Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluffy, yet effective Crisis suits: A guide.
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fluffy, yet effective Crisis suits: A guide.

After being vastly infuriated by accidentally closing the window prior to saving the first page of this, i'll skip much of the non-guide related intro and just say that I always wanted to type this up. :P

[hr]

What are the options available to my XV8 suits, and how fluffy are they?

This will be put into list format, as it's a lot easier to type up. Also, items are put in descending order from fluffy to boring, and also have a "fluff factor" and personality trait assigned to them.

[hr]

Failsafe Detonator: This allows the bearer to detonate his suit after suffering an attack that would be fatal on him.

Fluff Factor: 10/10. Look at this thing.. he blows himself up for the Greater Good? How fluffy is that? As for the individual Crisis suits..

*On a Shas'o or a Shas'el, he's willing to give up his life to save his retinue/army. Of course, it may seem to be a bad idea to put such a piece of equipment on a valuable unit, but it has its uses. If he gets killed in assault, he still has a chance to earn some points back. Why you have an 'O or 'El in assault in the first place, though, is still a mystery..

* On a Shas'vre bodyguard, we can see that he's willing to blow himself up to save his Commander, which is obvious.

* On a regular Shas'vre, you could say that in his Trial by Fire, he was willing to put himself in the face of danger to save the rest of his Crisis team, and after being elevated to Shas'Vre he elected to bear the detonator.

Personality trait: Altruism.

[hr]

Ejection System: This allows the wearer of a Crisis suit to get out of it right before it gets destroyed.

Fluff Factor: 9.7/10. It gets a little penalty for not kicking in until after a battle, or perhaps during it, but think of what you could do with it! Another possibility is that the wearer has also used the system in the past and is comfortable with it.

* On any Crisis variant, this signifies not just determination but also a sense of bravado. Someone who was used to being able to fly around and fire weapons that could demolish tanks is reduced to someone not even wearing armor and armed with a lowly pistol. He doesn't give up, though, or take a moment to rest. Instead, he keeps on fighting, perhaps even joining the units of his subordinates.

Personality traits: Bravado, determination.

[hr]

Stimulant Injector: Allows its bearer to benefit from the "Feel No Pain" special rule.

Fluff Factor: 9.5/10. Another system whose fluff is more related to battle. Of course, a lot of interpretations can be made about how its bearers use it.

* On a Shas'el or a Shas'o, we can infer that the bearer has a strong confidence in the abilities of his suit's new special system, and would possibly put himself in harm's way just to get another shot or even punch in.

* On a bodyguard Shas'vre, we can see someone who is more motivated to throw himself in front of his commander as he does not have to fear pain.

* On a standard Shas'vre, it would be much like the Shas'el or Shas'o mentioned above. This pilot would be willing to get himself closer to enemy units just to fulfill his battlefield role.

Personality traits: A sort of reckless altruism. On the other side of the spectrum, we could have someone who is numbed to the pains of the realities of his battlefield role and will perhaps develop battlesuit neurosis soon.

[hr]

Next up: even more systems, and if I have time/room, how to put this all to use.

I'd love to know what you guys think so far, though. Does this show any potential?

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
KanmuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Fluffy, yet effective Crisis suits: A guide.

Err, I don't know about you, but I would put all of them less than 5/10 in the fluff scale.

Detonator: 0/10. Why? Because Tau value all life (well, maybe not so much on orks). But especially on a vetran (Shas'ui and up), they're too valuable to loose. Commom sense would dictate to jump back into friendly lines when overrunned rather than scream "For the Greater Good!" than charging the enemy line and blowing him/herself up.

Ejection system: 5/10. Again, with the "Tau value all life thing", I'm pretty sure that a Tau pilot would get out of harms way before taking enough damage to blow up a suit. And Tau are so fragile that they would probably prefer to stay in an damaged suit than to jump out of the cockpit and fight sans-armour.

Simulant: 3/10. Seems VERY un-tau-ish. Using chemicals to augment one's fighting potential? Tau would probably have thought it was very primative and gue'la-ish. (especially chaos)

Sorry if this sounds very negative.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I see the ejection system as being very much in keeping with the value Tau place on the lives of their soldiers. Even in a practical sense, you are balancing the worth of the vehicle against the worth of the training the pilot has received. The stimulant injector can be thought of as an emergency life-support system, which again emphasizes the care the Tau take with their pilots. It doesn't enhance your perfomance or interfere with your mind like Combat Drugs, but instead keeps you alive when you would otherwise be dead.

But yeah, the fail-safe detonater is not as fitting in my opinion. I can see a Tau deliberately over-loading his suit to allow his comrades to escape. Actually planning that out in advance well before the battle, though, is not as understandable.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

All good points there. I'll make sure to add those in and include my original opinions as the "overly optimistic" side. :P

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
KanmuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Still, doesn't the fluff justify the means? Whatever the description the book gives doesn't have to be the description you give to the army. Just consider the failsafe detenator to be just a pilot who dabbled in computer programming while not fighting. The points justify his added experience, not some additional explosives on board. I mean, if it was really just a pack of explosives, it should blow up due to ranged combat too.

No, this guy is smart, probably too smart to be in a simple crisis suit and is just working his way up the ladder towards bigger and better suits. He gets hit and he knows that it wasn't just his suit that took the brunt of the damage. And with a cry of "I'll cover your retreat" or maybe just "Hey, watch this!" he commands his suit to fire all remaining missles but makes sure that the release mechanism is jammed. Remember, you aren't upgrading for the ability to blow yourself up, you are upgrading for the ability to know HOW to blow yourself up.

The Stim pack and the Ejection seat. Two very polar arguements. One refuses to get out of his crisi suit and the other refuses to stay in it. I guess the happy medium would be to ignore both of these upgrades and blow yourself up- thus removing the arguement as you will be both inside AND outside at the same time.
Allsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 23:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

good read!! I could read a lot, LOT more of stuff like this!! keep it up!

Now, my opinions, on those three systems, and most importantly, opinions that aren't even formed as I type, so this will be a bit of fun, and may open my own eyes a bit. Here we go!

Failsafe Detonator: I see this as totally fluffy, and a bit deliciously scandalous.. as it gives a glint of insight to what the term "The Greater Good" may actually mean! While it is true that the Tau value life and will not waste it, that is NOT to say that they dont value individual sacrifice for the greater... whole. (gotcha!) So, a Shas'Vre that has this Detonator installed will look for those key moments when it will greatly benefit the larger plans, or where he can personally avert disaster, or failing all of that, he will look for a way to make his certain death very very costly for the enemy if it cannot be avoided (exactly the same things the Tau player will be looking for.. huh!!). The way to look at the fluff of the Failsafe Detonator is to see its activation as a fantastically heroic act, not as a banzai charge to arrange its use intentionally. It would not be a 'dirty trick up your sleeve', its just what it is labeled: a Failsafe. My Fluff score? 9.00 (not a 10, because then it would seem to say that every cadre on the field would have to have one, and thats not what this is about)

Ejection System: I LIKE this upgrade as well. This is for the Commanders only though, not a Bodyguard or a Crisis Veteran, as these two fielding this kit would be seen as arrogant, snobby, full of himself, etc. But for the Commander, its a great fluff item: The commander takes a lascannon to the chest, and gets ejected, lands, dusts his legs off, and joins up with a nearby firewarrior team (hopefully with a nice Yarick pointing an shouting pose), utterly exposed to the harsh environment, yet standing there immensely noble and fearlessly continuing the fight... I mean, whats more heroic than that above scenario?? Nevermind the VP denial factor, instead, focus on the alternate scenario, where the commander is shot down 'behind enemy lines' and the resulting heroic escape and stealth suit rescue attempt.. it would be a narrative little side story that would only add more to the game! Fluff score? For Commander: 10. anyone else: -2.

Stimulant Injectors: On a Commander: scandalous and a bit dirty... on a Crisis /Veteran: Darkly Characterfull... on a bodyguard? Heroic as hell!! The Crisis Monat who chooses the Stim Injectors and then flamboyantly dives into the heart of danger, only to emerge each game battered but whole, makes for a great 'lone wolf' character thats not a commander, just some crazy Veteran that likes Gue'Vesa Tobacco, likes to use his Fusion Blaster as brass knuckles, has kill tallys of dozens of tank kills all over his suits' chest, and simply.. wont... die... is about as fluffy as any Shas'Vre can get!! Dont you agree? Now, on the Bodyguard, it signifies the loyal bodyguard who always stands directly between his commander and the biggest gun the enemy has, out of Duty. His Earth Caste Suit Technicians have seen to it that he can do his Duty to the absolute best of his, and their, ability. And Beyond. Thus, Stim Injectors. Fluff score? On Commander, -2. On Bodyguard: 9. On characterfull Monat: 11.

So, we see that my definition of Fluff is something that adds character, and adds a story simply by being there, and by playing them out in a game. Not so much adherence to GW literature in all its forms.

I will harp on the rest of the special issue gear as they come up. (I already have another characterfull monat who has a Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Vectored thrusters, and Iridium armor lined up to describe)
Old 06 Dec 2006, 00:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
The Crisis Monat who chooses the Stim Injectors and then flamboyantly dives into the heart of danger, only to emerge each game battered but whole, makes for a great 'lone wolf' character thats not a commander, just some crazy Veteran that likes Gue'Vesa Tobacco, likes to use his Fusion Blaster as brass knuckles, has kill tallys of dozens of tank kills all over his suits' chest, and simply.. wont... die... is about as fluffy as any Shas'Vre can get!!
I could imagine a special character like this. BS4, WS4, I3, 3-4 attacks, Furious Charge, 2-3 wounds, Shield Gen, Stims, VRT and Fusion. Maybe fearless. No power weapons. Basically a Ninja'O type.

Fluff-Wise he could be a Team Leader who had had nearly his entire cadre destroyed in combat against orks/tyranids/imperial forces/whatever (similar to how monats are the last members of a team, and seen as morose). Hailed as a great hero of the Greater Good, he is close to the snapping point and, contrary to the Tau method of combat, seeks out the bloodiest carnage on the battlefield. Perhaps 100ish points (probably 10-20 points higher though).

Basically something CCish that doesn't try and get a power-weapon equivelent and focuses on the way tau cc-characters are (Ninja'O being the only one).
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Can't you only use the failsafe while falling back from a close-combat?

I'm pretty sure you can't just jump in, give a quick, "Die, suckas!" as a power fist heads toward your face, and blow yourself up. Because you fall back when you lose in a close combat... and it's going to be pretty tough to lose and NOT die. If you're dead, you're not falling back, you're... well... dead. And so that awesome bomb can't be used.

Hmm. Personally, I think the failsafe should be an "activate when falling back" OR "activate when your team is falling back and you die" OR "it's just you, and you die" situation. That'd seem a lot fluffier to me.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah I've boycotted the failsafe detonator myself. Like Khanaris I would probably be ok with it if it was a reactor overload (but would make a few jokes about it being a mechwarrior ripoff) and on a model that was mortally wounded anyway, but as a purpose made bomb? I just don't think they'd make something that would kill the guy using it deliberately.

The ejection system I see as VERY fluffy. It's basically the anti-failsafe. Instead of building something that will kill the user, it's something that could easily save his life. OK

The stimm injectors are kind on the border. I imagine it would be seen as crude to inject their warriors with combat drugs, but it could always just be a "more machine than tau" kinda thing where he's basically a giant anime-inspired Darth Vader
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I see the FSD as a very fluffy device. A leader who sacrafices himself to save the remainder of his unit and take as many of the enemy with him as possible. Very noble, very heroic - and very Hollywood. Just think of scores of WWII movies where the Hero gives his life to save others. I like it.
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote