Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Suit Drone Swarm? Anyone tried it?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealth Suit Drone Swarm? Anyone tried it?

Every stealth suit in a squad can take a support system if you want. Therefore each of your six suits can buy a drone controller and up to two gun drones each. Correct?

And the drones would gain the benefits of both infiltrate and stealth field, right?

It would be expensive (300 points, plus fusion, leader, market, etc) BUT...come on, a 18-man squad infiltrating in, laying down 30 S5 shots (12 of which are twinlinked) and using nightfight rules against any poor sucker who lives long enough to fire back, moving and then doing it all over again! Oh, and they pin. MADNESS!

Since I haven't seen any "Stealth swarm" units in the lists I've been reading I'm assuming there must be some hidden flaw, or the points cost is too massive to justify it. Something, right?

Right now I'm strongly considering disassembling my 6-model drone squad and mating them up with the stealth suits (saves me a few points in the meantime) until I can get more drones (and find a way to scrape up the points to add them in)

Edited for my noobosity
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Stealth Suit Drone Swarm? Anyone tried it?

Wouldn't the gun drones only get 12 shots?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 11:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Whoops. Sorry, I forgot Carbines are assault 1. Stupid newbie error.

Still, that's "Only" 30 S5 shots

The only down sides I see are A: the expense, and B: you have to cocentrate all that firepower on a single squad since nobody would have TLs except maybe the leader.

Still, it's enough to eradicate just about any given squad on the first turn
Old 28 Nov 2006, 11:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've done it before, and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. Basically you can wipe out a unit of marines a turn with it. Just 2 things though... 1. always upgrade the team leader, you never know when his extra ld will come in handy, and 2. never take the fusion in the squad as with this many s5 shots you want to stay at a 24" distance from your opponent (after the second jump of course) so that unless they have beasts or cavalry you don't have to worry about being assaulted.

Another thin you might notice doing this is that your stealth unit automatically becomes target priority number one. No army bar the imperial guards all mechanized force can afford to let that many str 5 guns just moving around freely. The stealth ability will help you somewhat, but to be honest you need to use terrain to its full effect, preferably blocking line of sight to most of your opponents army.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought the biggest drawback to the idea was keeping that many models together. I mean, good luck having all 30 of those shots able to fire at something every turn without some half of the squad either unable to see a target or out of range.

I think the key to this idea was, and will continue to be moderation. Taking 6 drones instead of 12 gives you a smaller squad which is easier to hide, provides the extra shots from the drones which can do their pinning stuff, and padds the wound count on the squad - that is, failed saves can turn into drones instead of suits.

Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

One thought:

If you have the slots, why not one 3 man squad with 6 drones, and a second stealth squad (3 or 6) with fusion. The drone swarm provides a welcome distraction for your tank-killers to pop in and bust some armor.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Okais

I've been thinking about this alot too... haven't tried it but I always take the targeting array for each stealth now. Still expensive, but 18 shots hitting on 3's! definately worth it i think. Will have to try the drones one day though.
that is the greatest!
Old 28 Nov 2006, 14:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

When it comes to infiltrating...wouldnt a fully loaded Kroot squad work too (without krootox of course) besides the fact that they cant take down enemy armor. Ive tried a combo with Kroot and Stealth teams..and I was surprised that it actually worked.

drones are nice but keep stealth teams small in regard...use terrain and your assault jump to full advantage and if you use kroot...youd have a brilliant distraction...better than sacraficing another stealth team
Old 28 Nov 2006, 14:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think I'd sooner try three suits with six drones than six suits and six drones. The problem with one drone per suit is that the majority armor save only saves you from one turn of fire. After that your suits'll outnumber your drones and majority armor save will dictate that they take the fire instead. Double drones means at least another turn of protection.

As for Kroot, they can be a good combo, but unfortunately I haven't got any right yet. I'm just starting out. Plus, Kroot are famed for assaults, it's what they're good at. Unfortunately once they get locked in combat, the distraction is over. Other units simply move out of consolidation range and wait to blow them to pieces once the assaut ends.

I think two 3 suit/6 drone squads would be more effective than a single big one in this case. Put them on different flanks, hitting and running, harassing the enemy and denying them the chance to lock up the painful swarm with a well placed assault or pieplate
Old 28 Nov 2006, 14:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I think the problem with "what happens if I scatter into that dangerous terrain? or off the board? or into that Leman/Defiler/LandRaider?" is a lot less scary with 180 point unit than with a 300 point unit. Have to remember 300 points is a full fifth of a 1500 point army.