Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

If Power Weapon was a Weapon System would you take it?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default If Power Weapon was a Weapon System would you take it?

The subject asks the question. I would consider fielding it on HQ and a bodyguard unit.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: If Power Weapon was a Weapon System would you take it?

Maybe, but just as insurance(Lord knows we need it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to PaxAnteBEllum

Hells Yes
On My Master of Disaster suit
Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Iridium Armor
(Power weapon, he would be a CC tank!)
Old 17 Dec 2006, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxAnteBellum
Hells Yes
On My Master of Disaster suit
Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Iridium Armor
(Power weapon, he would be a CC tank!)
Ditto, oh how I'd love to get enemy units stuck against something I had in hth, and still be able to kick some arse. Just give that suit I.Armor, a shild gen., some Shild drones, and stims, and you've got a rock in your army that well blut all but the most determined assaulters (i.e. making your opponenet throw everything in there). In a game where MEQ's are the norm, the fact that thier is no AP when it comes to hth really hurts, because you can't do anything against MEQ's unless you have that power weapon.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 03:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I might find myself taking it on a Shas'o commander. That's about it, though. He's the only Tau model that's decent at close combat.

Tau Shas'o:
--Power Weapon
--Some other long ranged weapon. Depends on who I'm fighting.
-Vectored Retro Thrusters

Shas'O has the speed to get into close combat fast. When there has a Power Weapon that has a decent chance of hitting with the Shas'o's good WS, and he has the added chance of getting out of close combat with the Thrusters in case he finds himself fighting someone better than him.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

My friends and I made that a house-rule wargear once, a 'powerfist' for the XV8....I think it was either 5 or 10 pts, made all attacks on the model a STR5 Power Weapon.

Was basically a energy disruption field powered by a battery on the arm or chassis, connected to the fist of the suit.

If GW ever did that officially or unofficially like the railrifles in the beginning, I'd take them in a hearbeat. So many models would cry because of that.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 17 Dec 2006, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

The only problem is though, any basic hq would crush them in combat. Just take a chappy, the suit would go bye bye. Mainly due to our low initiative. Maybe also some sort of thing so he can't be instakilled in combat by powerfists? One powerfist attack is all it takes though, after shield drones are gone of course.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 17 Dec 2006, 06:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The thing is a power weapon would be nice but we cannot have everything. Strength and Initiative bonus' and things to negate insta kill would make us too good. There have been plenty of times where I have cursed the lack of a power weapon on my commander as without it even against guardsmen the sheer numbers can finish him off.

There have been options during specific GW crusades called "xenos blades" and some other upgrades but they were not cheap and only one could be taken but they did not take up a hard point. It is deffinetly irritating that Tau are the only army without close combat prowess of some kind or any sort of power weapon. Deffinetly annoying that we pretty much miss out on an entire phase of the game but then again we make up for it elsewhere.

Old 17 Dec 2006, 06:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

WOOT 100th post

Any ways getting to the real point, yeah a power weapon would be nice. It would probably have to be a special issue item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsujin
The only problem is though, any basic hq would crush them in combat. Just take a chappy, the suit would go bye bye. Mainly due to our low initiative. Maybe also some sort of thing so he can't be instakilled in combat by powerfists? One powerfist attack is all it takes though, after shield drones are gone of course.
Yeah he would still be stomped on by meq hq but thats what they are supposed to do to us. If i had a power weapon on an 'O or 'El i would have him fighting assualt troopers or finishing off weakened squads that i wont waste time shooting. I wouldn't expect any tau to be able to stand up to a Chaplain or Seer Council. The power weapon would be my backup up to my high power shooting of massed pulse weapons. I would deck him out with V.R.T. stims, shield gen, and probably the C.I.B. or burst. No need for str initiative, or anti-insta kill boosts, just make him good enough to be able to hold his own against at least basic troops and i would be happy
Old 17 Dec 2006, 08:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

If I could give my Helios Shas'O with Stims and Vectored Retro Thrusters a power weapon, would I? Sweet Emperor's teeth yes. Perhaps not against all opponents, but 5 S5 power weapon attacks on the charge is just nasty. A tooled up Chaos Lord only has slightly more then that. Granted, another CC HQ or a power fist would win, but I wouldn't really complain. That's what huge amounts of pulse weaponry is for.

Then again, my Shas'O (with Shield Generator that time) nearly killed a Blood Angels Chaplain in artificer armour WITHOUT a power weapon. And he's killed a Necron Destroyer Lord in CC as well. So with a power weapon he'd be able to put the hurt on just about anything.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Closed Thread