Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newb Questions.
Closed Thread
Old 30 Nov 2006, 21:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Newb Questions.

I just started playing Warhammer so cut me some slack.

Rule Questions:

1) When putting drones in your army so, for example you have 12 FW, one with a drone controller (allowing 2)...does this count towards your squad size? SO...can you have 12 FW + 2 drones? or is it 10 FW+ 2 drones?

2) With the Kroot, from what I can tell you can have 20 Kroot, 12 Hounds, and 3 riders....in 1 troop unit? Not that it's necessary but is that how it works with them?

3) I've seen in some places that the Krootox is a HS choice? Is this old information, because I can't find that anywhere in the codex?

General Questions:

4) I know the book makes a big deal about your models reflecting their equipment literally...so if my crisis suit has a flamethrower equipped, than the model should have a flamethrower on it. Is this a standard rule, or is this smudged...because I see this as somewhat overkill monetarily?

5) Ethereals seem like a silly choice for an HQ considering the penalty of their death and the overall advantage of a crisis suit...is it really that bad? How often have all of your troops ran away?

6) The characters seem overpriced point wise, is this true? Or am I missing something.

7) How do you get shield drones? I have yet to get the items to make them in anything, and I know they are not for sell, but they obviously have different pieces.

I have several more, but I'll spare you the laughter.

Thanks!

Old 30 Nov 2006, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123
Default Re: Newb Questions.

1. you can have a maximum of 12 FW not including drones. drones are an optional edition which does not take the place of a FW.

2. Yup. That would be one massive squad though. ;D

3. those are the rules in the old codex, GW scraped them when the new codex came out. Krootox and Kroot hounds can now be included in one troop choice with kroot warriors.

4.I'm not quite sure what you mean, but i'll guess what you mean. All weapon and support systems must be represented on the model. wargear doesn't have to be.

5.In short, always take a crisis. You are quite right, they have a much bigger advantage. An ethereal is a good idea once you have established an army of around 2000pts, although, always keep your crisis commander.

6.No they actually seem quite reasonable to me. For example, farsight is really decked out with gear, and he Can have up to 7 bodyguards. that a hell of a lot of fire power all in 1 squad! ;D

7. the only way I can think of is in the shadowsun box. You might be able to buy some on ebay, or at battlewagon bitz.

Hopefully that will cover everything, please feel free to correct me on any mistakes I have made!
Old 30 Nov 2006, 22:09   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

firewarrior123 covered your questions quite well, so just what I can add:

5. Well, "Always take a Crisis". Actually you couldn't *not* take it even if you wanted, as they are a mandatory choice (your army must always include at least one Crisis Commander).

6. Most of the people in the gaming world seem to believe Special Characters are rather overpriced, with a few exceptions (Phoenix Lords and new Zombie Eldrad for example), and Tau characters are seen as being particularily bad. In most cases you'll be better off just taking a regular Commander over them, any day.

7. In Shadowsun's box you'll get two. Also the classic XV15 Stealth Team Leader and Pathfinder Shas'ui blisters each contain one shield drone, too.

Cheers!

- Caboose, an alien
Old 30 Nov 2006, 22:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

For shield drones, look for things like spare shield generators and put them on the drones.

The more you mod and convert, the cooler your army gets!

PS: Aun'va sucks! O'Shovah FTW!
Old 30 Nov 2006, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Few things to add to the above, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterV
3) I've seen in some places that the Krootox is a HS choice? Is this old information, because I can't find that anywhere in the codex?
I'll just confirm that this was the old codex. You have nothing to worry about here.

Quote:
4) I know the book makes a big deal about your models reflecting their equipment literally...so if my crisis suit has a flamethrower equipped, than the model should have a flamethrower on it. Is this a standard rule, or is this smudged...because I see this as somewhat overkill monetarily?
It really is overkill, you're right. However, this is really only an issue when concerning certified tournaments, as you will have to bring what you claim to have. In casual games, it shouldn't ever be an issue to state that, while dude A is holding X, he's actually equipped with Y.

Quote:
6) The characters seem overpriced point wise, is this true? Or am I missing something.
This one is all about opinions, but most people will readily agree with you. Farsight is the only one who's really useable, since he actually changes things around a bit, instead of offering a sub-par and uninteresting unit.

Quote:
7) How do you get shield drones? I have yet to get the items to make them in anything, and I know they are not for sell, but they obviously have different pieces.
The normal ways to aquire them are from stealth Suit Shas'Vre blisters, and Pathfinder Shas'Ui blisters. I think they used to come with the old Ethereal blisters, but don't quote me on that. Regadless, you can't get those anymore anyway, so just occupy yourself with the first 2 options.
However, if you don't need the real things (Which, honestly, aren't that nice anyway), one of the best looking and functioning conversions is to just take a gun drone, and instead of putting the guns and mount on it, glue a shield generator from a Crisis suit on instead. You might want to add a little more for a personal touch, but otherwise these 2 pieces with a couple antenae will look great.

Old 30 Nov 2006, 23:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Beyond that, look for stickies on magnets for gun switching
Old 01 Dec 2006, 00:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

For sheild drones you can get them with the Pathfinder Shas'ui or the old school Stealth 'ui. Converting your own will just take a sheild generator on the bottom of the drone and two anttenae.

Old 01 Dec 2006, 01:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
1) When putting drones in your army so, for example you have 12 FW, one with a drone controller (allowing 2)...does this count towards your squad size? SO...can you have 12 FW + 2 drones? or is it 10 FW+ 2 drones?
the drones DO NOT count towards the squad size.

Quote:
2) With the Kroot, from what I can tell you can have 20 Kroot, 12 Hounds, and 3 riders....in 1 troop unit? Not that it's necessary but is that how it works with them?
yes 1 troop for all of them. Minimal you need 10 kroot mercs

Quote:
In the old codex the Krootox was a heavy, but not anymore, you saw old info.

Quote:
generally guns MUST be on the model. But for other minor thigns like grenades for infantry, or insignificant upgrades are usually overlooked.

Quote:
5) Ethereals seem like a silly choice for an HQ considering the penalty of their death and the overall advantage of a crisis suit...is it really that bad? How often have all of your troops ran away?
Ethereals truly suck, they suck so bad they aren;t even very good at sucking.

Quote:
i wouldn't know

Quote:
they come with pathfinder shas'ui, and Shadowsun. most people make them scratch from spare drones.
Old 01 Dec 2006, 01:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For the Shield Drones, take a drone and a spare multi-tracker bit from the Crisis Suit (the thing with the antenna and looks kinda like a bug's eye with bubble lenses all over.) Cut off the Antenna and the Crisis mount and flip it over, glue it to the drone disc. See page 7 of the codex for what it should look like. Shield drone, done!
Old 01 Dec 2006, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

Actually, the codex states that Fire Warrior squads numbering 12 or less (INCLUDING Drones) may take a Devilfish. I assume this means that if you take 12 Fire Warriors and drone, that squad WOULDN'T be able to ride in the Devilfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Closed Thread