ENGAGED units would be the drones themselves.. the warriors would be locked, but cant take any wounds from the combat.

anyway, the drones get slaughtered, the orcs win combat, the orcs consolidate 3" towards the rest of my guys... falling 1" SHORT.....

does this mean im now out of combat, and free to back up and 'double tap' them (maybe local lingo i dunno, but i like it.. >)?

my only confusion is the 'pile in move... would i HAVE to pile in? i hope not!

anyways, i could always fail a morale check for losing combat (reread sweeping advance.. they CANT sweeping adbvance if not in B2B contact...

anyways im open to thoughts/opinions...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: possible use for drones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
.. the point being that the orcs would have to engage the frontmost drone, and the only ENGAGED units would be the drones themselves.. the warriors would be locked, but cant take any wounds from the combat.
Problem is, all Orcs within 2" of thier buddies in B2B with your drones get an attack. That's a lot of attacks, as you well know. Thing is, Hits are still determined based on Majority WS, which is 2 all around, and saves have to be taken by majority, worst saves first. If they are Shield Drones, it's not going to do you any good at all because the majority are 4+ regular saves (the FCWs).

Bottom line: units engage units.

What you can do is move Drones i nthe assault phase with thier jetpacks. This layout you have is not bad for the enemy Shooting Phase where they have to shoot at the closest unit or make a LD test if they want to shoot elsewhere.

Against Speed Freeks the best thing to do is start off consolidated and packed together so you can mass fire into buggies and trucks more easily. If you spread too thin, you can't support the rest of "the team". Remember, you have 18" range on your base gun, so deploy at a distance where his 24" move, 2" disembarkation puts him squarely in your Pulserifle rapid fire range, and in cover where possible. Tau shoot at Orcs, hitting on thier 4+ and wounding on 3+ with no save available unless they ahve the Force Field (which he will).

One tactic I've used is to set up at 3"from your own board edge. He can move 24", deploy 2" and try to assault 6", but in the latter case, he'll be short. Rapidfire him to pieces right there or, what the heck, assault him. Even 12 FCWs with 2 Drones can put a little hurt on Orcs and then he doesn't get the bonus atatack for charging, you do. Best bet though is to deploy shallow and stand your ground. He'll try to sneak around a flank, but that's where you put cheapies like Kroot or Drone units or heavy hitters like Hammerheads or XV88s.

Keep in mind also that you can deploy apart from your transport, so deploy the DF closer to him that your infantry.Fly them around and make them the "closest unit to shoot at". With his cruddy shooting, he'll waste time trying to drop them while you concentrate fire on one mob at a time.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well drones can be messengers, scouts, camera/satillites for troops, bombs...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
Well drones can be messengers, scouts, camera/satillites for troops, bombs...
I'm pretty sure he means "tactical uses" for them.

Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

As far as Gun Drones go, there's a few tips for em, but I tend to not use them as IMO it's a waste of points.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Under the new rules, only models that are engaged may be removed.* If the drones is the only model that is engaged, then only the drone may be removed.* Majority toughness would only apply if some of the Fire Warriors were engaged as well.* This is described on page 38 of the 4th edition rulebook.* Page 41 explains that excess wounds are in fact discarded.

If they are 4" back (2" for each drone in front), then they are safe on the first turn of close combat.* Even the second drone will not be engaged unless the Orks sweep around the first drone.* This can only happen if they are charging from less than 12" away.

However, the "Pile-In" move that will occur at the end of that assault phase is 6", not 3".* This means that the orks will be able to engage most of the squad in the next phase (or you may have to engage them).* The move is unfortunately mandatory, as described on page 44.

This may be a very good idea, though.* None of the Orks will get much of a charge bonus, and there is very little chance of you breaking on the first turn of combat.* You are going to die eventually, but if you can hold up a unit for just one turn...* Imagine this against Marines.

Mods:* Please let me know if discussing rules in this way is too explicit.* I am never sure how the copyright works...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not a mod, but I'll save them the time. Basically with stat posting, you can post movement inches and whatnot as that isn't a big deal, but posting full stat lines of a unit or a weapon is forbidden.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Engaged models = (1) any model in base contact or (2) within 2" of a model in base contact

Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Right, which in this case means only the front drone and the one behind it.* The fire warriors are in the clear on the first turn, so long as no orks are able to get in base-to-base with the second drone.*

I am actually a little nervous, as this idea makes the Tyranid Gargoyle Whip even more dangerous.* This was a tactic under which you attach a Hive Tyrant (or two) to a large unit of Gargoyles.* The gargoyles deploy in a long line, and "whip" out to engage the closest opponent in close combat.* They are easily fast enough to do it.* When they are in assault, they may not be fired at, nor may the Tyrant.* The gargoyles will probably lose, but they won't break as long as the Tyrant is in the squad.* The Tyrant gets a base pile-in move of 6" every turn (yours and theirs).* I don't remember if that can be increased.* Even if another unit charges the whip, it will just draw the Tyrant towards it instead.* It is one of the grossest manipulations of the rules I have ever encountered, but it is still legal.* I don't know if it blocks line-of-site anymore, but it will still block movement.

It would probably just be easier to use the drones off of a Devilfish to do the same thing.* Put them a little further up and you can strand you opponent.* This is reminding me of Warhammer Fantasy tactics, actually.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm just saying that the only flaw is if any one enemy model can reach that middle drone then Fire Warriors die as casualties, at least some of the ones in the front row. Even if only the front Drone gets beat down and the middle Drone gets removed as the only other "engaged" model, then the best you have is a one turn reprieve.

I can see what you're saying now, but it'll only work maybe against Orcs or maybe IG who can'st stand your shooting. Against Marines it won't work so hot. What your setting up this way is a situation where there are no engaged models and so the charging enemy cannot pursue after combat. They still get to consolidate though, but because of your set up they can't consolidate into the remaining FCWs and next turn you blast the bejeezus out of them with full rapid fire pulse goodness.

The glitch is if even on model can make it to the middle drone, the whole thing doesn't work. It is about the only way I see Shield Drones paying off too.

Took me a minute...(lol)

Closed Thread