Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what type of scenery suits these armies best?
Closed Thread
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauVa KoVash
Default what type of scenery suits these armies best?

me and my friends are making a board and the only armies that we'll be using on it are tau, space marines and eldar.
anyone got an opinion on what terrain would best suit all armies?
any feedback would be appreciated.

cheers,
~TVKV~
“When cities burn and armies turn, and flee in disarray, cowards will say ‘tis best to fly and fight another day, but the faithful know it in the marrow when the die and fall, it is better to have fought and lost, than not to have fought at all.”
"All those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand..."
A -ssole, a- ssole, a soldier I will be, too pissed, too pissed, two pistols on my knee, I will fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old country.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin
Default Re: what type of scenery suits these armies best?

I think regular grass, with evergreens and deciduous trees.

That suits most armies well. Space marines will fight anywhere the emperor wants them to die, I mean fight. Eldar have their set color schemes. Now, Tau change their camo depending on the terrain though.

For example, I am making a huge winter scene to fit my winterflague tau. Dark Angels green for base, white, black, and grey triangles to blend in with the snow all over.

Kroot are black, and the vehicles see the most of my camo.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Everyone has green grass tables... try something new.. a Desert theme, with stone pillars risign out of the dunes, quicksand hindering troops and landbound vehicles, ancient ruins waiting to be explored by xenotech archaelogists, dried up rivers.... sounds fun, hu?

Or you could create an arctic board, with frozen lakes, snow-covered forests, glaciers, stone formations, mysterious caves, forests made from ice crystalls... ;D

Or create the interior of an Eldar craftworld, one of the habitats or biodomes... beautiful parks, vast walkways, old statues charred from weapons fire, hastily overturned park benches which are used as cover by desperate guardians to keep the invaders of their home at bay...

Or... or...

I think I need a cold shower... right NOW!
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

something that looks like the inside of a ship would be pretty tight, if nothing else just a freakin huge bridge room ;D

but yeah, dont do grass, if you're gonna put all that hard work into it, make it stand out. do an artic wasteland... a desert... california suburbia, go wild man, and can you post pics of it when your done?
Old 20 Dec 2006, 00:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think I'm gonna do snow if I do a board, the "Classic Snow" in the painting section looks really good IMO
Old 20 Dec 2006, 00:47   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
california suburbia, go wild man, and can you post pics of it when your done?
That would be awesome, especially 'cause I live in one :P
Cityfight!

Old 20 Dec 2006, 01:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

something I've been toying with is a River Valley setting, with the river essentially bisecting the board and two bridges to defend/capture. Haven't decided on color, but a Pained Desert color scheme sounds awesome.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Arctic is the way to go.

How big a board are you wanting, because the bigger the board genrally the less dense the terrain.

Tau in the Arctic could be outfit with a small landing pad and rough defense compounds creating small amounts of cover. They could also be very well suited to broken ice clefts creating LOS blocking terrain. As for 'woods' and 'forest' I suggest you either get some 'pine' style trees and drybrush some white snow on to the trees along with a bit of PVA glue to make it look like the snow is thick on the branches.

For the Space Marines you could do with an imperail Comms outpost with antenna and/or sat dish. For light cover the use of ad-hoc sandbags or broken concrete walls could be improvised.

The elder don't need many buildings a frosen web gate and a few spires etc. would look cool...

Genmotty
Old 21 Dec 2006, 00:57   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree with Genmotty. Arctic scenery is very good for all three of those armies.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 04:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauVa KoVash

thanks everyone very helpful. i'll post the pics when i'm done.
the arctic terrain sounds like the best idea, it would be an interesting project, as opposed to the standard green grass, smooth hills, etc.
we were thinking of maybe a bunker assault on a boggy/marshy planet with an imperial oil mine (or whatever you call a oil getting place) and a boggy river, etc., but thats a bit unfair for my friends because tau skimmers aren't in anyway affected by that. yep, arctic wasteland, maybe a frozen river, sounds good.
thanks again,
~TVKV~
“When cities burn and armies turn, and flee in disarray, cowards will say ‘tis best to fly and fight another day, but the faithful know it in the marrow when the die and fall, it is better to have fought and lost, than not to have fought at all.”
"All those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand..."
A -ssole, a- ssole, a soldier I will be, too pissed, too pissed, two pistols on my knee, I will fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old country.
Closed Thread