Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000PT anti-templar army
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default 2000PT anti-templar army

Ok im trying to desgin a list specifically to take out my friends black templar army without being cheesy at all,
in his army he has - emporers champion, command squad, chaplain on bike
attack bikes, many standard bikes, about 3 tactical squads, terminator squad.

And heres my list

HQ- 160pts

Ethereal, Symbols of Office - 50pts

Shas'o, Fireknife - 110pts

ELITES - 455

2 Fireknife Crisis Suits - 130

2 Fireknife Crisis Suits - 130

3 Fireknife Crisis Suits - 195

TROOPS - 875

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui, Bonded - 140

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui, Bonded - 140

20 Kroot - 140

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui Bonded - 225
[devilfish with decoy launchers]

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui Bonded - 230
[devilfish with decoy launchers, disruption pod]

HEAVY SUPPORT - 510

Hammerhead, Railgun, Burst Cannons, - 170
Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pods

TOTAL - 2000points on the dot

power gaming score - 2 points - excellent gamer

General Tactis -

Divide crisis suits into 2 hunting groups, both 2 man squads and the 3 man squad and the commander. The fire warriors without fishes sit back and get into some cover either side of the board to set up fire slanting from both sides of the board, the fire warriors in fishes are moved out in their fishes behind terrain someplace safe for the first 2 turns or so. The kroot infiltrate into cover in front of the fire warriors somewhere (the thereal will follow one squad of static FW's).

I'm expceting him to charge with all his bikes right at the centre of my vulnerable fire warriors while abvioulsy his foot sloggers make a slow march up to me most likely through cover. I will annihilate the (turbo boosting) bikes with kroot fire/static pulse rifles and some submunitions blast, taking away all the mobility from his army (he doestn have any trasnports). Then i keep the static fire warriors and kroot back in cover and let the footsloggers come onto me. The crisis suits will be forever harrassing the main force, one task force of crisis set for termie duty, the other for command squad killing, finally the HH's will rain down sub fire and burst cannon fire on tactical squads once the bikes have been wiped out. The FoF teams will perform a killing blow on the detatched footsloggers hopefully whose lack of mobility and predictability will cost them dear.

Any advice on my list building and/or tactics would be most welcome!
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf
Default Re: 2000PT anti-templar army

A very good list but three identical Hammerheads seems a little too much (you said you would like to avoid all cheese). I would go for at least one Ion Cannon one - you will always have some Marines without that annoying Turbo-Boost save to target. The same goes for the three identical Crisis squads.

Does he bring a lot of Terminators? In that case some swaps from Fireknife to TL Plasma could be useful.

If I were you I would remove all Disruption Pods since they are rarely helpful and also remove the Shas'ui and Bonded from the Fire Warriors unit that your Ethereal will join. This will leave you with 40 more points to spend on a unit of Kroot Hounds or something else.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks for the advice -

3 HH's all the same....well the hammerhead submunitions does more damage than an ion cannon but i suppose an ion cannon is more likely to hit so ill have to try that out.....
as for the crisis i considered TL plasmas and flamer but maybe thats something to try as well....i like the higher volume of shots the fireknife can pump out, he has 5 termies atm so my plasma fire should be fine for that.

Disruption pods i regard as luxeries...but for the HH's they will sit at the back of my deployment zone for a bit and there i want them to be safe from rocket launchers, plamsa cannons, (lascannons but i dont know what their range is...) seeing as i want them all alive espcially if he gets the first turn.

I wasn't actually going to let the ethereal join a squad, just make use of his IC and sit behind one so he was almost impossible to target...sorry if i was ambigious...

so if i did change to TL plasmas and a flamer with some crisis (probably not all) and and ion cannon what could i buy for around 40 points?

also what do you think of tactics? have you played templars yourself?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is rare words to come from me but I don't know about the Etheral but maybe you should drop him against Templars. His foot trops will prbably move fast and you need to be mobile. I think that your lure with two units of Fire Warriors are well balanced here but they will most certainly die. He doesn't have any vehicles, right? Then there will be massive ammounts of troops and clever use of your mobility should win you this battle. Get a full unit of Kroot Hounds and you will hopefully stop one of his units movement for a turn or so, dividing his advance.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

well i think his marines are just your bog standard footsloogers...6" per turn....so my lure can't be in that much dnager (i mean they get attacked but by a weakened force), kroot hounds are expensive to buy.....and i need to already buy 4 more crisis and one HH to get this list....
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Okay. Black Templars fall back towards their enemy when failing a morale check. That makes them irritating.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

that won't happen apparatly his whole army is either fearless or has leadership 10.....!he doesnt have a black templars codex so is there anything else i should know about them?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't remember most of it but his EC can challenge characters to single close combat. I don't know if he can do this with your Etheral when he is not in a unit but make sure to check that before battle begins. Overall they are more close combat oriented than most Marines but that's just good for you, except that charging fall back.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pathfinders with railrifles help....railrifle ap is same as space marine armour save so I no armour save...
Old 16 Jan 2005, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I've had a good and long look at your tactics and I don't see any reason for you to be afraid of the space marines. your tactics look good and I see no reason why you shouldn't annihilate the space marines every time ( especially with the scenery covered boards we seem to be using.) Even without your carefully planned deployment FoF will utterly destroy him (unless i tell him the possible way to counter it which I won't )
There's also no reason to be scared of the bikes - Turbo boost looks scarey but until the next turn even with their invulnerable save the bikes'll be sitting ducks - right in the line of fire of the Tau weaponry. ;D I know you're scared of the command squad but it can only move 6 inches a turn and will almost certainly be obliterated by Tau fire. ;D ;D ;D