Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I am starting out
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default I am starting out

I am new to Tau. I have never fought or played Tau before. I am experience in 40K with a large CSM Khorne army.

I am just now starting to buy my new Tau army now. My friends an I usually play 1000pt - 1500 pt games but also starting to do a lot of 500pt 40k in a flash games. I still have not bought a Tau codex cause I am over seas right now but will be home in a couple weeks. I started to order a few things so they will be at my house by the time I get home so I can get started. I do have a games workshop about 15 miles from my house so adding to my army will be easy. There are a couple things I need to know. I will contiue to read everyones input cause so far it has been a great help.

Armies that I will be fighting: Iron Warriors, Tyranids, Daemon Hunters, Dark Eldar, and Imperial guard. My friend is building a secret army right now so not sure what he is getting.

What I plan on getting first:
24 Fire warriors
3 Broadsides
6 Crisis
1 Hammerhead
6 Stealth suits
2 Devilfish
unknown amount of Drones probably 10
Going to stay away from Kroot at this time

I will add later on:
24 more fire warriors

Main focus to start with: 500pt games (40k in a flash) as this will be the main focus of games for a while
I would like to know some good setups for these smaller games.
What works best against Tyranids
Some good do not do's
Is what I am planning to buy a good start or should I look on adding something else to my army before my deployment of them.

Thanks for any input cause I really hope to shock my friends and I know with Tau being so different than my Khorne army that I can not form my main battle plans on assult.

From what I have read it looks like the pathfinders are not that good... am I right or should I add them to my armies ranks?

Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: I am starting out

Ahh, welcome to the forums and to the path to the Greater Good!
anyways, from khorne to Tau, quite a change in tactics for you.
Hmmm. I suggest you research some army lists and put together a simple, basic one and post it and I'll help you on any negative points. From what your opponents play, I'm gonna say it's best to play a mostly mobile tau army, so keep that in mind when crafting your list. Good Luck!

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

One of the tactics that I have read so far that I really liked was the one with 2 devilfish when they disembark in front of a squad with the devilfish blocking the firewarriors from being assulted. I still dont have my codex yet so I am unclear if I can have that many firewarriors and 2 devilfish in a 500pt game yet. right now I am clueless to any point values till I get it.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, that tactic is called the FoF ( Fish of Fury) you can read more about it under the tactics section on this site. You could field 2 Fishes with FW's in a 500 pt game, but that would leave you 80 pts. to spare, so not a good idea. But, it works well with just 1 devilfish too.

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 20 Jan 2005, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry. but 12 FW with a fish costs 200pts. so taking 2 of those will leave him 100pts..

here is a basic 500pts list if U want!

HQ
Shas'el - 85pts
Plasma rifle, missile pod, multi tracker

Elites
1 XV8 - 65 pts

1 XV8 - 65pts

Troops
12 fire warriors - 120pts

8 fire warriors - 80pts
devilfish - 80pts

Totalt 495pts

As you like the FoF tactics I added in a fish for you. But at such small battles I would change it for another 2 fire warriors and 5 drones. The I would have the 24 FW to set up a fire base while the Xv8, commander and drones circle around the opponent to strike his side or back!
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Did you not read what I wrote?? I said putting 2 FW with fishes would leave you with 80 pts. ( counting bonded squads) which isn't a GOOD idea. hehe.

Yeah, apocalyptic gave you a really really basic list there, effective, yes. Just try it out and see if it works for you, if not, post for a list revision.

Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

in 400pts I take 2 fireknifes and a 3 man stealth w/ a 10 man FoF, nice amount of firepower there, you could get another crisis and fill some stuff up to make it 500, good Idea IMO.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 21 Jan 2005, 21:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

better to start out with a few different units, so he can build up with whatever he feels is missing..
Old 21 Jan 2005, 22:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I collect Eldar, not Tau so i don't pretend to know too much about the Greater Good, but when playing short battles, but when playing short 500 point battles as Eldar, I prefer to use as many models as possible. With such few models on the board, it is vital for your army to be able to physically outlast and outnumber as much as possible your opponents army. With this principle in mind, looking at Apocalyptic's suggestion, I would recommend swapping the devilfish for another 8 man squad of fire warriors, as the extra firepower in such a small point battle would be invaluable.

It's also good not to have too many 'high cost' units in small battles. One lascannon could take out a devilfish - and that's 80 points (nearly 1/5) of your army gone, but if the Devilfish had been swapped for 8 fire warriors, that lascannon can only take out one fire warrior per turn - costing significantly less.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 02:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

funnily enough, balance as in all things is key, model count is important but not the most important, ountnumbering yuor opponent w/ tau simply wont work, 10pts a model is too much to outnumber or even contes the numbers, what is important w/ tau is to pack as much firepower as possible and balanced firepower aswell, I think I've got that down.

the lack of FW concerned me at first but the maneuverability of the force ad the ability of half the force to "pop up" saves it.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread