Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Future of the Pathfinders
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Future of the Pathfinders

Seeing as how many people reject them due to their a bit off-set rules. a la devilfish requirement, what do you think GW will do to fix them, if they do?

I'm sorry but I'd really like a nice Fast Attack Choice for an Enclave army, and I would get some Tetras, but for now I'd really like to see something revised for em.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Future of the Pathfinders

I like the tetra idea too, but some people do use pathfinders, but i doubt anything to do with tau will get revised for a very long time... so its probably not worth thinking about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

Still, many of my opponents are scared to death of Pathfinders for some reason (I must have been lucky with them before) and they always go down first. If they weren't that costy I would use them as a lure. I suggest one simple change to them - don't force them to take the fish! That would make me play them again.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

its not to hard to get your oppoents to let you bypass the fish rule...well it shouldn't be! Hmm, they are a bit of a points sink, ebing quite fragile but by no means a worthless points sink, if they are played in dense cover then they suddenly become amazing! To improve IMO markelights should be assault weapons, fast attack units with a heavy weapon standard? the tetras are quite cool but they need to be on a fairly large board...just sitting at the back trying to make use of the disruption pod and the long range of their markelights to maek them work...id like to hear from people that have used these?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Tetras are good and look good (I will soon post some pictures of mine). They can travel 12" and fire both their carbine and markerlight. With their 24" free move before the game they are perfect for tank hunting (rear armour) in enemy lines as well as a distraction from your main plan. They are not that lasting and I advice not to give them a key role in your overall plan. They are also good for capturing/contesting objectives in the last round. I have only played a squad of two but I guess that with 4 of them and some seeker missiles the enemy really have something to worry about.

I really hope the rules will go official soon!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hey folks, new to the forums, but not to Tau. glad to see so many good v4 tactics being bandied about cause I got my rear handed to me the first few games under the new rules.

I used Pathfinders then and plan to use them now. An 8 man team with 2 Rail rifles to marker for a 6 man XV15 team and you have yourself a nasty little combo.

I usually start about 8"-10" from a short edge and then move them towards that edge and cover as fast as possible, however, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll get as far behind enemy lines as I'm able.Get them out quick and into cover, though, so you can start using those Markerlights or you've wasted you time and your points. Deploy the Gun drones from the PF DFish at the same time and slide them out to about 14"-18" in front of the PFs, only moving away from the PFs to shoot, then scoot back. This creates a lame harassing unit for the enemy to have to target, and if they are assaulted it's far enough away that the Carbines can rapid fire. Other side of that coin is that if the enemy is concentrating on the PFs and their two measly drones, they're ignoring something else!

With 2 rail rifles, I think I'll be able to target where I like and still marker light for my XV15s, where they are maintaining that 16" range for optimal shooting. That grants me 6 x 3 = 18 S5 AP5 that ignore cover and bounce around annoyingly taunting the enemy to chase them down or use valuable shooting. It stinks using XV15s as bait, but with a could of shield drones they can take it. That plus 2+ FCW and a couple of Hammerheads and there's so much shooting going down that it should be tough to pick the best target.

You want GW to do something to make them "better"? They did - the Rail Rifle. I suppose having the entire unit being able to upgrade to Target Locks would be nice, say 7pts each even if they don't take the Rail Rifle, but that'd over complicate things. As it is, 35pts to have a sniper in such a fast, advance team is pretty sweet. I think 3 is overkill, so I'll be sticking with just the 2 in my PF unit.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
hey folks, new to the forums, but not to Tau. glad to see so many good v4 tactics being bandied about cause I got my rear handed to me the first few games under the new rules.

I used Pathfinders then and plan to use them now. An 8 man team with 2 Rail rifles to marker for a 6 man XV15 team and you have yourself a nasty little combo.
Its good to see some people still use them, like myself... anyway seeming as this is your first post i feel its my duty to welcome you to tau online, im one of the two moderaters here in the tau board, but hopefully i wont have to enforce my power upon you - if you stick to the rules... anyway (again) welcome and have fun and keep up the good posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks. I look forward to being around a while....at least until v5 sometime next year....lol

Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have seen the Pathfinders/Stealth Suit combo used but never tried it myself. I have to do that sometime. It just seem an expensive way of getting numbers of S5 shots to hit.

What I definitely will try is to keep my Pathfinders inside the fish a little longer. I tend to deploy them already on the first free move and then lurk with the Devilfish (4 seekers) behind cover. I now realize that it is quite stupid to use the mandatory fish this way. Of course it's better to keep them mobile until you see what your enemy is doing and then deploy them out of immediate danger. Hell, this way the Stealth Suits combo is probably really good as wel.

I can't believe I have been so narrow-minded about their use.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think if you successfully plant them around Markerlight range away, you're okay. You can dump them out early or late, but in a mission like Recon or something, deploy as fast as you can because after that free more, you're likely to be going down in flames.

I will remind folks that the free move (and any DF move for that matter) never need be toward the enemy. Sometimes setting up shallow and then taking the free move backwards is just unnerving enough to put an opponent off his tactic.

Closed Thread