Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Low Point Games
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2005, 07:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JezzBug
Default Low Point Games

Hello, i'm a new member to this site as well as a new player to the world of Warhammer 40k. Me and my friends all kind of got into it simultaniously and we are each starting our own armies. there are 4 of us all together and the 2 other guys and girl all picked Space Marines and I picked Tau as my army. I don't know what I liked about them, but they just look like a cool army, (what w/ the kroot and all).

So here is my delima, we are all just starting out, i think we each have 2 troops and 1 HQ, although some of us have a few Elites as well. My army is composed of 1 12 man Fireteam warrior squad, 1 16 team Kroot carnivore squad, and a Crisis suit commander. My friend has 2 10 man teams of space marines and 1 Chaplain. I've seen all the tips and stratagys for large scale battles, but I was wondering if you guys have any tips or stratays for a low point army like this.

Thanks for looking at my post!
Old 11 Jan 2005, 07:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Low Point Games

lol, no thanks is neccecary (but we all like it ;D) its what we do :P.

and fo low points games tactics don't really change that much, it just becomes more neccecary to focus on the objective and not be careless with your guys.

I reccomend combat patroll as a good way for you to get into the swing of the game (rules can be found in the Rulebook) as it breaks the game down to a level that is easy to use tactics and somewhat less demanding than full scale games (I prefer combat patrol for games with freinds as its easier to think and talk around the table at the same time).

if there is anything specific you'd like to know about, just ask.

Oh and welcome to the Forums, you'll see me a lot around here ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 11 Jan 2005, 07:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well, specifically, I was wondering, at this level, what are good upgrades to get for my troops. For example, the bonding knive? is it worth it to get my enteir team bonded? And i have a shaper w/ my kroot, should I give them all the armor upgrade?

one more thing, if I assmebled a model one way (the shaper got the kroot gun) does that mean I HAVE to use the kroot gun for him in the game? or is is just asthetic and you can change it to a pulse rifle on the battlefeild?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 07:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're playing with wysywig (what you see is what you get) then yes it does have to be a kroot rifle.

I'll refer you here as to why we dont take shapers :P and it may help with some other things too ;D.

in small game sits usually best to go light on the upgrades, only skeleton upgrades helps you feild more troops, and troops win small games more than upgrades.
go here
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

The bonding knife can be worth it's point i such small game and I also reccomend to upgrade on of the Fire Warriors to Shas'Ui. Use your Shaper model as a normal Kroot since Shapers are not, as previously noted, worth their points.
A basic tactic that might seem obvious but as well might be overlooked is to concentrate all of your fire to the same target. To take out 10 Marines you will need every single shot of all your units, including the commander, but if you deploy and move wisely you should be able to take them down without exposing your units too much.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

as dolf said, the knife is useful, on a fully bonded team the 10pts spent can save you 60pts running away.

and Aun Dolf is correct, full focused firepower is the key to obliterating the enemy, kill one squad and move on. and luckily for us we have the tools and vehicles to do it with.
go here
Old 13 Jan 2005, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What is a wysywig? Ok, so no kroot shaper, and a bonding knive if points allow? Cool.

Is there any specific stratagy when facing the Space Marines? LIke, a universal rule in both large point games and small point games?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

wyswig is "what you see is what you get" meaning you have to count the weapon the model has on it as what it is and for space marines, make sure to bring a stealth squad and crisis suits.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 13 Jan 2005, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Focus fire is best for facing off against space marines. Focus all your possible fire on one unit wipe it out then move onto the next unit. Usually you want to shoot the closest unit to stay from getting into close combat. Firewarriors do not like close combat. Kroot are not bad but make sure your in a forest so they have to assualt into you. That way you get a majority of attacks first before the space marines or at least at the same time in case they have frag grenades.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 06:07   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I remember reading something about the tau being able to target specific models in a unit and blast them away. Is that true? is that strategically preferable?