Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ranking up FW's
Closed Thread
Old 29 Nov 2006, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ranking up FW's

I've decided to completely disregard tactics and put my FW's in a nice looking formation. What I can't decide on is when I have 6 FW's, should I put them in one rank of 6 or two ranks of 3?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 05:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ranking up FW's

Um...this is a bit of a silly question...

Besides getting owned by template weapons, ranking FW does next to about nothing. Sure careful placement on a FoF (i.e. by ranking) might help maximise the number of shots in range but in most cases ranks mean nothing (unless you're guard...).

However with six guys in squad there's hardly any reason to form them up. Put them in a single row. This way you'll at least know that all the models will being in range.

And I dunno if you were previously a fantasy player, but formation means nothing in 40K.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 06:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Quote:
owned by template weapons
Thats all that needs to be said. Space your firewarrios out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 29 Nov 2006, 06:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Is it for the greater good to stand photogenicly whilst the earthshaker shell screams towards you?

Leave rank stuff for High Elf spearmen. Space them out and be glad that you can.

Old 29 Nov 2006, 08:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry, I must have gotten my idea across wrong. I know ranking doesn't affect the units abilities (Except IG close order drill). I don't want to worry about how the unit will perform on the battlefield but merely which one is more aesthetically pleasing. FW usually don't play much of a part in my games so I figure them being a 1+ choice I might as well make the ones I do have to take look nice. (Then again, I use 2 units of 6 cause I don't want to not use any of the models from the box and 2 units are, once again, aesthetically pleasing )

Maybe I should explain my thoughts behind this. I think FW are really good for ranking up because they have these really long guns. I used to play marines for a while and u just don't get this kinda affect with marines. The bolter is too short, they are boring and ranking them up just looks crap. But with FW, ranking up looks awesome. Okay, so it's tactically useless but 40k isn't just about tactics. It is just as satisfying to place a good-looking army on the table as it is to win a well-fought game. I'm slowly starting to learn that.

And yeah, I do play fantasy as well. But I play WE's so there is hardly any ranking up there either.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 13:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Let me just say this- ranking up you FWs vs an IG army with 3x mortars= absolute death........ i wasnt thinking last game, and lost 270+ pts in a few turns due to trying to look all coherent for the greater good.

Kapow

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 29 Nov 2006, 15:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know exactly what you mean about ranked up fire warriors looking great! That's one of the reasons I started playing Tau in the first place.

If you're going to rank them up I'd either

a) 2 ranks of 3, you can't rank up without ranks!

b) put all the warriors in one big unit of 12 and do 2 ranks of 6!

Screw the greater good! Ranking up will get you killed but who cares if you look good doing it!

And I'll close by quoting the esteemed Captain Mal Reynolds:

"We're just to damn pretty to die."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 18:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
I've decided to completely disregard tactics and put my FW's in a nice looking formation. What I can't decide on is when I have 6 FW's, should I put them in one rank of 6 or two ranks of 3?
Two ranks of 3 works fine when you space them out and dont have them standing shoulder to shoulder. Close enough to help make sure that all of them can shoot the same target but not so close that even ordanance cant get many of them under one blast and its not a bad looking formation.

Formations can be useful but they arent anywhere near as important as they are in say fantasy. They mostly just look nice but thats not saying you cant do it if you want to.

Old 30 Nov 2006, 01:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanx for the replies everyone. I've decided to put them in a big unit of 2x6. U really need bigger numbers for ranking up and 6 just wasn't quite enough for my liking. For those who don't play super competitvley, I would reccommend u give this a try. They look absolutly awesome!

While we're talking about making FW's look good: Is it pushing it too far if I give them bonding and give them all a knife and the shas'ui a sword? Maybe in the farsight conclaves it would be legit fluff-wise.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow Ur Dead
i wasnt thinking last game, and lost 270+ pts in a few turns due to trying to look all coherent for the greater good.
Hooray for Incoherency!

As to modelling, as long as it has no effect on the game, you can give them tutus and pink umbrellas (more armour than the average guardsman) for all it matter. The sword idea sounds good.

Closed Thread