Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of starting Tau. Is this a good army/deal?
Old 23 Nov 2006, 15:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Thinking of starting Tau. Is this a good army/deal?

My regular 40k source (great guy, insanely fast shipping, great deals, crazy fast response time) has a tau army deal for $249.99

It includes the following
one (1) Crisis Battlesuit Commander
two(2) Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit
one (1) Devilfish APC
one (1) Hammerhead tank
one (1) ethereal caste(random model)
six (6) Pathfinders
two (2) Pathfinders with rail rifles
one (1) sniper drone team
one (1) Broadside battle suit
three (3) Tau XV25 Stealth Suits
one (1) Markerlight Drone
six (6) Gun Drones
twelve (12) Tau Fire Warriors
one (1) Kroot Shaper
and twelve (12) Kroot Carnivores.

I can tell it's a good savings, and compared to the GW tau megaforce, the only thing it doesn't have are a handfull of fire warriors (this has 12, the GW megaforce has 20) and a trio of piranha skimmers

But there's three things I need to know.

1) Is this a good army to start off with?
2) Is there anything I would need to buy to make it better? (I'm looking at a 3 piranha squad set for an extra $60)
3) About how many points is this worth? (I'm not asking for speciffic points by unit, just an estimation of its total value)

As a bit of background I'm primarily a space marine (Blood Angel) player, so I figured Tau would be an interesting change...and the minis are undenyably cool looking. I;ve also been out ot of the game for quite a while. (Started collecting models from the very beginning, played a bit in 2nd ed, came back to do a couple 3rd ed games and collect more minis, only now getting into 4th ed)

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback you can give
Galahad_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2006, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thinking of starting Tau. Is this a good army/deal?

I just did the rough math on that list, and my store front total came out for about $290

... thats how much that would cost (roughly) if you just went to a store and individually bought each of those items.

Soooo I'd say its not that good of a deal, especially when you consider that maybe 2/3 of that list would come in a batleforce box... which would save you a lot more on the above price.

Anyways, enough on cost/value

A quick armybuilder plug-in puts that list at 1281 points (assuming fireknife crisis/commander)

and as for a good army... well... It looks a little unfocused. In my opinion, There are not enough firewarriors, Crisis Suits, or.. really.. enough of anything! Id want more stealths, more broadsides, more.. moremore! :P
Old 23 Nov 2006, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

it looks like what you can build from this is a static army or maybe a hybrid army.

the sniper drones, the broadside and the kroot and the fact that you cant put the Fire Warriors in the devilfish because you need that for the pathfinders makes the army more or less static, but you still have the suits and the hammerhead so you could make it hybrid. Consider this when making up you mind. What type of gamer are you? is this a good foundation for the type of style you have when playing?
Old 23 Nov 2006, 16:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I compared it to the megaforce ($139.99 from him) and found it would be more expensive to start with the megaforce and "buy up" to the same models in the big army.

Buuuuut...if what's in the big box isn;t all worth having, I could definately see startign wiht the megaforce and buying up from there.

Ideally, I'd like to eventually have between 1500 and 2000 points so I can do tourneys and bigger games, but it is a second army, so I can see starting small (around 1000)

What would be a good army for someone looking to soend no more than $250 or so?

I can get a megaforce for $139, and a battleforce for $75. Would combining the two be a good idea at all? It;d give me more fire warriors and more stealth sits. I could buy bitz to convert the third battlesuit to a commander, or leave then as a single unit of regular suits and buy an etherial or something. I could also bitz up a second hammerhead.

I'm no stranger to conversions, and I'm not afraid of knives, glue and greenstuff ;-)

Basically I'm looking at building an effective army on a budget when I have, basically, no idea what I'm doing as far as the army mechanics go ;-)

As for what type of gamer I am...I'm used to Blood Angels. Mobility whether I want it or not. Hit and run with HB/AC tornados, assault squads and DC, Infiltrating close combat scouts, Las/Plas squads and Baal predators.

I'm used to an army that's tough, mean, and highly mobile.

However, I'd like to branch out. I'm not afraid of trying something different. Static isn't bad, but ideally I'd like a balanced force
Old 23 Nov 2006, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

have you looked at ebay?
really cheap stuff
and i would just jump around the forums, find a strad/playing style you like, and build around it
Old 23 Nov 2006, 23:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Where do you think I'm getting my deals from? ;-)
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Buy them both!

Get a huge leap forward with your army!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
Buy them both!

Get a huge leap forward with your army!
Buying both the megaforce and the battleforce is possible, but not the megaforce and the army deal ;-)
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

That seems to be quite a god deal to me, and it is much more convenient to have it all in one box. Do you have the codex? If so, yoiu need to write a rough army list mainly of the things you7 really want. Then compare it with all the army deals you can find.

By the way, what is the name of the guy who you get your warhammer from? :
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:58   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

I would go for, seeing as there is quite a bit of stuff in there that is an awesome start for an army, and any that you dont want/need can be sold off. My first bit of advise would be to add another squad of Fire Warriors, and then maybe a Devilfishy...