Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FoF Discussion
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default FoF Discussion

jeez its only a tactic, i sware some people live off it...* *;D

Personally i dont use it and others certainly do not have to use it as its all about personal opinion, so feel free to try it but dont be pressured into using it consistently as it seems pretty much everyone here uses it, except myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500 pt list

hehe, I use it because it's the only way I've ever used them but yeaa. FoF is becoming the marijuana to TO by everyone pushing it on people and pressuring them in to do it. hehe, strange comparison, illegal narcotics and 40k.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

lol, well i havent heard them together before! i wouldnt say FoF is the most common tactic used here...id just say some of the post common posters tell us about it a lot. Ok i wrote that sticky on it but it doesn't mean i take every squad mounted, sure its more tactical but i dont like the fact the fishes can be blown up with flukly shots and like to amke use of 30" ranges on the pulse rifle, having said that i also like 24 str5 rapid fire shots out of a fish so in my Tau army i have 2 mounted fire warrior teams and 2 static...oh yeh and a whole lot of kroot! (did i mention these guys rock?)
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
lol, well i havent heard them together before! i wouldnt say FoF is the most common tactic used here...id just say some of the post common posters tell us about it a lot. Ok i wrote that sticky on it but it doesn't mean i take every squad mounted, sure its more tactical but i dont like the fact the fishes can be blown up with flukly shots and like to amke use of 30" ranges on the pulse rifle, having said that i also like 24 str5 rapid fire shots out of a fish so in my Tau army i have 2 mounted fire warrior teams and 2 static...oh yeh and a whole lot of kroot! (did i mention these guys rock?)
I spose so, but thats all i seem to read from you and dizzygamer and to be honest i find it quite frustrating as using FoF limits creativeness and originality in an army as you need several fishes which could be spent differently to make a different more imaginative list and tactic... thats my opinnion anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: FoF Discussion

I havent used that tactic yet (i will as soon as I finish my army) but i would assume if you use it to many times your enemy will adapt and figure out a good way to take the fish out as soon as you pull up with it. It would suck to lose a fish but also lose one full of FW.. ugh.

KABOOM

retreat!!!

;D
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

it has pros and cons like almsot all strategies....answer? well there isnt really one definitive one but i go half and half on mounting to still keep some of my eggs safe!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

See, around here we ruled that since skimmer movement was described as down near the ground, almost touching it at the end of the Move, then there was no shooting under them. That was before v4.

I haven't tried it yet either, but the FOF seems like the logical reaction, although it opens one up to enemy rapid fire also if you drop in straight off at 12". That means the DF has to be closer, and that makes me mighty uncomfortable. I'd drop them in regular "V" shape and deploy on the "pointy side", behind the DF. I'd also do that so tha the FCWs are at around 15" away from the baddies. This means they get minimal shooting first round, but if the enemy moves up a full 6" then they are (A) walking into rapid fire range and (B) still can't directly assault for a full turn. That's 2 turns of shooting underneath the DFs and taking better advantage of the 30" range of the plasma rifles as well as keeping me out of Jump Pack range a while longer. I don't have to hop back in right away either.

The reason I'd dust off in a "V" instead of an inverted, upside down "V" is because I present more of my front armore that way so the units trying to go around the outside and get around the formation are shooting at front armor. Ideally, they be looking at "front" instead of "side" unless they B-line it toward the middle of my two DFs, which is unlikely. People see and obstacle, they automatically think "go around it".

I think these are going to be my only mods to the FOF as presented here.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

The FoF is best used to wipe out a unit. Use it in combination with other fire to make sure the survivors won't be a major threat. I lurk with my fishes until the right moment comes for them to strike.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm thinking of 4 Carbines and Shield drones to mitigate return fire. Does that sound like a good idea, or should I just do a full unit of 12 and skip the drones and extra protection?
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, 42, your two squads can get up there and blast 48 shots . Oh wait, my 72 can sit back and do double that . Using Fish armies isn't my style because of the cost in points. I believe a solid core in any army is the common foot soldier. Sacificing them for a "mech" army just isn't cool. Anyway, at 10pts. each it is very easy to have 72 FW's in all 1,000+ point games.
I'm tired of being poor, and even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull a trigger, kill a nigger, he's a hero
Givin back to the kids, who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
first ship them dope, let them deal to brothers
give them guns, step back and watch them kill each other
It's time to fight back, that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark, now Huey's dead I got love for my brothers but we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other we gotta start makin changes learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers and that's how it's supposed be how can you tell them take a brother if he's close to me I'd love to go back to when we played as kids but things change, and that's the way it is come on, come on that's just the way it is things will never be the same that's just the way it is, ahh yeah X2 I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate, makes disgrace the racist we under, I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted take the evil out the people, they'll be actin right cuz both black and white are smokin crack tonight and the only time we chill is when we kill each other it's takes skill to be real, time to heal each other and I know it's seems Heaven since we aint ready, to see a black president it aint a secret of a sealed up fact penetentiarys packed, and it's filled with blacks but some things will never change tried to show another way, but ya stayin in the dope game now tell me what's a mother to do? being real don't appeal to the brother in you - yeah - You gotta operate the easy way - I made a G today - but you made it in a sleezy way sellin crack to the kids - I gotta get paid - well hey, well that's the way it is chorus talking ... we gotta make a change it's time for us as a peopl
Closed Thread