Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinder Advice? (The transport doesn't Scout?!)
Closed Thread
Old 25 Nov 2006, 14:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Pathfinder Advice? (The transport doesn't Scout?!)

Ok...since the FAQ says pathfinders' devilfish doesn't have the Scout rule (and heavy weapons on a transport are a bad idea anyhow), is there ever a reason to deploy them with the devislfish, or is it best to just treat the thing as an extra gunship.

The whole "Must take a devilfish" thing seems pretty insane, but that aside does anyone have any other advice on Pathfinders?

If I'm fielding sniper Drones, is it worth it to put rail rifles in the pathfinders too, or should those points be invested in beefing up their transport to be more useful?
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinder Advice? (The transport doesn't Scout?!)

Well, everyone I've played personally, who was familiar with the FAQ, equally thought it was stupid, and just threw that FAQ out the window, and let my Pathfinder Devilfish Scout move with the rest of the unit.. WITH. That was the one concession, that the pathfinders could not scout move one way, and the devilfish another. And I'm fine with that. But this falls under a 'house rule', and needs to be talked over with each person I play, to be sure its agreed upon.

The clearest argument to the rule is that the devilfish is a part of the unit, and gets all special rules, same as drones in pathfinder/stealth teams, and same as kroot houds in infiltrating kroot packs. Only special characters DONT gain benefits from the units they happen to be in, everything else consistently does throughout all armies of the game.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

same with me, we think most of the FAQ is either a question that can be worked ot buy thinking about it, or the response is so stupid our only regret is wasting time reading it.

Our store has no problem with ignoring it completely.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd say that if you plan on taking Pathfinders, leave them all markerlights. If the enemy will have a chance, he will unleash hell on your poor scouts' heads anyway...

If you put some rifles in the squad you'll limit its effectiveness in what it should be doing (painting enemy targets for your squads, and especially for the sniper drones - it's a marriage made in heaven !), possibly annoy him with some stray (and not very accurate) RR shots (and thus making him hunt them even more), and pay more points for an already very expensive squad.

On the side note, the Tau Empire faq was one of the greatest game-related disappointmens of my life... Non-scouting Devilfish and attached Gun Drones not benefiting from markerlights... From which entire SQUADS can benefit. Who in the world wrote that... thing? And, more importantly - did they actually PAY him for it ???

- Caboose, an alien
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:35   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

My interesting advice for the day on Pathfinders:
1) Leave them as Markerlights, because Rail Rifles hav their uses, but not in a Pathfinder team :P

2) Transport is bad, sure they can get into a better position, but you will want to be using the scout move to get into an acceptional position and be able to fire at anything that needs to be targetted more lethally.

3) dont let them die

Last one is sorta obvious, but it remains none the less :P

Old 25 Nov 2006, 20:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, the FAQ was not only a letdown, it proves to me once again that GW only really cares about marines(and now apparently Eldar...Harlequins are way undercosted). I mean with our new codex we got some cool units like the snipers, but even they don't count for scoring units and really aren't underpriced.

Even the Piranha which I love so much, when compared to a speed with an assault cannon just doesn't put out nearly the same level of offense, and with speeders somehow not counting for open topped, their defenses are nearly comparable(though AV11 on the front w/ 2 detachable drones is still slightly better IMO). Imagine if the Piranha's burst cannon had any 2 of the 5 advantages the marines assault cannon has.

Pick 2 of the following
1. 24" range
2. assault 4
3.STR6
4.AP4
5.Rending

I'd go with either Rending and assault 4 or rending and STR6.
But marines get all of that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 20:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Err, it's Heavy 4, Izzy. And I hardly think 24" is an advantage. Plus, comparing the 30-point gun to the free gun is hardly fair. The FAQ wasn't that bad (if at all), and assault cannons are good, but not over-powered.

Back to pathfinders. I'll be a bit of an echo here and say that all markerlights is a good idea. Also, a Shas'ui isn't a bad idea, if only for the Ld boost.

Edit: Whoo! 400th post.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 25 Nov 2006, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Err, it's Heavy 4, Izzy. And I hardly think 24" is an advantage. Plus, comparing the 30-point gun to the free gun is hardly fair. The FAQ wasn't that bad (if at all), and assault cannons are good, but not over-powered.

Back to pathfinders. I'll be a bit of an echo here and say that all markerlights is a good idea. Also, a Shas'ui isn't a bad idea, if only for the Ld boost.
Um, look at the platforms that carry assault cannons for the heavy thing. Termies and vehicles don't care about the weapon's category. And 24" means the enemy can't use rapid-fire or 12" weapons like meltaguns. The reason you can compare them is because a decent pirahna will get 5 s5 attacks for 65 points, which is only 15 points less than a tornado and is far less effective against just about every target. After some looking at Israfel's tactica though, I am content that Pirahnas get enough extra stuff (open topped 20" assults by drones FTW!) to even it out.

The problem with assault cannons is that you get lists like this...

Termie Command Squad, Libby with Fear,Fury, in Pod

Termie Squad in pod

2*meltagun squads in pod

3 * ven dreads in pods

3 * Tornados.

That take advantage of the fact that every assault cannon platform is relatively quick (6" every turn while fighting isn't bad for most armies) and tough to make lists that take anything on, move fast enough to do objectives and are tough enough to take a few hits. Really, this list has no downsides.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 23:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How about this list a buddy of mine plays?

3x3 tornados
3xwhirlwinds
2xscouts w/sniper rifles
Dreadnought w assault cannon
Tooled up bike riding chaplain (can't remember exactly what he has upgrade wise, but I know he has artificer armor and a bike with an invulnerable save and mastercrafted lightning claws, as well as some other goodies(termie honors I think at least))

All this comes out to 1500 points.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 00:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Meh. I usually play Blood Angels we get Baal predator. Twinlinked AC and a pair of HBs for 120

But the virtues of the autocannon and the insanity of the FAQ aside, is there any more pathfinder advice you can contribute to a hapless noob?
Closed Thread