Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monat Broadside advice/Tactics?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Monat Broadside advice/Tactics?

Well, my starting army is going to have a single broadside because, well, that's what I can afford.

Here's what I'm kinda going for
-Monat Broadside (Leader w/TA, HW drone controller, HW Multi, 2 Shield Drones) 120

My other heavies are a kitted up Railhead and a full complement of sniper teams. So the monat is my 'cheap' heavy

I have a few questions.
Which is better? The stability system, or the targeting array? I would think you'd want your railgun to have more than a 50/50 chance of hitting, but at the sme time, being able to move out of the way, or move into position and still keep shooting has to be nice.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about twinned plasma instead of smart missiles. It's a few more points, but it seems a decent way to slow down that terminator assault squad that just beamed in a few inches away

Also, someone told me that shield (and marker) drones don't count for morale/last man standing but gun and sniper drones do. Is this true? I can't find anything in the codex or the faq that says if my monat loses his shield drones won't have to make last man standing tests.

If my shield drones do count for morale, is it worth it to put them on a monat? I mean, I could see it on a whole team. Two more ablative wounds. But if I have to make a freak out test for a monat when one of his bodyguards gets popped, it doesn;t seem like it;s worth it at all. Especially if an unwounded suit falls back off the board because he lost his drones.

Anyhow, any advice/tactics/page quotes would be a big help
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Monat Broadside advice/Tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad_Knight
Well, my starting army is going to have a single broadside because, well, that's what I can afford.

Here's what I'm kinda going for
-Monat Broadside (Leader w/TA, HW drone controller, HW Multi, 2 Shield Drones) 120

My other heavies are a kitted up Railhead and a full complement of sniper teams. So the monat is my 'cheap' heavy

I have a few questions.
Which is better? The stability system, or the targeting array? I would think you'd want your railgun to have more than a 50/50 chance of hitting, but at the sme time, being able to move out of the way, or move into position and still keep shooting has to be nice.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about twinned plasma instead of smart missiles. It's a few more points, but it seems a decent way to slow down that terminator assault squad that just beamed in a few inches away

Also, someone told me that shield (and marker) drones don't count for morale/last man standing but gun and sniper drones do. Is this true? I can't find anything in the codex or the faq that says if my monat loses his shield drones won't have to make last man standing tests.

If my shield drones do count for morale, is it worth it to put them on a monat? I mean, I could see it on a whole team. Two more ablative wounds. But if I have to make a freak out test for a monat when one of his bodyguards gets popped, it doesn;t seem like it;s worth it at all. Especially if an unwounded suit falls back off the board because he lost his drones.

Anyhow, any advice/tactics/page quotes would be a big help
The railgun is twinlinked, so you have 75% chance to hit to begin with (89% with TA). The Stabilizer is not mandatory, since you have two shield drones (so you can take hits, and return fire next turn) but I might still go with it. It also makes hunting lighter vehicles (APC?) easier.

I personally go with SMS, because plasma is also available in Crisis suits. no LOS weapons are always handy, so I prefer them.

As for the drone question, I think all drones are the same, so they count for morale tests. I haven't used Shield drones my self (don't have models, and use shield generator often).

Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I go for ASS/SMS at all times. That thing was made for broadsides, and I don't know how I lived without it. [actually I didn't. more hammerheads]

Being able to fire your full complement (if anything's actually in range of the missles and there's line of sight to something for the rails) while moving a little is priceless to me. Changing the angle of your firing lane makes a huge difference sometimes.

Other times (dustball planets or a mistake by the opponent) its less needed, but even then having the option is simply nice.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Forgot about the twinlink. That certainly does take some presure off. No question TA is useful, but doesn;t seem as critical now.

As for SMS, I like smart missiles. I think they;re neat. But plasma seem to fit the target profile for railguns You;re unlikely to be shooting the railgun and the SMS at the same target, but I could see throwing both out against a tank or an approaching marine/termie squad.

I do have a plas rifle on my HQ, but my elite suits are monat deathrains. Food for thought anyways.

Well, if shield drones do count against moralle, are the worth taking?
Could I actually take a bonding knife for him and then be able to regroup after my drones are dead? Nothing in the rules prohibits it, but it;s completely gainst fluff (but then so is panicing and running off because of your beloved expendable drones biting it)
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you lose a shield drone, there's a chance you'll A) panic, and therefore B) move and thus not be able to fire.

These things are quite bad.

Monat suits don't panic when a drone dies. Frisbees are there for that. They probably shouldn't count against morale unless you had several and now they're all gone... but anyways...
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do you have a rules quote that says monat suits don;t panic if a drone dies?

I can;t find anything under drones or battlesuits
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There is none. thus what I said. If there's a drone, its a unit. If its a unit and the drone dies, then as far as I know, last-man-standing.

If you have two and lose both of'em, well, chances are the broadside would've been dead without, but 'under 50%' last man standing... he's pretty much gone anyways.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 11:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry, it was the word 'don't' instead of 'shouldn't that threw me off.

What about a bonding knife? Near as I can tell, its legal. Granted, you still have to actually make the Ld tests, but if a marine can do it with LD 8, so can we. Or is it still not worth the risk?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 11:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

For a 5 point bonding knife, might as well get it. Just paint a stick on your broadside, and BOOM it's a knife. Maybe just take 1 shield drone? If you take 2, and lose both, they will be under 50% and no scoring unit.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 29 Nov 2006, 12:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Of course it's worth it. 5 points to keep a threat on the board is quite worth it. Keep in mind if you're actually worried about this, seriously consider the ASS, since (this has been confirmed) you're allowed to use it during fall-back to both slow your progress off the board, and continue to shoot while doing so. It just makes the suit so much more effective, I don't see how it can't be so heavily considered.

Closed Thread