Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight
Closed Thread
Old 30 Nov 2006, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to mwolfy Send a message via MSN to mwolfy
Default Farsight

Ok i played a game the other day with farsight for the first time, and he and 4 bodyguard wiped out a 500 point unit in CC. It was the space marines that are red that can get death company i beleave. Anyway he said it was a chaplain and an honor guard or something like that. The combat finished off with only farsight left with 2 wounds killing the unharmed chaplain. Now i know i lost alot more points than he did, but these was the only assault troops that made it to me and the rest of his force was easy to kill because i could outmanuever him. I almost always play meq armies that have some fast element that makes it to me in cc, as i can never kill them all in time. Since farsight did so well, im considering including him from now on. I just need to know if that was lucky or can i count on him to produce similar results against assault marines or similar units. Also, how would he fair against eldar in cc because there is a new eldar player who has howling banshees and striking scorpions(i think never played eldar before). Is this a stupid idea, or can it work? Feel free to call me an idiot just be sure to explain why
Old 01 Dec 2006, 00:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: farsight

The SMurfs your thinking of are the Blood Angels.

Farsight is a great CC unit for Tau and the only effective Tau fighting character and unit (I'm counting only tau units no kroot or vespid). But he can still be killed. I wouldn't try charging with your uber Farsight death unit but if they are charged they will hold their own for a while. I would suggest shooting rather than CC. And I think the dice gods blessed you that day so I wouldn't count on it happening every time.

Old 01 Dec 2006, 00:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, either the guy you were playing against doesn't know the rules (Entirely likely since no BA player ever wastes points on an honor guard), was a cheater, or that wasn;t a chaplain.

BA chaplains lead the death company, that's mandatory. Two chaplains lead a bigger death company. A Blood Angels chaplain can never have an honor guard because he ALWAYS leads the death company.

A 500 point honor guard is probably something like eight people jump packs with powerswords and terminator honors. Probably a sanguinary priest in the mix. That's a killer squad, to be sure but no seasoned BA player bothers with such a huge points sink. Better to put your commander or librarian with an assault squad. Cheaper, very effective and you can take advantage of IC status.

I suggest you take that guy;s BA codex, roll it up and smack him with it.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 13:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I too advocate violence against your friend.

Do you know how the crisis suits were configured? I'm just curious about relative point values.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

It sounds to me that you wre very lucky that day..and that your friend is not that good of a player. I as an ex-marine player know to not sink my points so much into one unit.
I know Farsight is a good character...I wouldnt suggest taking him all the time, just use hime when you know what foe you are up against...such as orks or nids. Be careful and mindful of your use of him and you will do good...

Blessed by the dice gods indeed...
Old 01 Dec 2006, 15:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: Maurice Louisiana, 3 miles from civilization and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to shadowclasper

jeez... maybe I'll get farsight (been wanting to mod him anyway)... I've checked out the Dawn Blade... that thing is a necron killer... no armor save allowed, doesn't that mean no WbB rolls? so no Necrons rezing all the time? combine that with rolling 2d6+5 for armor penetration rolls against vehicles (basicly means that against the best armor value, 14, he has 1 in 3 chance of hitting and a 1 in 4 chance of getting a penetrating hit) +3 armor save +4 invulnerable save, semi-cheep, some of the best CC stats any Tau unit has (and has any one noticed that Tau's WS increases as they go up in rank, not their BS, aren't they supposed to think of CC as distasteful?) you come out with a pretty mean necron smasher, specially with the plasma rifle which also kills armor saves...

Shas'O Tash'var Vral Ko'Vash'Shi: "Or'es'Shas has only met with one crippling defeat, at the hands of the metallic dead... and we shall purge them form the galaxy, not just to avenge our fallen, but to prevent them from slowing the greater good's advance ever again." Before the battle to save refugees on Medusa V from being harvested by the Shadow Lord, a necron lord and killer off over 500 fire caste on the planet Yadsmood.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 16:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not that great. The only necron vehicle that I know of (monolith) has that pesky living metal rule that negates extra penetration. So he'd be S + 1d6 like anyone else.

He's our only guy who can ignore saves in CC...that doesn;t make him fantastic melee guy, that makes him average. Just because we have one guy with a sword doesn't mean you have to use it. he's better off staying at a range. A blast from a plasma rifle is more lethal to a 'cron than his sword, and more effective
Old 01 Dec 2006, 16:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Farsight

Tau already are wicked awesome at shooting and the step between BS3 and 4 is a sisable one though. And after so many years of fighting their eye hand cordination will improve in HtH or they will be dead.

Old 01 Dec 2006, 16:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not entirely sure of the point you;re trying to make
Old 01 Dec 2006, 19:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Farsight assaults are always a mixed bag. Against small units, with or without power weapons (but not fists!) can sometimes be smeared by him, but some poor rolling can really put you down 400ish points. Big squads of say hormaguants or orks are generally also a no no. They will simply force you to take too many saves to survive.

Also against your eldar friend I would not recommend assaulting his units. Farsight should always be a sort of counter-assault unit. In essence he's a true 'crisis' suit. The fire power his beefed up squad can dish out is glorious, and in the chance that the enemy locks with a squad of yours his counter charge can really help.

However if I remember correctly the Banshees will strike before you, so there are going to be a few dead suits before you can retaliate.