Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Acute Senses
Closed Thread
Old 25 Nov 2006, 06:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Acute Senses

Tau XV8's have acute senses.
well funnly enough games workshop forgot to put that in the small version of the starter rulebook from battle of maggrage or however you go about spell that. it says in the index its on page 75, but it is not on page 75. Thats not even in alphabatical order!!!Anyway enough from me
if someone could tell me what it is instead of me spending 50$ to get a rule book i alright have
that would be great

Commander Frostwind
Old 25 Nov 2006, 07:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: acute senses

It allows a unit with it to re-roll its night fight, but must abide by the new roll. Also as sentries their spotting distance is double their initiative. Any unit they join gains this ability as well.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 08:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think acute senses is being able to give up your shooting to scan for llictors and catachan traps. I think it says in the codex.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 25 Nov 2006, 10:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

According to the tau empire codex, the "acute senses" rule is in the special rules section, but I'm just going to go check the old codex, see what it says in there....

And in the old code it says that they have "Improved sensors" which allows them to scan for ambushes or lictors using secret deployment. They may scan instead of shooting in the shooting phase. Although a quick search of the new codex didn't show any mention of this rule...

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Old 25 Nov 2006, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yup, that was under the old rule, now it enhances night fight ability and spotting distance when used as sentries.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Wow, you're right... And I never even bothered to check it, since I just thought it's the same rule as in the old Codex with a funky name :P. So what the codex says about the Tau to be good night fighters holds some water after all (besides blacksun filters of course).

Got to play more night fighting missions then, heh.

Questions:

1) Does it work when spotting Stealth suits/sniper drones/Vindicare assassin (I'd say yes, since it says "as if firing at night")?

2) Does it let you reroll the spotting distance for the Veil of Tears? Don't have the Eldar codex, but I'd say no, since the veil seems to be invulnerable protection, by the way its rules are written > ... Still I wouldn't mind if that was a "yes"...

[size=8pt](Damn harlequins... mumblemumble making my favourite Aspect near obsolete mumble untargetable by sms mumble damn you)[/size]

- Caboose, an alien
Old 25 Nov 2006, 19:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's no on both accounts since the Acute senses rule in the big rulebook says "when the night fighting rspcial mission rules are in use..."

So only when the mission is an actual night fight.

And yeah, the new Harlequins are completely overpowered. I mean come on, a 2d6x2 spotting range and they can fleet, get 4 attacks on the charge with rending(with harlequins kiss) as well as so many veteran skills it makes me sick. They are way undercosted.

Old 26 Nov 2006, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to privateryann

I played harlequins the other day but i had two railheads ;D I tore them to peices, not a one got into close combat with me. I think I lost one devilfish due to lucky ranger shots, and that was it. Their saves are so weak that if you force them to take enough saves (like when fish o' furyin&#39 you can mow through easily. Watch their leader though as he has a 2+ invul I think.
Other wise i thought the acute sences rule had something to do with deepstriking...i guess not then???
Old 26 Nov 2006, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateryann
Their saves are so weak that if you force them to take enough saves (like when fish o' furyin&#39 you can mow through easily. Watch their leader though as he has a 2+ invul I think.
I would FOF a unit that can fleet because they will be able to get to you.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 26 Nov 2006, 02:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Acute Senses

You don't need to FOF Harlequins. You just need to use a regular skimmer drop. You need to make sure that you are as close as possible to them when you open fire. A full squad of Harlequins charging you is a serious problem. But one or two survivors will not pose much of a threat to Fire Warriors. Harlequins rely entirely on killing all the models that they are locked with before they can be struck in return. Their defenses are so weak that they can not put up with much. So a bunched-up squad of Fire Warriors will be much better off against a handful of Harlequins than they would against the same number of Space Marines or other high-toughness/high armor troops.
Closed Thread