Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Here's a new one - How to fight Tau.. with Tau??
Closed Thread
Old 18 Nov 2006, 16:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Here's a new one - How to fight Tau.. with Tau??

So with all the tacticas out there showing how the Tau can deal with ASMs, and Seraphims and Eldarz and the like, one[size=9pt](being a newb like me)[/size] has to wonder, "What in the world am I gonna do when I meet another Tau guy??".

So I'll open it up for you guys. How do you fight Crisis with Crisis? Steath with Stealth? Static vs. Hybrid? Ethereal to Ethereal? What happens if that Sniper Drone sees me? Does FoF work on Railheads?

I know I'm being a little light-hearted here, but please share your thoughts.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Here's a new one - How to fight Tau.. with Tau??

I'm the only Tau player in my area, so I have 0 experience fighting them.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Locat

Take out the Broadsides, Send Kroot in to fight FWs, Get in as much cover as possible to counteract Markerligths
thanks for recognizing I'm ignoring fluff entirely
"Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature."

BBC code?

More of my own comics!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

its easy....

the opposing tau team is going to have close to the same strengths and weaknesses as you. so put yourself in your oppenents shoes and think of the weaknesses your army has. Whatever your weakness is, his is going to be closely the same.

Crisis suits: Fireknife (PR, MP, MT) would be effective against an enemy tau team. The MP can bust through FW armor while the PR can cut right through battlesuit armor. It would be hard to target other suits since both of yall will likely jumping in and out peppering fire at eachother. Try to get around to a point where you can move to and hit them. Also since both of yall would be weak at CC you could charge them to stop them from shooting at you. the casualities would be pretty even but if yuo get the charge from a 3 CS squad thats 9 attacks. This might be a wise choicve say if you can charge a enemy BS team and keep them from firing the next turn. I think it would be pretty fun to see Tau units charging other Tau units in a close combat fight. Though generally you just should shoot them as this is what tau are good at which will result in more deaths than while in CC.

Stealth suits: These should be highly recommeded. 18 shots of pulse fire from the burst cannon will put your opposing teams infantry units in great hurt. They can absolutly cut down FW and they dont present a living chance for kroot. Even CS would have a toguh time trying to survive 18 burst cannon shots. The SS are high damage dealers to anything but the Tau vehicles.

Fire Warriors: Fw vs. FW... A classic shoot out which would greatly reflect warfare drung the revolutionary war. Its just your line and his line firing straight into eachothers faces. Markerlights would be extrmely usefull and would give you the shooting advantage.Since both his and your FW teams will likely be deployed in cover, Markerlights will improve the squads chance to hit while removing their cover save. FoF isent really nessacary for a game liek this since the only thing he will be charging you with is kroot or maybe vespids. The vespids canmove fast but can be taken out by your battlesuits. And kroot dont move that fast unless in trees so you should be able tocut them down with your FW and SS before they reach your line.

Hammerhead: If facing another tau team you should definatly have at least 1 or 2 HH's. Their submunition round will pulvarize your oppenents FW squads. He will also likely have HH's so they should try to be taken out quickly too before they blast your line to pieces. They should be used in support with the Broadsides. Try toget your broadsides to take uot his tanks while your HH's can tearhis firing line to shreds. Your HH's need to stay alive as they can do both tasks of tank busting or destroying large amounts of infantry.

Broadside Battlesuit Have at least 1 squad of BS to take out the enemy HH's. If you can kill the enemy HH's and some of his BS's you can have your own HH's focus their devastating fire on firewarrior squads. Same as the HH, just try to make these to units work together so that you HH's will stay alive.

Kroot: Kroot can be usefull and it is wise to have at least one squad of them. But they need to be kept in cover (preferably tree) at all times. Your oppenent will likely have some kroot or vespids so having kroot of your own will save your firing lnie a quick asualt. Dont ever try shoot with them in the open because FW's will kill kroot in a shoot-out. Keep them with a battlesuit team and use them and that team to flank your enemy and assualt them. Having them work with battlesuits will provide a mutualistic factorbetween the two. As battlsuits will provide covering fire for the kroot while the kroot keep your battlesuits from being assualted.

Vesids: Dony know much about them but they seem like the perfect thing to counter enemy battlesuit teams. with an AP 3 weapon, battlesuits wont get they're saves. Plus they canmove just like a battlesuit does so you can easily get into a position to get around them toa firing point.

Pathfinders: An all around good unit to have. they can mark your enemies squads. If yu can lgiht up a battlesuit team, a SM can insta kill a suit.

Pirana: Dont know much about them either but they seem like a risk to take. Their armor can be penetrated by FW and they wont stand much of a chance vs. CS. You could try them but they just dont pack enough firepower to equal their points. And the only CC units to block with them would be the kroot.

Sniper Drones If you enemies army is heavily battlesuit based, then yuo should take them as they can penetrate battlsuit and keep them pinned. However if you oppenent is heavily based around FW and kroot then i would have a 2nd HH instaed of a sniper squad.

Basically just take a look at your own army and find your own weaknesses. Take those weak points you have and use them against him. Hope this helps any.

And sry if i misspeleld a bunch of words my spell check is not working for some reason.

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with AvalonSurfer739 - know your weaknesses because the enemy will have the same.

Shas'el
Chaos:We have cookies!
Horus:I'm in!

And the reason the Emperor saw regret in Horus' eyes as he died was because of his last thought:

Horus:Wait a sec, I never got any damn cookies!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

do everything you would try to avoid, agaist the weakest points,and win the roll for frst turn ;D
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Think of your strengths and of your weaknesses. Now think of what your strengths can do against your weaknesses.

For example, a strength Tau have is having lots of pinning weapons (Pulse Carbines and Rail Rifles) and a negative leadership modifier (Markerlights). A weakness Tau have is low leadership. Use that strength to easily pin down foot-slogging Fire Warriors and Kroot.

Against mechanized Fire Warriors, you want to use one of your strengths, high strength weapons, to combat the armor value of the Devilfish. Missile Pods are good, but a squad of Fire Warriors or Stealthsuits against the side or back armor can cause a lot of glancing hits.

Against battlesuits, you will need mobility to combat them. Something fast and strong, such as Fire Warriors in a Warfish, Vespids, or a unit of Fusion-armed Piranhas, must get behind the cover they are JSJing behind. Then, it will force them to stay in that cover and probably die to that unit, or jump out into line of sight of the rest of your army.

Against Hammerheads, just use Missile Pods on the side or back armor or Railguns on any side. Fusion-armed Piranhas are also very good, as the Railgun can only glance them anyway and you could potentially get some Melta shots if close enough.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

On the subject of a Hammerhead with a railgun, I think it would be much more prudent to go for the Ion cannon cos Tau tanks are skimmers and hits are going to be glancing. Plus the SMS system which doesn't need LOS will be able to negate J-S-J and put the pressure on the crisis suits...unless they have fusion blasters or are armed with lots of missile pods...

I can see massive use for the deepstriking monat armed with CIB/BC and twinlinked flamers...lands in and vapourises the Tau firing line...(tooled up you could have the ultimate suicide bomber).

Finally Kroot seem to be a good choice, but you would need the numbers to be able to take a firing line. Plus their lack of armour makes them touch and go. You would need good terrain and hope there are few markerlights...

...I should do a proxy battle to see if a Farsight army is good at anti-tau...hmm...

Genmotty
Old 18 Nov 2006, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i've done a lot of fighting against tau. i know the army intimately and i know how to take them on. the previous posts were... interesting but i wish to comment on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonSurfer739

Crisis suits: Fireknife (PR, MP, MT) would be effective against an enemy tau team. The MP can bust through FW armor while the PR can cut right through battlesuit armor. It would be hard to target other suits since both of yall will likely jumping in and out peppering fire at eachother. Try to get around to a point where you can move to and hit them. Also since both of yall would be weak at CC you could charge them to stop them from shooting at you. the casualities would be pretty even but if yuo get the charge from a 3 CS squad thats 9 attacks. This might be a wise choicve say if you can charge a enemy BS team and keep them from firing the next turn. I think it would be pretty fun to see Tau units charging other Tau units in a close combat fight. Though generally you just should shoot them as this is what tau are good at which will result in more deaths than while in CC.
suits can take on suits. just gotta deep strike them. your 12 fireknife shots will do a load of damage. against tau, best use is to take suits and use 'em against high value units like transports, vehicles and other suits. dont waste your fire against fire warriors. 3 shots at range with 1 or 2 hitting isn't worth it if you ask me. similarly, going for assault even against tau is a dodgy move. sure, you'll tie up a squad in h2h but you're losing a fair bit of your flexibility. leave that job to the kroot and either DS the suits to cause havok or keep 'em at a distance and go for high value units.

Quote:
Stealth suits: These should be highly recommeded. 18 shots of pulse fire from the burst cannon will put your opposing teams infantry units in great hurt. They can absolutly cut down FW and they dont present a living chance for kroot. Even CS would have a toguh time trying to survive 18 burst cannon shots. The SS are high damage dealers to anything but the Tau vehicles.
unless of course my kroot get to rapid fire into a very expensive 150+ pt unit with 30 shots wounding on 3s. and my hammerhead with an ion cannon and twin burst cannons finishes the job. or else charge 'em. they're useful but don't rely on them.

Quote:

Fire Warriors: Fw vs. FW... A classic shoot out which would greatly reflect warfare drung the revolutionary war. Its just your line and his line firing straight into eachothers faces. Markerlights would be extrmely usefull and would give you the shooting advantage.Since both his and your FW teams will likely be deployed in cover, Markerlights will improve the squads chance to hit while removing their cover save. FoF isent really nessacary for a game liek this since the only thing he will be charging you with is kroot or maybe vespids. The vespids canmove fast but can be taken out by your battlesuits. And kroot dont move that fast unless in trees so you should be able tocut them down with your FW and SS before they reach your line.
hmm. a few squads will likely serve you well with supporting fire but they can be limited. fish of fury can be very useful to tau, especially if you pull it off against an isolated shas'el or monat crisis suit thats being a pain. never doubt the mobile punch that FoF can deliver. and i'd rather use my fire warriors to take out the vespids. hit on 4s and kill on 3s if they're out of cover. even the threat of what they can do will force the vespids to keep away.

Quote:
Hammerhead: If facing another tau team you should definatly have at least 1 or 2 HH's. Their submunition round will pulvarize your oppenents FW squads. He will also likely have HH's so they should try to be taken out quickly too before they blast your line to pieces. They should be used in support with the Broadsides. Try toget your broadsides to take uot his tanks while your HH's can tearhis firing line to shreds. Your HH's need to stay alive as they can do both tasks of tank busting or destroying large amounts of infantry.

Broadside Battlesuit Have at least 1 squad of BS to take out the enemy HH's. If you can kill the enemy HH's and some of his BS's you can have your own HH's focus their devastating fire on firewarrior squads. Same as the HH, just try to make these to units work together so that you HH's will stay alive.
pretty accurate though put more emphasis on the versatility of the hammerhead. an ion cannon and two burst cannons will tear a stealth suit or crisis suit squad to pieces. or another hammerhead. if you play a mech list, those fire warriors cant do anything against your AV12 vehicles so you might as well focus on the things that can hurt you, which are as you point out broadsides, as well as hammerheads and suits. then mop up. the hammerhead is essential to the tau.

quote author=AvalonSurfer739 link=topic=35010.msg1058161451#msg1058161451 date=1163873914]
Kroot: Kroot can be usefull and it is wise to have at least one squad of them. But they need to be kept in cover (preferably tree) at all times. Your oppenent will likely have some kroot or vespids so having kroot of your own will save your firing lnie a quick asualt. Dont ever try shoot with them in the open because FW's will kill kroot in a shoot-out. Keep them with a battlesuit team and use them and that team to flank your enemy and assualt them. Having them work with battlesuits will provide a mutualistic factorbetween the two. As battlsuits will provide covering fire for the kroot while the kroot keep your battlesuits from being assualted.
[/quote]

pretty useful. the hammer/ anvil method works with most other units in the army as well, whether its kroot and hammerheads or kroot and fire warriors. kroot are just too versatile and good to leave at home.

Quote:
Vesids: Dony know much about them but they seem like the perfect thing to counter enemy battlesuit teams. with an AP 3 weapon, battlesuits wont get they're saves. Plus they canmove just like a battlesuit does so you can easily get into a position to get around them toa firing point.
their fragility is a limiting point though. too limiting if you ask me. "glass cannon" comes to mind.

Quote:

Pathfinders: An all around good unit to have. they can mark your enemies squads. If yu can lgiht up a battlesuit team, a SM can insta kill a suit.
hmm, the points cost and high priority of them limits their use. theres better things to spend on in the list, to be honest, despite all their perks. if you take 3man CS teams though, they could be worth it.

Quote:

Pirana: Dont know much about them either but they seem like a risk to take. Their armor can be penetrated by FW and they wont stand much of a chance vs. CS. You could try them but they just dont pack enough firepower to equal their points. And the only CC units to block with them would be the kroot.
they still have their uses. they are bloody fast! and have a fusion blaster to open up tanks. and most importantly, they're fast attack. you put them down on the board last. so you get the chance to put them in the perfect position.

Quote:

Sniper Drones If you enemies army is heavily battlesuit based, then yuo should take them as they can penetrate battlsuit and keep them pinned. However if you oppenent is heavily based around FW and kroot then i would have a 2nd HH instaed of a sniper squad.
suits hide, dont forget. while i like sniper teams, id rather my 3 hammerheads. 240pts is just too much if you ask me. though they're useful against godzilla nids and sit and shoot marines, their main target in tau lists hide. that said, 9 shots into kroot will kill something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
On the subject of a Hammerhead with a railgun, I think it would be much more prudent to go for the Ion cannon cos Tau tanks are skimmers and hits are going to be glancing. Plus the SMS system which doesn't need LOS will be able to negate J-S-J and put the pressure on the crisis suits...unless they have fusion blasters or are armed with lots of missile pods...
you're putting faith in a weapon that'll only glance on 6s. not wise. similarly, by not taking rails, you need a substitiute. pirahnas with fusion blasters? interesting, but i will point out they're av10-11 and open topped. no one takes decoy launchers on 'em, which means any glancing hit puts them down 50% of the time. similarly, putting faith in 4 shots that hit/wound on 3s and still allow their 3+ armour save is asking for trouble. best thing to take down a suit is an ion cannon, granted, but you dont need 3 of them.

railguns are as useful against tau as they are against everyone else, whether its the glance/penetrate on a 3 against hammerheads, auto-kill 70+pt suits or a submunition right on top of the heads of anything else in the army.

Quote:
I can see massive use for the deepstriking monat armed with CIB/BC and twinlinked flamers...lands in and vapourises the Tau firing line...(tooled up you could have the ultimate suicide bomber).
its quite useful. deepstrike a team of 3 of them. it can cause quite a bit of pain. problem lies in them being focused on one mission (kill infantry). A bit of flexibility on their part would be quite useful.

Quote:
Finally Kroot seem to be a good choice, but you would need the numbers to be able to take a firing line. Plus their lack of armour makes them touch and go. You would need good terrain and hope there are few markerlights...
i've never regretted taking kroot against tau. they always cause chaos. infiltrate them, run them forward and rapid fire into a fire warrior line. next turn, charge. set it up right, and the other guy wont be able to pull off a shot against you. and even if he does, they've done thier damage and he has to waste a helluva load of fire to kill a unit that is essentially a distraction.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 18 Nov 2006, 21:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

about the deepstriking

i think it is better suited for crisis suits with shorter ranged weapons such as the BC, FB, or flamer. Because if you deploy them with the rest of your force they are gonna have to travel a long distance to even get in range.

And Fireknife suits i think are preferably best not to be deep-striked. They are long range and can hit enemy targets from across the entire board most of the time. And they have the advantage of staying out of range of alot of the other tau units. If you deep strike them there is a chance of a bad scatter dice roll which will result in your squad being destroyed before they can do much of anything. In my experiences i find it much better to keep fireknife suits on the front line for the whole game and let the closer ranged suits deepstrike. This way they have more turns to shoot your enemy. It all just depends on how you view strategy.

Deep-striking is very risky alot of the time. so if you can and want to manage suits well when deep-striking then try it. Just make sure you know for sure what your strategy is so you dont send them into a blender.

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Closed Thread