Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight Theories
Old 20 Nov 2006, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Farsight Theories

Hi everyone. This is a spin off thread from "So what is the Greater Good anyway". In that thread we began to think about Farsights role in te Tau Empire. So far, some ideas put forth are:

-Farsight killed the Ethreals with him ( gasp )
-Farsight has gotten a vision from the dawn blade
-Farasight sees beyond the empire - the bigger picture.

We thought it would be good to get lots of stuff together about Farsight and then see if TO can offer it up to GW?

So... off we go!

Shas'el ;D

Chaos:We have cookies!
Horus:I'm in!

And the reason the Emperor saw regret in Horus' eyes as he died was because of his last thought:

Horus:Wait a sec, I never got any damn cookies!
Shas el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2006, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Farsight Theories

Farsight had first contact with the necrons, who killed the Aun with his expidition. As their had been no contact with them before, he had no idea who he was fighting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex Tau
Seemed confused as to who the enemy was
His forces were being wiped out, when, as a last resort, he picked up a sword in pride of place in the temple, a temple with strange, tall thin beings with pointed ears as statues venerating a crippled one at a forge. Grabbing this weapon he was able to destroy the enemy.
With the sword came visions, and strenght. He saw a ghostly plain, where 100 of the tall thin warriors stood, wielding swords the same as the one he found, lead by a figure of molten fire itself. He saw as they clashed with the same warriors he had fought, and how, one by one they were beaten back. He saw death itself fight against the molten god, and a vast explosion when the molten god was beaten, that leveled the entire battlefield.

Then, he saw a female of the tall species, walking through the battlefield, picking her way through the bodies until she came to one, dressed like her. Kneeling down, with tears flowing from her eyes, she cradled his head as he took his last breaths.
"Have you seen?" He felt, rather than heard the words from the dying alien.
"I have," replied the female, "but how can he be the one? Only you could wield these weapons, and at great cost, so how can an alien hope to?"
"I know not, but this is what will come to pass. The only way the Yngir can be beaten is by him. Even Ynnead, may he never have to be woken, will only buy us time."
Farsight knew not, who they were, or who they spoke of.
"Very well, I shall see to it this future comes to pass," breathed the female. "He will take up the Sword, and I only pray, in their naivete, they will be strong enough."
She stood, picking up the fallen warriors sword, and began to walk away.
"Wait!" cried the fallen warrior, as she stopped and turned, "They will need our help. They will destroy themselves in their ignorance, unless we can help them. Contact the Varingir (sp?). They will be needed as well. Keep them whole, or our race, our galaxy will fall." He fell back down, and with his dying breath, spoke true.
"Our time as rulers will end, our empire will be sundered. It will be their time, their destiny to unite the galaxy."
The female looked up, fire glowing in her eyes. Somehow, Farsight sensed she looked directly at him, as she said, "Very well. I will see to it that this future comes to pass. He will follow his destiny."

The vision passed, leaving Farsight with knew knowledge. Somehow, he knew the aliens spoke of him, and he knew what he must do. But how would the Aun react? Uncertainty passed through his mind, before he settled on his course. He would follow the alien prophecy, even if it meant going against the Aun. He would save an empire, and unite a galaxy.

Well? I know, tis just what I think. But I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2006, 13:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i'm not going to write a fluff response, however it has been implied strongly (from the Tau perspective) that O'shova has indeed seen the bigger picture, however he's been gone for so long that the leaders of the Third Phase has been forced to reject him for fear of disunity.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:00   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I didn't mean to write a huge fluff piece, it just kinda happened as I typed.... :-[

Quote:
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

no need to be sorry- i just was saying that I wish I could but I can't. Your work has always interested me Forbidden, and I continue to enjoy reading it.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:21   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Cool. It just came out, so to speak. I have long held, if it wasn't clear from my post, that Farsight possesses the last remaining Sword of Vaul, and I added a "chosen one mythos" so to speak to see if it could work, without sounding silly.

Quote:
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:22   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The only theory I'm willing to follow regarding Farsight is that he is the most awesome Tau ever to appear in Canon fluff. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2006, 19:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've always preferred the seeing the bigger picture theory, but the Eldar/Necron theory is alot fluffier.
Pursue success in serenity
And service to the Tau'va
With Pride
Shas'O T'au Shi'ur

Shas'O Sa'cea Tri'dos Mont'yr (Shas'O Quick Strike)

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...s=&forumid=137
QuickStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2006, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStrike
I've always preferred the seeing the bigger picture theory, but the Eldar/Necron theory is alot fluffier.
What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
i'm not going to write a fluff response, however it has been implied strongly (from the Tau perspective) that O'shova has indeed seen the bigger picture, however he's been gone for so long that the leaders of the Third Phase has been forced to reject him for fear of disunity.
Disunity? I don't quite understand...

Shas'el ;D
Chaos:We have cookies!
Horus:I'm in!

And the reason the Emperor saw regret in Horus' eyes as he died was because of his last thought:

Horus:Wait a sec, I never got any damn cookies!
Shas el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2006, 19:20   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

We have done this many times before, but to review my opinions on this:

I have two conflicting views on Farsight.

1. He actually is a traitor and a threat to his people. GW just threw him in so their more anti-establishment gamers could play Tau with a clear conscience, and also a way to justify Tau vs. Tau battles at some point, just as they have done for all the other races (even Eldar, for whom internal fighting makes the least sense).

2. He is a loyal soldier of the Empire, but he ran afoul of something sinister within the Ethereal Caste and had to go into hiding to survive. Aun'shi went to investigate and is now on his side. Aun'va is using Shadowsun against him. I absolutely hate the blanket "evil Ethereal Caste vs. hero Farsight" theory, as I think it runs directly counter to the actual background and the way characters act as bridges between the fluff and the game, but I have no problems with a conflict between Farsight and a traitor within the Ethereal Caste.

(To clarify, I think the idea that all Ethereals are evil/corrupt/slavemasters is bullshit due to the simple fact that Ethereals are playable characters in the game. As such, it is entirely up to the player whether to treat their own Ethereal as a kindly mentor for their Shas'o or a maniacal sociopath with plans for galactic domination. With few exceptions, the fluff never forces motivations on the player for the actions of their army and characters. If Ethereals were not playable characters, their motivations could be more universal. As it is, they are fractured by design. Which pretty much makes it impossible for them to be united against Farsight or vice versa.)
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote