Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MEQ kill ration comparison: Mounted Fire Warriors VS. Sniper Drones.
Closed Thread
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default MEQ kill ration comparison: Mounted Fire Warriors VS. Sniper Drones.

12 FW in Warfish w MT, DL, TA = 240 points
VS
3 sniper teams

I'll just sart by assuming that the FW are in Rapid Fire Range, and the Snipers can all see some MEQs.

FW: 24*1/2*2/3*1/3 = 2.66667 MEQ kills
Warfish: 7*2/3*2/3*1/3 =1.037037
Total = 3.7037 MEQ kills

Snipers:9*1/2*5/6 = 3.75 MEQ kills

So the Sniper gets slightly more MEQ kills.

But there are other factors to consider.

Snipers Pros:
2 ML hits a turn on average(Awesome)
Ability to pin
Ability to shoot at up to 9 different targets
Ability to deploy so as to cover multiple fire lanes
Stealth field+36" range = avoids enemy fire quite well
Small Footprint
Able to more effectively deal with light armor
Psychological factors (What You just shot at 3 different targets and they all have to take a pinning test? Wait, you also markerlighted a 4th unit with the same team on the same round? I have to roll night fight to hit it? etc... etc...)

Sniper Cons:
Non scoring
Not mobile
Small units are easier to break sooner.
Drone controller dies, entire unit gone

Fortunately its pros mitigate some of the cons since stealth coupled with range = hard to kill. But watch out when enemies get close. Unfortunatly, it is a non scoring unit.

Mounted FW team Pros:
Mobile
Comes with a skimmer
Warfish mat shoot wile out of LOS.
FW's are scoring
May be deployed in rapid fire range and not be forced into CC (FoF)
Benefits more from a single ML hit

Mounted FW team Cons:
Relies on DFish (if the fish dies that expensive 240 point unit loses 90% of its tactical punch)
Also relies on the FW's to be healthy and alive. In other words, every FW you lose adds more sting than usual since you must somewhat factor in the cost of the transport. Lose 4 fire warrrios from a static base and you've made that base less effective. Lose 4 from the mounted squad, and the DFish itself loses some of its tactical value(FoF worth much less with less FW's).
FW have to spend turns embarkig and not shooting
1/2 of the unit is non scoring.
When dismounted the FW are vulnerable to bolter fire

So they both have their respective strengths and weaknessess and can fill different roles.

BTW against GEQ, the mech squad is obviously the clear winner, but maybe whe you take the pinning into account along with the support of 3 BS_ markerlights,
I think that snipers can still make a good show against GEQ.

As stated however, snipers are better anti MEQ. Also as a lure, sniper teams are golden.

For workhorse status though the Mounted FW are somewhat better since they can handle GEQ so much better.

Interesting to see that the Snipers are not that far off all around though.

Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: MEQ kill ration comparison: Mounted Fire Warriors VS. Sniper Drones.

If they weren't heavy support, sniper teams would be pretty much a permanent part of my army. Their shining moment so far was one team simultaneously detonating three sentinels and marking a command squad.

The strangest part is that they'd done absolutely nothing but MOVE (you read that right, I said they were moving for 4 turns) after my opponent had managed to place things so as to avoid their firing corridor (placed'em in a completely stupid place but other explanation sounds better).

If you're not expecting or scared of the vehicles you'll face, however, you may want to forget the broadsides (do take a railhead though).

If they were troops or maybe even elites, they'd be perfect.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: MEQ kill ration comparison: Mounted Fire Warriors VS. Sniper Drones.

Nice comparison. Ive always loves sniper units and tau sniper drones are a must have for me at least. Glad to hear they;re useful.

One noob question: Could someone explain what MEQ and GEQ stand for? From context I gathered MEQ are marines/other hard to kill targets and GEQ are hordes, right?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

MEQ = Marine EQuivalent. Ie; 3+ with t4. Necrons can be considered marine equivalents, as can some exarchs,etc. Things you want plasma for.

GEQ = guard equivalent. Pulse and bolter-fodder. Things you mow down merilly with hammerhead pieplates.

As you've guessed, there's generally a lot of GEQ (whether melee or ranged), thus a little more horde-ish, whereas marines are more... er... marinated I guess.

The sniper drones themselves really are quite good. Their main flaw; can't move+fire, is what brings on most of the other problems, so if you're playing static or hybrid they're very nice. Like any drones, they're a very good points-bargin for what you get.

The only real other problem with them is that our heavy support slots have OTHER drool-worthy things in them, which makes choosing a little tougher.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very interesting... Very very interesting... the only problem is that they take the heavy support slot. Just like gun drones in fast attack. Great, but i want my pirhanas
Old 30 Nov 2006, 00:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't discount the gundrones either... they're the best bargin in the empire. At just under 100 points you get 8 JSJ-capable pulse carbines with slightly better accuracy and initiative than a fire-warrior, and that can deepstrike to boot.

The vehicle-mounted pairs are great expendable speedbumps though...
Old 30 Nov 2006, 01:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

GeekyGator

Since you like Piranhas, it makes it easier to use a heavy support slot for the snipers for the following reasons.

The Railhead may have better GEQ killing potential than snipers with its subs, but becomes less important as a tank/heavy hunter since you've got fast fusion in the Piranha. Therefore, it frees up tank hunting pressure on the HS slot.

The Skyray is very similar to the Snipers in function, having markerlights and seekers, as well as the ability to cover multiple fire lanes via other units markerlights. But it has less MEQ killing potential and less overall offensive capability.

The Ionhead has the MEQ killing potential of snipers and somewhat better GEQ, with slightly better light vehicle killing ability, but lacks markerlights.

The Broadside has better armor killing capability, and better GEQ, but lacks MEQ and markerlights. Plus, targets may be limited as the reputation of the Broadsides makes people hide from them and/or target them for early removal.

The snipers have a few unique abilities such as pinning and the ability to shoot at up to 12 targets with 3 teams (9 rail rifles, 3 MLs). Also, they have those stealth shields which can waste enemy shots and force enemies to make aggresive moves into prepared traps. Also, the sniper drones multiple units makes them less vulnerable to any single attack.

So, Since the Piranhas will be picking up much of the armor killing slack, the Broadsides become less neccesary, as does the single shot on the railhead. Since the rest of the tau army can take STR5 weapons, the submunition becomes somewhat less important. So all that is lacking is plenty of MEQ stopping power. That means Ionheads, and Snipers in the first two slots. The last slot is then free to take whichever othe unit you like. A Railhead, a Broadside team(although their expense is hard to justify when using piranhas), a Skyray, or even another Ionhead.

So while I agree, there are many other great units in our HS slot, but spending one slot to get up to 3 teams of snipers with great MEQ killing power, great support capability, and unique capabilities other HS don't really have(pinning, target locks, stealth) is a steal. Besides that still leaves 2 open slots for whatever you like.

Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For broadsides and snipers, the reputation alone (at least for my friends and I, the snipers are gaining one) can be worth the points cost. people can and (understandably) DO try their best to steer clear of them.

just make sure the only "clear" is right where you want'em, and they've won you a fight without even firing a shot.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Although I have yet to play with Snipers, my basic plans for them are this: Sit them in the area with the most LOS (along with my FW firebase and Shas'O with...you bet, C&C Node!!!!) and divide and conquer! I'd try to get them as close to the middle of the board so they can divide the flanks and my DF, Skyrays, Pirhannas, Stealths and Crisis (can we just lump them as TX's and XV's?)
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmm I have sniper drones and never used em yet. I was really afraid of how they would perform, but the mathhammer looks alright for em.
Closed Thread