Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How long will it take?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Garenas
Default How long will it take?

How long will it take for tau to develop their technology for faster-than-light travel without the warp? The necrons pulled it off, but it isn't stated whether it took them the assumed over half-billion years or if the C'tan simply gave them this knowledge after they bought the souls of the necrontyr. The other races use the Warp for their faster-than-light travel, which the tau have yet to delve in to nor do they plan to apparently. Another thing to consider here is that it took humankind took about 44,000 years to get to where they are now after leaving their primal phase (as in 44.000 years of technological development) to get where the tau were after about 1900 years of development. So if the tau are developing over 22 times faster than man, how long will it be before they are as far as the necrons? This is open-ended for discussion, so don't assume I'm just looking for a flat answer.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to privateryann
Default Re: How long will it take?

the world may never know...

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop anyway?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

The generic D&D DM answer for how long it takes to get from point A to point B: The speed of plot.

Really, We could come up with fantastic theories, but GW could always have a great technological leap. As people were saying in the thread aboutthe next summer campaign, GW has to put it near the Tau Empire, because the Tau can't get far with their current space travel technology. AS soon as GW decides "we don't want to do things near the Tau Empire" anymore.... boom, the Tau will develop the technology, or give in and end up using it or something.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hopefully they will consolidate the gains of the Third phase of expansion for a few hundred years. In time gaining better warp tech over the centuries. 500 to 1,000 years for at least a vialbe warp drive to match Imperiums at least.
Pursue success in serenity
And service to the Tau'va
With Pride
Shas'O T'au Shi'ur

Shas'O Sa'cea Tri'dos Mont'yr (Shas'O Quick Strike)

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...s=&forumid=137
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd say they get faster drives all the time. They would only be marginal increments though, no major advancements. This would allow them to expand at a generally steady rate, which avoids Tau/Imperial diplomatic problems.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateryann
the world may never know...

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop anyway?

837 licks HAH HAH!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

The Tau have almost no presence in the warp and have absolutely no psykers. The imperium requires the astronomicon and a psyker navigator on board just to safely transverse the warp so I'm going to go ahead and say Tau themselves will never achieve warp travel. That is unless they enslave a particularly psychic race but even then they don't have the astronomicon to guide them.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 06:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

E = mc[sup]2[/sup] right? So the closer tau get to light speed, the smaller their advances should get. I don't think that's the way the Tau would go. Instead of making themselves faster they can merely make the path they travel shorter. If the 40k is indeed based primarily off ours then the Tau will probably have an easier time trying to find a way to travel in a 5th dimension and to cut straight through space time than to try and get closer and closer to the speed of light.

Old 21 Nov 2006, 16:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonus
The generic D&D DM answer for how long it takes to get from point A to point B: The speed of plot.

Really, We could come up with fantastic theories, but GW could always have a great technological leap. As people were saying in the thread aboutthe next summer campaign, GW has to put it near the Tau Empire, because the Tau can't get far with their current space travel technology. AS soon as GW decides "we don't want to do things near the Tau Empire" anymore.... boom, the Tau will develop the technology, or give in and end up using it or something.
Yup thats probally right...Its in GW hands, but I would like to see the Tau ignore that branch of science entirely. To hell with the warp and navigators, we are just going to find a way to teleport through 'star gates' and use our fast sub-space ships normally...

Genmotty
Old 21 Nov 2006, 17:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

You really cant use modern or classical physics to work out light speedtravel its impossible, or it someone did manage to do it then according to Einstein then we could travel back in time and who knows how messed up the 40k time line would end up. Oh look the emperor is about to be mortally wounded but no a tau space fleet appear and save the day. See what i mean. besides to power something faster than light you need a infinite power source an i would love to see someone find one. If they do get light speed and them probably will then it will be some very weird new technology for example being able to create small worm holes to a specific location due to some dodgy and unexplainable reason.