Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help with Crisis combinations
Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2006, 02:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default help with Crisis combinations

I've been thinking, even within each type of crisis suit there is still 3 variants. Let me explain with an example using fireknives. There are 3 kinds of fireknives:
1) Fireknive-6 or Fireknive-7
OR
2) Multi-tracker Fireknive

Which one do u consider to be the best? This is on a normal crisis and not on a Bs5 commander of course or the 2nd would win hands down.

Oh, one more thing. This is one of my elite choices for 1500pts if that makes any difference at all
Old 19 Nov 2006, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: help with Crisis combinations

Um, fireknife always has a multi-tracker. A FK-7 is only possible on team leaders or HQ's.

On a Shas'ui elite suit, a FK-7 is a deathrain with a backup plasma rifle, and a FK-6 is a burning eye with a backup missile pod. Neither of these are very good choices.

I would also look twice at those crisis configs. Fireknife is good, but it's efficiency comes from the first codex. Now, I think a firestorm (Burst cannon and missile pod) is more efficient against anything besides Terminators at 18" or beyond. FK still has the advantage at 19-24", and in rapidfire range, but unless you find a large number of terminators in your opponent's armies, there are other options that are often better than the old workhorse.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

i like CIB and Burst cannons!

twin linked fusion!

plasma burst cannon
Old 19 Nov 2006, 03:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think the 2 best suits are Helios and Deathrain. Helios are expensive front liners who's tasks are armour and Meq/Teq. Deathrains are cheap and are dedicated to light vehicles. Anything else can be handled by the plethera of st5 fire we have. IMHO fireknives are a waste as they neither do 1 thing well nor the other.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Gah, then I must still have this whole "crisis suit naming" thing wrong... I thought the name was just given by the two weapons that it carried regardless of what else they carried.

nm, the question remains the same tho. If I have 2 weapons which do relativley different jobs should I TL one of them or should I get a multi-tracker?

MadScientist: I was just using fireknive because it's the only one I can remember :P. I have no idea what to use in my 1500pts but I think I'll give the firestorm and helios a go like u guys recommended.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 05:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
Gah, then I must still have this whole "crisis suit naming" thing wrong... I thought the name was just given by the two weapons that it carried regardless of what else they carried.

nm, the question remains the same tho. If I have 2 weapons which do relativley different jobs should I TL one of them or should I get a multi-tracker?
The reason it works like that is because it is based around the primary function of the suit. If you twinlink a weapon, you are expecting to use it to the exclusion of the other weapon. If you are planning on busting transports and Aspect warriors with missile pods, you don't need to spend the extra 20 points to get the plasma. A Deathrain (tl Missiles) with a flamer costs 47 points and is just as good as a 63 point deathrain with a plasma in just about every circumstance. If you use two weapons, make sure there is always a multi-trackers (exception: Flamers are cheap enough that you really don't need this for them).

Quote:
MadScientist: I was just using fireknive because it's the only one I can remember :P. I have no idea what to use in my 1500pts but I think I'll give the firestorm and helios a go like u guys recommended.
Crisis suits really operate along two axis: Range and Specialization. The range spectrum goes from the Helios suit (3 shots at 12") to the Deathrain (2 twinlinked at 36"), and the specialization goes from those two suits (Helios for heavy infantry and vehicles, and Deathrain for transports and 4+ infantry) to Fireknives, which can target anything short of a landraider and be reasonably effective.

As you move toward shorter ranged weapons, your suits tend to become more deadly but more fragile, and more specialized suits are dangerous to their targets but do little against other enemies. A helios team can easily destroy a terminator squad or land raider, but it is a great risk to get them close enough to do damage and will do little against an infantry guard army. Deathrains can easily reach their targets and will stop any transport or 4+ save infantry (eldar, storm troopers, tau...) dead in their tracks, but against power armor or AV 14 they are quite meek. A Fireknife will never shine as greatly as either of these suits, but you can pit it against any army and find a purpose for it.

If you have 2 or more railguns in your army, or you expect a lot of armor a Helios squad is a reasonable choice (I personally would never, ever take them, but some swear by them and it is really more of a personal thing). Deathrain are almost always good because of their range and the ability to take out fast moving vehicles that could be a problem (anything from land speeders, devilfish, dreadnaughts or the side armor of a leman russ are viable targets), and it gets the shots cheap enough that shooting them at a marine squad isn't totally worthless (it is less efficient than firewarriors, but every little bit helps). Fireknives are good if you expect a few termies (a squad or two every few games is enough), or if you feel agressive and want to rapid-fire those plasma guns, but at 18" range, the firestorm is better against just about every target except termies and is cheaper as well.

The actual choices will depend on what you have in your army. Crisis suits really fill the gaps, and if you have two ionheads, a helios team might be nice, while some fireknives or deathrains would compliment a railhead based list quite nicely.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Take a Helios. There is no business talking them down when you consider the carnage you could be missing!

Your one shot of plasma + missiles OR TWO shots of plasma + something that instakills characters?

I say proxy a few, and take two or more. TRY them, and you will love the results.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Helios followed by T/L Fusion blaster + extras are my favourite setups...Currently I'm running a list with only 3 XV8 style suits;

Shas'el AFP + Missile pod + Shield gen + H/W Multi-tracker.
Anti horde and transport buster

Shas'vre T/L Fusion blaster + Target array + H/w target lock.
Guarantied dead tanks.

Shas'ui Flamer + Fusion blaster + Multi-tracker.
Extra dead tanks and anti horde if need be

I got board with the old Fireknife and the Deathrain is too cheesy for me to even think of using.

Genmotty
Old 19 Nov 2006, 11:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

First take 'em in pairs. that way they can never be under 50% strength are only ever at full half or destroyed.

In my experience it dosn't pay to take mixed weapons and what you do take twin link as with the points you pay you want moer than a 50% hit rate.

Here's a quick weapon run down:
Plasma Rifle: AP2 goodness but very expensive. Best left to commaders if you ask me.
Burst Cannon:Leave to stealth suits, the do it better for cheaper
Flamer:Handy back up on suits, nice and cheap, good for lots of cover bords
Fusion Blaster:Awesome for Ninja'O of a tank stalk monat. Only really works well combined with deep strike.
Missile Pod: Probobly the best all rounder with a high strength an a solid ap. If you can't thing of anything else to do with a suit give 'em a pod

Nex we take a look at the Support Systems:
A.S.S: Usless on crisis.
Blacksun: Only handy for night fight
C&C Node: Could be good not used it much
Drone Controler: Free! However need to pay for drones and makes it harder to J-S-J
Multi Tracker:Handy for 2 weapon commaders, on standard suits should be using twin linking
Positional relay: I'd avoid deep strike if at all possibly realy handy when combined with PF Dfish though!
Shield Gen: Too expensive or squads and commaders use IC status
Target Lock: Ehhhh no.
Trageting aray: Hell yes! hitting on 3's and re rolling misses? Yes please!
Vectored Retro Thrusters: Why are you in combat?

And lastly we have the Wargear:
Bonding Knife: Use pairs and you won't need it, handy if you run a trio though.
Ejection system: I prefare to use IC and JSJ to keep the commander out of trouble but if you want the insurance.
Failsafe Detonator: Why are you in combat?
Gun Drone: Save em for the drone squadron
Iridium Armour: some people sware by it but I find the extra mobiity better
Hard Wired gear: Same as before but no hard point taken up \o/
Marker Drone: Crisis suit=mobile Marker Drone=Heavy Weapon
Shield Drone: IC is better really but if you want it.
Stim Injector: Auto 4+ save against wounds? Oh yes.

Here's some sample set ups:
Crisis suit: Twin Linked Missile Pod, Targeting Array: 53 pts

The one what I run with. Good enough to take on just about anything and almost never fails to hit.

"Standard Commander" Shas'El:Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Stim Injector, HW multi tracker: 107 points. Cheap and nasty but an still dole out the hurt.

Firekinfe:Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi tracker: 58pts Awesome if expensive system.

Ninja'O: (Weapons of choice, normaly Fusion+Plasma), Vectored Retro Thruster, Stim Injector, Irridium Armour HW multitracker: 128pts. Flys into people then runs away. Very very amusing.

Just some general CSuit advice I wrote on Warseer.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 11:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Fireknife, nuff said :P It's so reliable and versatile. Most competitive commanders are equipped this way. You can never go a-miss with this configuration and I think it will interest the most serious buyers.

~Olannon
Closed Thread