Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau are ignorant savages
Closed Thread
Old 18 Nov 2006, 12:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau are ignorant savages

If we think of Tau the way most of the world veiws the US, then it is my contention that Tau players will grasp a better fundamental understanding of Tau strengths and weaknesses.

Like the US, Tau rely on tactics centered on firepower and collective effect rather than individual hero types like most other armies. Tau firewarriors are not a delivery system for chaplains, big bosses, autarchs, and the like. They are in and of themselves troops.

This is ment as a provokitive thought thread, not a rant, and not a stance.

I'd like to generate conversation on the nature of the firewarrior and how his pivital role in the development of Tau game planning, army design, and tactics overall.

Discuss

wanax
Old 18 Nov 2006, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau are ignorant savages

i'm not sure what you're driving at.. it's fair to say that the US has the most technologically advanced army in the world, due to the staggering amount of money it spends, but i'm not convinced its tactical doctrine is particularly unique, particularly as combined arms goes.

could you elaborate on how you think "most of the world views the US"?
Old 18 Nov 2006, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

As a RL officer I know that the US uses the exact same tactics as other NATO countries. The US/NATO has the most advanced technological army in the world. I think you have a glorified picture of the US army as the most technological army in the world. It is in some areas but not in all. Its the army with the biggest budget but thats not the same as the being the most technological advanced. I don't think you can compare Tau with the US. The way of thinking is very far apart in my opinion.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Locat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda monium
1. (@ panda) Apparently as "ignorant savages"

2. (@ WANAX)I can only hope that "ment to be a provokativ" is intentional (if not, learn "meant" and "provocative" - +12 doesn't auto-correct spelling >.&gt.

3. (@ WANAX)No, I'd say kroot, necrons, or even (At a stretch) orks fit the definition of character-less gun-toter-troops better. The US and the Tau have totally different fluff, so even if they are similar, it's parallel evolution.
Also, IMO, "most of the world views the US [military]" as well armed, well armoured, and, although with a seeming unending force, are not perticularly well trained. USAF is more like IG than Tau'shas.
thanks for recognizing I'm ignoring fluff entirely
"Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature."

BBC code?

More of my own comics!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 14:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I believe he means something along the lines where an enemy, who's facing the US (lets say the king of fictional Wedienow-stan).. grumbles because everything around him is getting shot to pieces and blown away, and he has never once faced an enemy soldier... "Those cheesy US and their B-52's... and complete air superiority, and unmanned spotter drones for accurate artillery, and cruise missiles launched from 1000 miles away... if they didn't have all of those neat toys, and marched their soldiers and tanks in like real men, then they wouldn't be so tough!" ;D

Now, onto the topic, specifically its title... ??? how does that imply 'ignorant savages'?? I think you were being sneaky and were trying to lure more people in with a lure title... shame shame! ... because I already had an idea of where you were going to go, and then you didn't go there!

Where I thought you were going to go (but didn't) was the interesting view that the Tau Firewarriors, as a sub-race, were Ignorant (They just blindly follow the greater good, and never look into the reasons why, or alternatives.. thats ignorant) and Savages (Like an entire race of Tarzans (Shas) taken in by the Ethereals' community (like England did for tarzan), and then training them and giving them big shiny guns... for use as soldiers by the Ethereals in their Great Plan.

;D This means that the real Tau society is the Aun, Water, Earth, and Air caste, while the Fire cast Firewarriors were the Neanderthals out on the prairie that the Tau society put to work! Its wickedly scandalous, and I LIKE IT!!!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha

Hmm...in terms of raw, ranged firepower, I can see some parallel's from the US and the Tau. However, the US tactics of sit-back and shoot are no different to any other modern-day army I can think of. Even the most highly trained martial artist will choose the gun over the sword. It's simply this era's way of combat.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 19:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmikronAlpha
Hmm...in terms of raw, ranged firepower, I can see some parallel's from the US and the Tau. However, the US tactics of sit-back and shoot are no different to any other modern-day army I can think of. Even the most highly trained martial artist will choose the gun over the sword. It's simply this era's way of combat.
Sit-back and shoot? where did you get that from. US Army have been very agressive in the wars they have fought the last 15 years.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 19:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Off Topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda monium
Four words:
Jarhead or Fat people

I couldn't help myself...American military = Jarhead (Disagree with me if you like, its my opinion) Fat People are America; "Ya want jumbo fries with that?" -no offense meant to anyone in particular, you asked my opinion.

On Topic
You could compare the Tau army to NATOs armed forces but its a comparison thats a century or two out...Yes NATO has some of the most advanced weapons technology to date...Look at the new British smart anti tank missiles which adapt themselves in flight to cause maximum damage, plane mounted lasers to shoot down ICBMs and stealth fighters. In this way the Tau are very similar with their advanced technology.

At a basic level however the modern armed forces rely on having the best training and equipment available...and this is alot like the Space Marines. Being equip for any situation. However it seams that the west has gone for the 'Shake and Bake' followed by an occupation of wherever. This is un-space marine and un-tau. The tactical comparison is not watertight 40k is a game not a real army...and so comparisons are always based on opinion.

Genmotty
Old 18 Nov 2006, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, good. Incomplete thoughts DO generate responses.

OK, here is the jist of my statement, sorry had to bolt in the middle of it, so this is the completion.

First, no other race in 40k can trace any tabletop tactics functionally back to those I'm most familiar with (sorry nato friends) and that being ranged controlled fires. No army ranger in his right mind would jump up and run at an enemy with a powersword for example.

Tau use call for fire, markerlights, and sectors of fire supported by heavy weapons. Unlike IG, whos tactics are a mix of the 2 WWs, Tau are a fictional representation of modern tactics.

Ignorant is as it sounds. They are ignorant of the warp, and as such are excluded from the greatest power available to others. Savages in that they seem to be viewed by the other races in the same way the US is by the rest of the world. Barbaric is perhaps a more apt term.

As for spelling errors, pardon. The spell checker still hacks my posts, and as I was pressed for time I wanted mainly to get the ball rolling on the thread before I forgot about it. Had to go shoping with the wife....shudders....and time waits for no woman apparently.

Please continue

Wanax
Old 18 Nov 2006, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANAX
Ignorant is as it sounds. They are ignorant of the warp, and as such are excluded from the greatest power available to others
Ignorant of the warp.. meaning they dont care enough to ever look into it.... well, they are looking into it (MedusaV?), which hardly makes them ignorant of it... Maybe the definition of Ignorant just got a little skewed... Ignorant is more the Imperial way. I'll give a made up example: The Empire gets close to a device that can end all of the empires problems: It will seal off the Warp permanently, It will Immunize the Galaxy from the Ork plague, its will short circuit the Necron, and it will bring the Emperor back to life.... BUT its a Xeno Device, so they simply DONT LOOK INTO IT, and destroy it out of habit.... THAT, my freind, is Ignorance!

Quote:
Savages in that they seem to be viewed by the other races in the same way the US is by the rest of the world. Barbaric is perhaps a more apt term.
I don't get this... PLEASE do explain how the rest of the world sees the US as a bunch of Savages/Barbarians? Because I can honestly say I cant imagine what you mean. Culturally? Physically? Technologically? Dare I say, Ethnically?

Is this some form of joke? Or could it be a flame bait? Really, I'm still sitting here wondering who/what/how/why anyone could think that! Even, lets see... James Bond rolls his eyes and says "ooh.. Americans", to some witty scene where the American way to stop a truck is to blow up an entire bridge, or mountainside, or something.... while he prefers the iddle widdle PPK pistol, as some effort to appear slick and sophisticated.... now, I get that joke...

I guess I'm just morbidly curious on how some other people see the Americans.. and not just from the Arabian World sort of perspective... which I have heard all about. But no, WHERE does the Australian, European, English, Swedish, etc.. countries find the angle or dogma to turn their nose up at the US??

DO tell.