Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors and Carbines
Closed Thread
Old 01 Dec 2006, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fire Warriors and Carbines

Ok, so I've got 3 squads of 8 fire warriors to assemble and I'm not sure how to kit them out.

How many (if amy) should have carbines? I was thinking of one carbine squad for center defence with pulse rifles taking flanks, but is it better to spread them out? Or simply not have them at all?
Old 01 Dec 2006, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Fire Warriors and Carbines

Well, I'm not a fan of the carbine squads myself, but I will say this - it's all or nothing. Throwing in a couple of carbines to a rifle team isn't effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would advise going all rifles on them. I don't know why would anyone want to exchange the best infantry gun in the game to turn his troops into what basically has become a poor man's Dire Avengers...

Don't rely on your opponent's bad luck, just get these rifles and shred his army in a hail of pulse fire ;D. If you want carbines, Gun Drones are much more survivable and a better harasser. If you want to pin, Sniper Drones are your bet. Fire Warriors should just shoot stuff dead.

My $0.3.

edit: And yes, mixing weapons is a waste. Uniformization gives a unit a clear battlefield role and helps maximizing its potential.

- Caboose, an alien
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

I agree with core here...carbines are a waste in a fire warrior squad...leave that to the drones. keep it uniform, keep it long range, and your fire teams will prevail...For the Greater Good.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good point. I have three teams of sniper drones and a squad of pathfinders, plus a gun drone squad.

Maybe if I was doing FoF a carbine squad might be more useful, but I only have one transport and it;s going on the pathfinders.

by the way, anyone know any good quickie markerlight conversions? I made my pathfinders out of fire warriors (just dropped the shoulder pad and gave them carbines, but I feel I should represent the markerlight.

I was very disappointed to see that the fire warrior sprue didn;t have any on it.
I mean, really, we get exactly one special weapon option and, like five pieces of wargear...and what do we see of it? Just drone controller and bonding knife.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not only should you ignore carbines in the squad, but also upgrade a Shas'Ui, give him a bonding knife, a markerlight and a Multi-Tracker. This allows concentrated fire on target units. Use the Markerlight to up the BS of the next squad, or call in a strike from a Seeker or other unit nearby.

As for the ML conversion, take those carbines you're not using, chop off the Grenade launcher, then the end of it (there's a line you can cut down) then cut the carbine barrel just at the big circle thing at the end of the gun, then glue that to the end of the Grenade Launcher. Now put the whole assembly on the top of the carbine for the PFs, or underslung on a rifle for a Shas'Ui.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

Green stuff is always an option when it coems to converting my friend.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 15:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
Not only should you ignore carbines in the squad, but also upgrade a Shas'Ui, give him a bonding knife, a markerlight and a Multi-Tracker. This allows concentrated fire on target units. Use the Markerlight to up the BS of the next squad, or call in a strike from a Seeker or other unit nearby.
I take the Target Lock rather than the Multi-Tracker. Usually what I'm marking is beyond pulse rifle range and even if it is in range then the Pulse round usually won't do anything.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 15:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Rivon, that's a fantastic idea. I was thinking of using the grenade launcher. I didn't think of using the end of the gun.

As for gear, I was thinking TL so that the squads can support each other by lighting the other's targets
Old 01 Dec 2006, 15:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've tried both ways (I use a firebase of 3x8 too) and I prefer the Multi-Tracker. Most of the time my FWs are all shooting at the same target anyway (the closest thing to them) and the single extra shot sometimes will make the difference. Statistically it means you're garaunteed 4 hits every turn, instead of 3.5 or 3.75 or whatever. I'd rather that, and then add the Marker to possibly up the hit ratio.
Closed Thread