Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can't win at 500pts
Closed Thread
Old 17 Nov 2006, 16:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Can't win at 500pts

I am playing in a year long tournament with my T'au. I'm limited to 500pts, 1HQ, 3 troops. I have been in 8 battles lost [size=18pt]all[/size] of them. I'm surrounded by two Blood Angels armies, Orks(speed freeks), Nids, and Necron. The Necrons just jumped into my territory through a wormhole.

HQ
'el HWMT HWTL PR TA CIB
'vre HWMT MP TA AFP

Troops 1
5 Fire Warrior + 1 'ui w/ HWMT ML PR

Troops 2
5 Fire Warrior + 1 'ui w/ HWMT ML PR

Troops 3
11 Fire Warrior + 1 'ui w/ ML PR

I'm stuck with these units till I start to win. (take planet -> role 3D6 + modifiers (+3 max) -> get 25 pts + HQ/troop... option based on role table) BTW I suck at rolling. I rolled 10 out of 12 shots hit, 2 wounds. TWO > Then he made his armor saves. Next turn assult, T'au dead. I hate Power Weapons. >

I need help on how to take out these people.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 17:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Can't win at 500pts

By virtue of the fact that you are forced to use 1 HQ and 3 troops choices ONLY...

You're screwed.

When people force you into these kinds of rules for a campaign, be wary. They are abominations on the normal kinds of play-testing approach.

How can you be expected to compete with Space Marines who can "hide" las-cannons in Tactical squads? You can't. Tau weren't designed to be flexible the way Space Marines were.

I cannot see a SINGLE way that you can be viable in this campaign if only because you're restricted to the points and slots that you are.

This is not small scale the way the skirmishing rules "Kill Team" are. If it were Kill Team, you could go differently. But you can't.

This is the first time I've ever recommended this on the forum, but drop out of that campaign. You'll never beat people with more flexible HQ/Troop combo possibilities.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 17 Nov 2006, 17:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you can't actually change any of those options you're totally boned.

Sorry to say it but that army just isn't an effective force.

However if the campaign really is just 1 HQ and 3 troops in 500 points Tau can make what is possibly one of the best armies for that scenario. If you can restart or redo your list try this:

Shas'el w/ fusion blaster, plasma rifle, targeting array, hard wired multi tracker

8 Firewarriors w/ pulse rifles
Devilfish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers

6 Firewarriors w/ pulse rifles
Devilfish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers

10 Kroot w/ kroot rifles

497 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I really have to agree with heliodorus04 here, simple put if your comparing troop on troop tau have quite average troop, compared to marines who's troops can be lethal. marines get heavy weapons and special weapons and can tool up there squad leaders, tau can do none of these things. Fire warriors are decent if supported but marker lights but you can get them at all leaving you at a massive disadvantage. your HQ are OK and at this level of points and will be quite affective, but there weapons are a bit too varied for them to work at maximum effectiveness.

well enough about things you cant change, looking forward your going to have to play clever very clever, several points:

1) your going to have to play quite defensively with your fire warriors, get them in the best cover you have in your deployment zone with a decent LOS.

2) Keep your Fire warriors in range so they can overlap fire Arc's, this way you can concentrate fire on one squad at a time make sure you kill of a squad completely before you move on as its always the best models that are taken off last, heavy weapons, CC leaders, and these cause the most trouble for you.

3) Keep your crisis suits out of site every turn if possible, Ive played games were Ive have my suits never shot at once, make them come looking for you. if you can draw units after you were you can deal with them easily due to isolation so much the better. I think its better to miss a turn of shooting were you could kill a model or two then leave them high and dry somewere they can be assaulted next turn. let them live to fight another day, they will probably do more in the latter turns anyway.

4) Deployment is the key to winning. your playing armies that are going to be comming towards you and probably quite fast, you really need to make sure that each unit is positioned so it will be able to make the most of your shooting before they get to you. most will be charging second to third turn and you don't have the fire power really to stop all of them.

5) MOST important thing, next time you plan something like this with 500 Pt's, use the 40k in 40 Min's rules, there play tested and would have given you a much better chance.

good luck.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 18:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

repeat after me:

no gaming is better than bad gaming

seriously, they've stacked the deck against you so badly i'm surprised you don't have to check your pockets to see where your change has gone.

the second best thing i can think of is to get a warfish and stay the hell out of LOS of everything. the best thing i can think of is to walk away.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 18:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The problem is he cant change his army till he starts winning and really to win more than the odd fluke he would need at least to change his army and preferable change the tornament rules :-\ i really think you may be aswell to give this one up as a lost cause. next time try preposing rules that you must start 60" away from each other an you may only use heavy support and theres no terrain aloud at all, see how they like that one.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda monium

seriously, they've stacked the deck against you so badly i'm surprised you don't have to check your pockets to see where your change has gone.
I have to agree.

You are up against armies that have no trouble providing a good force with only 500 pts. The SM tactical squad is one of the most flexible squads in the game. Necrons are just plain hard to kill. Nidz too and orks have a big number of combinations with even that low a point number. With the 1 HQ and 3 TROOPS restriction you are screwed.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

up, without access to heavy support, fast attack, or at least elites, you are going to have pretty much an immpossible time winning.

Old 17 Nov 2006, 19:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

In addition to the "stacking the deck" comments, I've always found tau really hit their stride above the 1000pt level anyway. In low pts games I find I have a hell of a time getting in everything I need.

I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 17 Nov 2006, 21:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
up, without access to heavy support, fast attack, or at least elites, you are going to have pretty much an immpossible time winning.
Forget the HS or the Fast Attack. If he had access to Elites then he would be on "easy street". The only reason I put it in quotes is that he is still screwed with amount of incoming fire.