Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau: Suits Army?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New to Tau: Suits Army?

Hi all. I am new to Tau and like the suits; crisis, stealth old and new, and broadsides. I would like to build my army around 2 fw squads with devilfish, and the rest would be suits. Maybe three stealth squads for elites two HQ with bodyguards, and some broadsides. can this work? if so what would you suggest?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to Tau: Suits Army?

Well, an all-suit army has be created and discussed. I suggest you use the search function.

However, if you want some ideas, I would be more than happy to expalin a few things:

A few problems with all-suit armies are: 1)cheesy appearance (min max troops/suits) 2) lack of models (every suit that goes down will hurt a lot) 3) lack of firepower (suits can't dish out enough for it's cost).

However there are several key advanatges. 1) Mass mid-high str/ap weapons. All the high AP/str weapons are found of suits, and with mass suits you get lots of powerful shots. However, most of the suits will be BS, so on average 1/2 will miss. 2)JSJ, probably the most annoying element of the Tau. Thei ability to shoot the enemy but they can't shoot back. This should easily protect your suits. 3)Scare tactics. Suits are usually known as 1 (or 2-3 man) shooting powerhouses, they usually can engage any target and the result is usually screaming/moaning and general explosions on the other side. So suits are pretty good.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think your idea is a good one ;D
Stargazer, you said he didn't have enough firepower, but stealths dish out plenty of that...
As for the crisis, they are also very flexible, and can be used for many purposes (tank killer with fusion blaster, troop killer with burst cannon, armor killer with plasma rifle, all around killer missile pod...) they are one of the most versatile units in 40k.
That being said, Hammerheads are a necessity for tau armies (in my mind.) Railgun+SMS can't go wrong, the submition round for Hammerhead is a great addition compared to the Broadsides. So maybe 1-2 Hammerheads can fit into your army
I have always loved fire warriors, but hey, no ones forcing you to take em. This wil be an interesting army indeed...I would like to see some results (battle reports)
Old 28 Nov 2006, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I plan to use 2 squads of 10 or 12 FWs in devilfish. Should I leave them static and get a couple Hammerheads instead of fish? I thought mobile rapidfire squads would be a good way to reinforce the suits. I don't know much about the mechanics of the tau army list. Your help is appreciated, but
I am not looking for reasons not to build the army, just ways to make it as effective as possible. I was thinking of one 3 man HQ squad with fusion, plasma and a couple shield drones, and the other with twin linked missile pods and I'm not sure what else????? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

sounds like a cool concept, but you'll definatly have to work out some problems. Heres the main one i think: nids. I play a friend with them pretty regularly and everytime i do my battlesuits get smoked. there just not fast enough to escape those really annoying hormogaunts that fleet 6 then charge 12. If i were doing this army i would consider taking one or two railheads for the flexibility they offer, because i don't think your stealths would be enough to stop a horde army, but just my opinion.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Good point. I would probably take 2 Railheads and 1 full squad of Broadsides. That should take a large chunk of your anti-vehicle/anti-horde needs away. Then from there tack on your 20 Firewarriors and that will give you a good anti-infantry base. Take 1 or 2 Shas'o/Shas'el with Fireknife configuarations(my personal fav on commanders). Use their IC status to piss off your opponents. Take a squad of Deathrains for light vehicle hunting and a maxed out squad of BC stealths. If you were facing an army that was slow to react or an army that would "camp" units in the back(IW, Shooty SM, IG, etc...) then take a squad of 1 or 2 Crisis Suits with TL Fusion Blaster + Burst Cannon and deep strike them. Granted, I have never tried anything like this but an all suit army should be difficult to begin with... This sounds like it would be a fun list and an absolute enjouyment and chalange to play. Have fun and let us know how it goes! For FA choices, I would probably go 1 squad of Pathfinders and 2 squads of Pirahnas. JMO though.

Why don't you tell us specifically what you had in mind?

Crimson Hawk

--Commissar_Will
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to donutboi88 Send a message via Yahoo to donutboi88

since we are talking about suits i want to know if you can use a XV25 and a XV15 in the same stealth squad? ??? like for example have 2 XV15's and 1 XV25 as the squad leader or vise-versa?
*sweeeekksshhh*
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was thinking:
2 squads of 6 XV15 stealth with BC
1 squad of 4 XV25 stealth with 1 fusion blaster, 2 shield drones the +1 bs thing on the fusion stealth. (if i can do that?)
2 squads of fws with devilfish
2 squads of 2 broadsides
2 units of 3 crisis suits in the hq slots: 1 squad with tl missile pods and I don't know what for the third hardpoint; the other with fusion, plasma, +1 bs thing and 2 shield drones.
I haven't got the new codex yet and have not figured out the points yet
maybe some markerdrones would be a good idea? a markerlight in the fw squads? seekers on the fish? what do you think?

Old 28 Nov 2006, 04:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboi88
since we are talking about suits i want to know if you can use a XV25 and a XV15 in the same stealth squad? ??? like for example have 2 XV15's and 1 XV25 as the squad leader or vise-versa?
I see why not (I gues you got the idea from DOW DC, right?). It's more of a modeling thing rather than a rules thing (they're almsot no different).
Old 28 Nov 2006, 05:01   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

2greensmurf:
If you're going to take Targetting Array (+1 BS) for your Fusion Stealth, you'll have to take support system for each Stealth in the same squad (p.35 of the Codex)

Remember that Marker Drones on suits cut their mobility in half (they can only move in Assault phase)

I also recommend to give Shield Drones (and of course Advanced Stabilization System )to your Broadsides.
Closed Thread