Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fixing Tau
Closed Thread
Old 20 Nov 2006, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan
Default Fixing Tau

Alrighty then,I have been having some problems with my Tau,more specifically my Crisis suits. There arms and feet..Nob's? continue to break off and I was wanting to know if there was something as to prevent it from snapping off so easily or something I could use that could make it stay on better then Super Glue. Cause Super Glue isn't seeming to help me much at all.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:12   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Fixing Tau

You can add extra piece of Plasticard to the legs to armor the joint (a little like Forge World's battlesuit legs), and it is also possible to drill though the joints with a pin vise and add steel support pins. Apart from that, not a lot you can do. The flimsy joints have been a problem from the very beginning, but GW decided not to update the sprue in the last phase, despite rumors to the contrary.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

Alright,Ill check out putting a drill into it,thanks for the help,and I wish they would also fix the damn arms like Shadow Sun. Any ways thanks again I'll see what I can do.

Happy Hunting!

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:18   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'ui Ra'shan
Alright,Ill check out putting a drill into it,thanks for the help,and I wish they would also fix the damn arms like Shadow Sun. Any ways thanks again I'll see what I can do.

Happy Hunting!
Just remember to use a really small drill and be careful. All you need for this is stiff floral wire and a 1/32" or 1/16" bit. You want to drill up through the ball joints, meaning the bit needs to be smaller than connection between the ball and the leg (or torso). Otherwise, the ball just breaks off before you can pin the joint.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 01:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Apart from that, not a lot you can do. The flimsy joints have been a problem from the very beginning, but GW decided not to update the sprue in the last phase, despite rumors to the contrary.
I don't think that's quite fair, Khanaris. If you compare an older battlesuit sprue with a new one, or even just the leg bits, you will notice that the design has been updated. What really needs to be figured out is whether that actually helped out structually or with the durability of things.

Otherwise, your suggestions for fixing what remains a problem are spot on - as usual ...

Old 21 Nov 2006, 01:43   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
What really needs to be figured out is whether that actually helped out structually or with the durability of things.
Oh, right. Some Crisis sprues seem to have a slightly thicker ankle joint. The ones I got in the new battleforce didn't, so I kind of forgot about it. But they didn't add the full cowls as was originally rumored. And they didn't change the shoulders at all (although I never really had a problem with them.)
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Only the broadsides are really so weak that they can't support themselves. Those durn railguns are way too topheavy.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

sorry, completly off topic, but where did you get that image Ra'shan?
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Oh, right. Some Crisis sprues seem to have a slightly thicker ankle joint. The ones I got in the new battleforce didn't, so I kind of forgot about it. But they didn't add the full cowls as was originally rumored. And they didn't change the shoulders at all (although I never really had a problem with them.)
IIRC the commander boxes include slightly reworked ankle bits. It's not very much, to the point where you probably wouldn't notice unless you were specifically looking for it. However the ball join is a lil more integrated with the suit's shin on the reworked ones so that about 1/4-1/3 of the ball blends into the leg part instead of just sitting on the end of the leg. I've only seen the newer legs come in commander boxes for some reason though
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 21 Nov 2006, 06:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah you'll notice that the very first Tau crisis suit sprues had ankle problems, but after 2001 (i believe) the molds thickened the ankles at the cost of aesthetics.

As for breakage? Try not dropping them. I've never had a problem with their arms breaking, and the one time ankles snapped was a particularly nasty fall from a 4ft bookshelf.

Oh yeah, here's a novel solution: apply minimal amounts of glue. That way, on impact with the floor most of the kinetic energy will be carried off via the pieces flying away from the main model, so apart from some regluing the model will actually suffer less damage than a sturdily glued one. I saw this on a dreadnought that fell 2 meters (arms and the base flew off, but surprisingly there was no snapping of plastic) and was inspired. See, physics is useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Closed Thread