Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield drone confusion?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Shield drone confusion?

???

ive been reading the forums a while, wrapping my head around the Tau ins and outs (since im new new NEW to the tau and the game), and ive found many many great insights here.. but enough of that... i have a clarification on something thats bothering me:

ive been reading things like (rough quote)
"shield drones are useless nowadays, due to the majority save rule.. the only time you could use the 4+ invulnerable is when the drones OUTNUMBER the people its protecting."

im sorry, but from my fresh (v4 only) perspective, thats not right. the distinction is the v4 rule 'targeting mixed units with different saves' and the Tau codex rule 'tageting mixed units CONTAINING DRONES' (aka special drone only rule).

Specifically, you get to assign hits BEFORE rolling to-wound (so that lascannon would hit.. hmm lemme see.. the DRONE). once hits are assigned (lascannon to drone, in this example), then saves are rolled.. the drones roll is 4+ invul.. thereby, shield drones serve their intended purpose... right??

(/fluff moment) after all the drones are machine intelligences whose role is to support AND protect the Tau. they willingly put themselves between a Tau Fire Warrior and an incoming bullet. you know, Tau philosophy: For the Greater Good (everyone), and/or Take One For the Team (drones and kroot only.. hehe). (/end Fluff moment)
Old 16 Jan 2005, 19:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Shield drone confusion?

it would be great if that were the case and also would make perfect fluff sense...thats how it was in 3rd ed. but unfortunatley in the tau faq for v4 rules it states that the drones apply to the majority toughness/armour save rule, overruling that previously stated in the tau codex....doesn't really make sense but hey there GW for you!
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

no this is how I see it. In our games, we use the shield drone like this.

all strong attacks go to shield drone to save....lascannon, autogun

let's say it saved the lascannon shot and 1 autogun shot got through.

10 lasgun shots at the unit drone are in. lets say 4 don't get saved.

Those 4 then get saved by the drone, lets say 2 get through, that means we still have to take autocannon save to that unit... it gets through

so we take 3 wound off (or three models) because autocannon shot +2 lasgun shots...

That's how we do it..
Old 16 Jan 2005, 21:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent

let's say it saved the lascannon shot and 1 autogun shot got through.

10 lasgun shots at the unit drone are in. lets say 4 don't get saved.
ok heres how id do it, using the examples listed above.

my force would be 12 fire warriors, a shas ui w/ drone controller/ 2 shield drones

1 lasgun and 1 autogun, both hit: lasgun hits shield drone#1, autogun hits shield drone #2... shooter then checks to wound, and i save accordingly (hopefully).. either way the fire warriors breathe easy...

10 lasgun hits (s'ya right!) id set hit 1 to drone 1, hit 2 to drone 2, hit 3-10 spread throughout fire warriors (since thats the way it should be.. IMO)

the codex spelled out example is a lascannon hit, a heavy bolter hit (i think), and 3 bolter hits.. the tau chooses the lascannon and heavy bolter to hit the drones and the bolter shots spread though the unit itself

anyways, not to argue, but from now on in my game store thats the in-house ruling im gonna strive for, since i dont see it as too cheesy.. or even cheesy at all. and if the GW FAQ says that the lasgun hit assigned to the shield drone has to use the fire warriors save to save... ill argue that my (not really MY) way makes more sense.

PS: a cheesy abuse would be to have a drone squad of say 8 shield drones, then have an independant character join it.... >
Old 17 Jan 2005, 02:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Except you can't take a squad of sheild drones, just gun drones. You can make house rules all you want, but in GW sanctioned events you'll have to use the Majority Toughness/WS/ Armour Save rules. Which really blows, because that screws alot of other things. Since when did my WS6 Daemon Prince hit on 4's against Space Marines? Oh yeah, He joined a squad of CSM!!! Utterly pointless.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It is strange, but it's stuff like this we can't control...I think my house rules represent a drone diving to one side to blocka shot, and if he doesn't die, dive back t block some more.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

A Daemon Prince doesn't hit on 4s. Every model attacks individually - you just use the majority Ws of the unit which is attacked.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

We as a group read to new rules for shield drones, came to the conclusion that GW made another blunder, and are using the 3rd rules just for them until A) They came back with a real set of rules in the FAq or B)we get a new codex. The Inquistor Skull thingies still get in the way of shots, thats what shield drones are designed to do, end of story.

I think GW was thinking Gun drones when they made the rule and forgot about shield drones. Typical GW- Half-assed job again.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:33   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

There are a few other things that need cleared up. If you have a single Broadside with drones, he has to take a leadership test every time one dies, and every turn if they both die. Not so great. He only benefits from the all-on-his-own excemption if he starts with no drones. I did not realize this for some time.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

*lascannon bolt zips over your head frying the top of your antennae, and knocking out your trusy shield drone Roger*

"cripes they make me pay for those antennae you know...b****y marines"

*second lasmcannon bolt goes past the other shoulder (coincidentely blackening some nicely done hand painted symbol) and taking out your second shield drone*

"argh, the next one is for me! (not to mention the fact that drawing took me a while day to paint...)"

does that explain why they have to take all on your own tests? (hehe, im expecting you to say no!)