Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ashmodean's 1700 Points Army List
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Ashmodean's 1700 Points Army List

Sverige här också

I've built this army for "Vinterslaget" in Halmstad Sweden that is also 1700 points and maybe I can get some "nice" response in this topic since it's all about 1700 pts tournament. I did spend some time trying to take as many different choices as possible beacuse of the comp score. It could be better but it's allround and fun to play. I prefer "slow" firewarriors without fishes to save some points and make use of their 30" range. It's a matter of playstyle I guess, I don't dislike FW's in fishes but I have decided that they are to stay on foot

HQ Etheral [50]

Troops 1 Firewarriors (12) [140]
Shas'ui, Bonded

Troops 2 Firewarriors (12) [140]
Shas'ui, Bonded

Troops 3 Firewarriors (12) [140]
Shas'ui, Bonded

Troops 4 Firewarriors (12) [140]
Shas'ui, Bonded

Elites 1 Crisis Team (3) [214]
Twinlinked PR, Missile pod, Bonded

Elites 2 Stealth Team (5) [160]
Burst cannon, Bonded

Heavy 1 Broadside Team (2) [180]
Twinlinked railguns, Smart system,
Drone controllers(2 shield drones),
Bonded

Heavy 2 Hammerhead [165]
Railgun, Burst cannons, Multi tracker,
Decoy launchers, Blacksun filter

Heavy 3 Hammerhead [140]
Ion cannon, Burst cannons, Multi tracker

Fast Pathfinder Team (8) [231]
Pulse carbines, Target locks,
Shas'ui, Bonded
Devilfish - Decoy launchers, 3 seeker
missiles

TOTAL [1700] pts
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf
Default Re: 1700 Points Army List

Tyvärr inget vinterslag för mig då jag är upptagen den helgen..

Nice list, a little bit like my last tournament list..
Just two comments:

Broadsides - Consider Shield Generators instead. The T3 makes the whole unit go down easier to mass fire. And without drones you dont have to bond them.

Crisis - With this configuration you may only fire one weapon at a time. Expencive and not that useful. I would skip the TL and get a multi-tracker to get that boring but effective "fireknife".
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

well if its your style of play i cant really "argue" too much with you but have you ever tried the FoF tactic? it really does work! hmm, if i were you id get rid of the ethereal and put in a crisis suit to get some more plasmas seeing as you only have 3. Also your crisis configs are way too expensive...either take TL plasmas and flamers or fireknife to be the most points effective, after all that missile pod without the multitracker wont be too effective. The heavy support choices look nice, add some decoy launchers if you can though. As for the pathfinders dont tell me they are "fast" because the devilfish is a waste of points seeing as the whole squad needs to be stationary to fire markelights...overall that makes a very expensive squad which isnt going to *pay back its points cost...with the points saved from scraping it (up to you but highly reccomended) id get one more crisis suits (2 teams of 2) and some kroot, a nice mob of 20 is essential to cover those fire warriors and give them a little bit of protection. As for the fire warriors....ahh, take 2 in fishes, minimum, that still gives you two static squads to play with but those fishes will help keep some fire warriors safe at least and also become a very effective FoF teams....just "consider" it please!

Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah, I've been thinkiing of what to do with the broads, they're too expensive and valuable to not give them any more protection. Mass light fire isn't much of a problem atleast when I play, I have a nack of deploying them luckily or something ..... The reason for taking shield drones is if there are not that much cover I can put them in I can deploy them in the open and my opponent have to waste a few ap 2 shots if any since I can choose who takes what hits. If shooting light fire the broads soak it all up, if a few lascannon shots the drones will take it. Ofcourse it doesn't work against an army with so many lascannons that they can sacrifice a few extra shots just to get the drones down. Maybe I've been lucky using this combo or maybe it does work, it works for me anyway and that's what matters but it's a good point you make.
I have tried FW's in devilfishes but it just doesn't work for me, I prefer them on foot. The Etheral stays period ! * Good point on the Kroots but as many times before they just can't seem to get anything done no matter how I use them ..... Since you need the unit to be big they're an easy target for enemy light fire and they fall like rocks from lasgun fire. But it is tempting to use them but I just don't get it to work.
Good point about the 2*2 crisis suits, they are to kill marines mainly so maybe plasma rifle - fusion blaster - MT is something ? Str 8 for autokilling and tanks. That I will do, thanks for the tip.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun Dolf
"Don't build away the last few gaps in your list - Play them away!"
BRILLIANT!!!!

That reminds me of an army list i had that was 12 and 0 till it started getting walked over by a couple of brutal chaos players that i ditched. I think i might dust it of and give it a couple more runs to redeem itself

(i play chaos 2 so i can usually combat their tactics but that said, good summoning rolls and scatters will ruin ANYONE'S day. Even DZG's and 42's, so people play nice and don't forget to say your prayers to the dice gods b4 bed 2nite.)
Old 12 Jan 2005, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oh,

above i was referring to his encounter with death guard.

A shame all in all as t5 troups still have trouble with tau firepower. Even a Pulse Rifle wounds on a 4+
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

yeah, we all have bad days of "Dice voodoo" but its not really good to calculate for them, it messes with tactics something chronic, you simply have to make adjustments as you go.

and I have an opponent who plays Death Guard at my store, wasnt reallt a challenge (we played a combat patrol before we left) one FoF and le lost 1/3 of his force(dice vodoo ;D) and the Fireknifes mopped up the rest :P. it seems T5 isnt all that good against the pulse rifle ;D.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

In combat patrol - Tau is probably the most effective army while DG probably is one of the least effective. They are harder in 1500+ games. Just for consideration...
Old 13 Jan 2005, 07:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

mmm... I'm not so sure about Tau being the most effective, but for combat patrol I take

10 FW
-Shas'ui
-Bonded
-Devilfish
200pts

2 Crisis
Either TLMP or TLPR + Flamer
varies-pts

3 Stealth
90pts

this puts me between 4 and 10pts over but the group I play w/ dont quibble about a couple of points.
thats quite a bit of firepower, but nothing compared to what some other armies can muster.

Saim Haan
4 Vypers
Starcannon
260pts

3JB
-Warlock
-Destructor
-Wychblade
-Ghosthelm
141pts

401pts

thats a lot of mobile starcannons and a template and psyker in 400pts, kinda makes the Tau list look small :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 14 Jan 2005, 05:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

damn that's and awefully mobile and nasty eldar list.

Closed Thread