Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau technology
Closed Thread
Old 22 Nov 2006, 13:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight
Default Tau technology

We all know that use plasma and ion weaponry but are there nothing else e.g. lasers? In the fluff only plasma and ion are mentioned but is it possible for the to use other forms of weapon technology?
Lasers sound cool fluff-wise, and some Special characters could have this kind of weaponry.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 13:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Tau technology

Laser is one of the most basic forms of technology that can be used. At some point during the Tau evolution, it is highly probable that the first DEW they experimented with was the laser, much like the US is doing at the moment. However, as their technology progressed, they used more powerful forms of DEW giving them the pulse rifle.

Bear in mind, that a marker light is a laser, albeit low powered, and their training guns also use low powered lasers. Also, I would not be surprised if their data storage/transmission used lasers in some form.

They do not use lasers as weapons, as they have progressed far beyond needing to use the laser as a DEW, now, it is most likely used for targetting etc.

Hope this helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

See, I'm leaning more toward the " They could use lasers but what they have and use is more powerful". My only true example of this, and let me note that I could be wrong- I have been in the past and will be in the future, is that isn't the markerlight just a really useful laser? I'm pretty sure that its a beam of light that allows others to use it for purposes of targetting and what not.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Hmm. Lasers as weapons is a rather tricky business. On one hand you can ahve the super-powered-with-alot-of-need-to-worry-about-diffraction things the US are looking at, but on the other hand you have the 'Xth Generation' Laser technology the Imperium uses, which is seemingly vastly superior to general Tau tech.

Whilst they can produce Lasguns in suitable order for their Auxilliaries (or can they? Perhaps these again are analogues, like Autoguns or more appropriately down-powered pulse rifles to simulate lasguns), the Lasgun itself is an extremely advanced weapon. Low maintainence, but the science behind them is rather nice. Rapid fire (or at least automatic reload), reliable, easily maintained, good range, accurate, durable and relatively easy to use...but it's a laser (seemingly)!

Again Imperial (and Chaos) Lance technology, similar to lasers again, is in extreme superiority to any Tau weaponry equivalent. The closest similarity is the 'Ion Cannons' mounted on Tau Starships, which are astoundingly poor in comparison to the Imperium's best (60cm, 45cm and 30cm Lances in BFG vs 30cm ICs, the Tau are simply inferior in this respect, only the Demiurg are superior with this respect (being uniformly at 60cm on their mainstream Commerce Vessels...).

It's perfectly feasible though, IMO, to have Sniper Drones outfitted with a prototype 'Laser Cannon' or something, it'd certainly make for a fun conversion without any requirement for modification of the rules.

I'd imagine the Tau play about with this sort of stuff all the time e.g. "What do you mean 'Plasma Rifle' and 'Missile Pod' this is my extremely accurate multiple-target-locking Point Offense Laser Array!"

Fluffwise it makes good sense for certain 'veteran' or at least experienced Cadres to be assigned for wider operation weapons testing. Pulse Carbine? Don't be silly, this is my SONIC BOOM! gun. (ref to Burnt Face Man)

That said, they are indeed using weapons of an extremely high technical and scientific sophistication. Pulse rifles, whilst perhaps (arguably: I believe they're not as good, others say they are, it's an opinion really) not to the degree of Las weapons in tech sophistication are still vastly superior to Bolters, Autocannons, Autoweapons, Assault Cannons etc are all very much poorer 'grades' of technology.

The broader base of Tau tech is superior to the Imperiums, but the Peak of the Imperium's vastly overreaches the Tau's current abilities. Astronomicon? Proper Battleships? Fast conventional drives? Exceptionally manouverable starships? Teleporters? The Golden Throne? Vortex Weaponry?

Everything the Tau can do, the Imperium seem to be able to do better, but rarely ever.

Xisor
Old 22 Nov 2006, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Our current laser tech levels:

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...abl/index.html

The Boeing Airborne Laser Cannon (ok, I added the "cannon" so it sounded cooler )

http://www.defense-update.com/directory/THEL.htm

The M/THEL Tactical High Energy Laser Missile/Mortar defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight

Don't Eldar use laser weapons? Just saying they're a very technically sophisticated people and many of their weapons seem to be laser weapons? Should THEY too use the plasma weaponry more, as it seems to better the laser?

Great site for all DE stuff.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 16:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I see Pulse/plasma weapons being stronger than lasers, except that they disipate quicker and tend to react to thier environment, reducing range and accuracy. Near point-blank the Plasma/pulse are way worse, but at a distance las weapons are more accurate and maintain thier strength.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 16:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Nearsight
Don't Eldar use laser weapons? Just saying they're a very technically sophisticated people and many of their weapons seem to be laser weapons? Should THEY too use the plasma weaponry more, as it seems to better the laser?
They do. That is the basic technology behind the Starcannon. The Eldar have an extremely wide range of technologies at their disposal, with at least one example of all the weapon technologies used by the Imperium and Tau (plasma, ballistic mass-driver, laser, melta, and missile systems). I think the Eldar just tend to be a little more conservative in how they apply technology. Shuriken Catapults have served them well in the past, so they never saw the need to increase the destructive power of their infantry weapons to the level of Pulse Weaponry.

I imagine the Tau could probably reverse engineer Imperial laser technology, as most of it was expressely designed to be easy to operate, manufacture, and repair. It is hard to say how much they experimented with it before adopting Plasma techonology for their primary infantry systems. The Markerlight appears to be some kind of serial laser.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
I see Pulse/plasma weapons being stronger than lasers, except that they disipate quicker and tend to react to thier environment, reducing range and accuracy. Near point-blank the Plasma/pulse are way worse, but at a distance las weapons are more accurate and maintain thier strength.
Now that is interesting...
I always saw the "lasgun" as a pathetic weapon compared to the "Pulse Rifle". But thinking it through, it is the more advanced weapon of the two. Firewarrior the game was the perfect visual example of this... While more advanced in appearance and had a dual shot accuracy mode. The pulse rifle was just a pumped up plasma gun just like the other Imperium models. While the Las though useless after the first few missions was a more effected weapon then the pulse rifle/carbine. With the ability to lay down a continuous stream of shots at far off targets while remaining fairly accurate. The Pulse rifle gave the impression of range, but the shots were less accurate. Having said that... The nade launcher on the carbine made it one of the deadliest guns in the game.
Pursue success in serenity
And service to the Tau'va
With Pride
Shas'O T'au Shi'ur

Shas'O Sa'cea Tri'dos Mont'yr (Shas'O Quick Strike)

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...s=&forumid=137
Old 23 Nov 2006, 02:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's where I formed a majority of my ideas from, the small amount of Firewarrior I've played. But let's think of it this way, the Pulse rifle, although more advanced, is still at it's root a projectile weapon. The thing with projectiles is that air, it's thickness, movement, and even to a degree temperature, will effect the speed and trajectory, and therefore the accuracy of the shot. Even gravity will effect a shot to a degree.

The las weapons, however, are just light, in thier essence. Light will always travel in a straight line except when effected by gravity, but the effect of gravity will only keep it at a constant angle compared to the center of mass if nothing else, so if you shoot straight on the ground, the worse that will happen is it will bend to keep at the same level above the center of the planet, if not actually escaping the pull of said mass. Only the mass of a black hole can actually bend light to it. So therefore, at longer ranges, the only thing that will affect the laser is that it's power will be disipated by the atmosphere it has to pass through. But that takes a lot of atmosphere.
Closed Thread