Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does this Battlesuit configuration (Shas'o) look good?
Closed Thread
Old 02 Dec 2006, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default Does this Battlesuit configuration (Shas'o) look good?

Ok, I was reviewing a list and I thought of a Shas'o that could pump out an impressive amount of shots per turn at ballistic skill five and here is what I came up with.

Shas'o - 115 Points
Burst Cannon
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Missle Pod
Hard-wired Multi-tracker

So the basic idea is, he mows down infantry like no other. If it is just basic infantry he is after, he uses his Burst Cannon and Cyclic Ion Blaster (curse the two weapon per turn limit), unleashing a salvo of fire. Eight shots into a Guardsmen squad sounds good to me, leaving it pumbled into sumbmition. On the other hand, if facing a foe in Carpace Armour (pesky Storm Troops/Kasrkin come to mind), he can turn on them with his Cyclic Ion Blaster and Missle Pod, all that training for nothing when seven shots of armour piercing four is flying at you with supreme accuracy eh? And even then, he can bust light tanks with a lucky - well not so lucky at ballistic skill five - shot from his Missle Pod. So does this look like a reliable commander suit configuration?

I think I'm going to name this style of Battlesuit a Typhoon.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Does this Battlesuit configuration (Shas'o) look good?

In my opinion, he's a very good anti-GEQ commander. Now, if one were to make 2 Shas'el's, set up as:

Shas'el 1
Burst Cannon
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Targeting Array
(HW) Multi Tracker

Shas'el 2
Missile Pod
Airbursting Frag. Proj.
Multi Tracker

This would cost more points, but it allows you: More shots/turn, a bit of specialization without packing all the special weapons on one suit, and more wounds combined.

The top suit has the Targeting array so more shots will hit, and the bottom one doesn't because the AFP doesn't require a high BS to shoot.

Personally, I never like to equip my suits with more than 2 weapons, since you can only fire 2 in a turn in the 1st place (w/ the HWMT.)

Also, you mentioned Guardsmen, and didn't seem to mention any type of power armored unit. Because of that I'll assume that you face the higher saves more than the lower saves, which is why I suggested the Airburst Frag. Proj. in my above profile. THAT, my friend, will cut down massed groups of high save infantry.

If you would like to really stick to one suit, then I would say that your posted config would be great for high save armies. Just don't forget that it's not going to be as effective against lower saves.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 02 Dec 2006, 07:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree that 3 weapons on a single suit is a bit of a waste. I use a command squad (and everyone's gonna cruxify me for mentioning it) With all 3 suits with MPs, my Shas'O with CIB, Shas'Vre with an Array and Burst Cannon, and another one with the AFP. Deadly vs. light armour at long range, and really screws up...well, EVERYTHING at close range. obliterates 4-6+ saves, and takes out 2+ and 3+ on the "make 'em save 'til they fail" concept. That's 7 shots hitting on 2+, 5 shots hitting on 3+ and 2 shots hitting on 4+, plus hopefully a good number of wounds from the AFP.

Granted I haven't been able to play test them yet, but my Shas'O hasn't failed me on his own yet.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 14:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not bad but I prefer to use a similar set up for a Shas'El . My set up is like this : Shas'El with ,CIB , Missile Pod , Targeting Array , HW Multi Track for around 90pts.If I have a extra points then I add Stim Injector.
This set up has been a great infantry killer ( even MEQ's), at the very least he will draw away a good number of enemy units from objectives or other units. No one will ignore a model with seven shots even if the odds of wounding are low.

I use a Shas'O has a long range harasser unit to add fire where needed , and always have him set up : Plasma Rifle , Missile Pod , Shield Gen (for extra survivability ), and HW Multi Track .

I never put three weapons on a suit preferring to get wargear or support system on the third slot.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 02 Dec 2006, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

i'd drop one of the weapon systems myself,(preferrebly the missile pod) and get some other equipment, a sheild generator or the targetting node, or you could just have a multi-tracker.

This is because i don't like having more weapons than I can use, but it's up to you
Old 02 Dec 2006, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i use Cyclic Ion Blaster fusion anti infantry missle pod cuz its cool and the fusion blaster for tank hunting with a multi-tracker
dunno if thats anygood havent had a chance to test it
Old 02 Dec 2006, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to spacmarine2000

I agree with Hadhfang about dropping the missile pod, as i just dont think its really necesery, and a more usefull suport system could be used, but thats just causei feel the same way about having more weapons than you can use in a turn. However, i supose its usefull against any light vehicles that might break your lines or come near him. Other than that, a great build and supremely effective against light infantry armies, AKA Guard!

Cheers, spacmarine2000

Add me if you like, the more the merrier! http://www.myspace.com/oh_pwndizzled
Old 02 Dec 2006, 17:50   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmonkeys
i use Cyclic Ion Blaster fusion anti infantry missle pod cuz its cool and the fusion blaster for tank hunting with a multi-tracker
dunno if thats anygood havent had a chance to test it
This might work in a very small army, where your commander needs to handle multiple roles, but I would never recommend it in a larger army. You are always wasting at least part of his capability. He is flexible, but unfocused.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm gonna have to say: drop the Burst cannon and get a dedicated AP4-killer that can also take on some lighter tanks.
I generally play with my "Hailstorm" configuration(CIB + Missile pod) when playing against any army with a lot of 4+ saves and light transports. Eldar and Imperial Guard come to mind. I've made some calculations, and come to the conclusion that the +1 extra shot from having a burst cannon is greatly outweighed by the Missile pods higher strength and, most importantly, better AP.

Sometimes I also twin-link the missile pod, simply because it's cheap, looks cool and can be invaluable when no 4+ saves can be found and my Shas'o goes a-tankhuntin'.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 23:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, the way I typically outfit my commander (I just figured that I'd throw in a playtested config along with my other two that I posted) is in a spin-off of what I believe is being called the "Aurora" config, with:

Shas'o
Plasma Rifle
CIB
Vectored Thrusters or Shield Gen
Hard wired Drone controller (2 shield drones)
Hard wired multi tracker
Stim. Injector sometimes,too.
Iridium Armor sometimes, too.

It seems expensive (because it is.), but he generally earns back his points for my style of play. He's obviously an anti-MEQ suit, by the way. I outfit him with the Stimms or Iridium depending on who I'm playing, my points reserve, and my general mood. Same goes for choosing between the VrT or Shield. For Anti-GEQ, I would probably end up using the dual suit setup I've mentioned above, but I've only played against Guard once, and that was when they were allied with a Deathwing Terminator army, so I decided to keep my commander as he was for that battle.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Closed Thread