Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to combat the Harlequin.
Closed Thread
Old 16 Nov 2006, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan
Default How to combat the Harlequin.

There was a thread about this earlier and now that the codex is out I've made this much more complete and accurate. I hope it's useful to someone.

For those of you who don't know what dire avengers are, expect to see them soon. As the numbers show they can put out quite alot of firepower and can be as mobile as a FoF squad. They are also a troops choice!
Doom is a farseer power that allows all wounds against an enemy squad to be re-rolled.
Bladestorm (BS) is an ability that gives everyone in the squad 1 extra shot but prevents them from shooting next round. This isn't bad if they're loading back up into their transport, or assaulting next round (decent cc exarch, good WS, Initiative and fleet).

What this spells for Tau I can't exactly say. Eldar will be able to play at our own game, cancelling out our maneuverability with theirs and having some heavy duty firepower coming from semi-mobile but fragile sources. Not only that but they have some fast assault.

I'm going to say that missle pods will hands down be your best friend against these new eldar, their best damage output point for point comes from AV10 walkers and vypers. Not only that but half the aspect warriors and these dire avengers have 4+ saves. I think a close second will be the Ion cannon with the ability to hurt wraithlords, light vehicles, and the increase of the now 3+ dark reapers.
anyways, heres the table
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=34886.0

[size=16pt]The Harlequin Problem[/size]
As far as harlies are concerned tau have a couple good options of dealing with them. It's a general consensus to not FoF so you can get close enough to see. It's safe to assume Markerlights will never tough these guys.

12 FWs & Fish casualties casualties w/ fortune
FWs - 6.66 4.44
Warfish - 2.59 1.72
Normal fish - 1.72 1.15
totals: w/ fish 8.38 5.58
w/ warfish 9.25 6.16

If you aren't able to kill them then you WILL be assaulted. So depending on the situation it will take anywhere form 1 FoF and some support to 2 to garuntee the take down of an entire squad.

6 man Stealth team 180pts
shooting 5 casualties 3.33 w/ fortune
assault 2.66 casualties

I wouldn't only recommend this as a supplement to other ways of killing the harlies. although they do benefit from striking first if charged, they just can't do enough.

3 Pirhanas 210pts
5.185 casualties 3.45 w/ fortune

Again, not the best idea but is less vunerable to assault, especially if they are in serparate squads. You should never fear for your vehicles. 40 rending attacks has a 1.11 chance of damaging AV10 and a .55 chance of damaging AV13.

10 kroot 70pts
shooting 4.44 casualties 2.96 w/ fortune
assault 4.44 casualties

I only list kroot because they are likely to be there up front as a road bump. If they sit near the back of a forest they could possibly move up their free 6" and hopefully get a rapid fire off. Being in any cover would give you a chance to attack first. I highly recommend this because with just 1 FoF squad and this one you can afford to leave cover and shoot to kill off the harlies. NEVER CHARGE HARLEQUINS, you'll see your kroot gone before any damage is delt. Even if you are really really good at assaulting distance so you take 2 casualties it is still not recommended because of the kroots horrible leadership.

I don't see crisis suits as practical because they will not be close enough usually to make the sight distance.

So really, the dreaded harlies seem to be countered by two common, cheap squads already used in most armies. One Fish full of Firewarriors and that dirt cheap squad of kroot up front shoot be able to remove it from the table by just shooting. A fortuned squad you will need more backup, but will be able to afford to divert it with the cost of the farseer in that area.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How to combat the Harlequin.

One squad of Space wolves managed to destroy a dark reaper squad, another squad (banshees/scorpeons?) and harlequins without taking serious losses.

This means, of course, that the harlequins are a serious downgrade from what they used to be.

In short, you have more to fear from wyches, genestealers, and other eldar cc aspects than Harlequins, I think.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A Harlequin once charge one of my fire warrior squads and got 12ish attacks and slaughtered them
My honourguard for my ethereal then charged the harlequin and the ethereal was the first casualty, giving me prefferred enemy, making me hit 4x as much, they then "ripped its head off" without any trouble
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for those thoughts.

How do you deal with Dark Eldar Wyches? The DE Wyches are virtually identical to Harlequins. The Harlequins have the Veil, but movement, stats and abilities are virtually identical.

IMHO, the way to handle the Harlequins will be mass SMS fire before and after "speedbump" squads. Death Rain squads are another option since they have acute senses.

Face it though, you are going to lose in HTH. I don't think Harlequins are an existential threat to the Tau way of life.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

A few points to note that will make Harlies a little deadlier.

They have grenades so they will strike first when they charge unless they're charging genestealers, cover or stealth suits it doesn't matter. If harlies charge kroot the kroot are even more dead than if they had charged.

SMS, accute sense and even Guess weapons are not of any particular benifiet against them. You still need to roll to spot them normally, and cannot re-roll it.

In short the best way to kill them, as Nathan said, is to just do a drive by/drop attack with firewarriors and a warfish.

Kroot and stealths can help with mop up by SHOOTING.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would argue SMS trumps Harlequin visibility. SMS doesn't even roll for nightfight, and requires no LOS to hit.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

the only way I've been able to deal with them in the past using Tau is to avoid getting inside of 24" of them and shooting with everything. Now you won't see them outside of 14" max, so I'd say the best way is to FoF right in front of them and rapid fire their clowny butts all the way back to circusland. They are still T3, so your S5 weapon will mince them. Problem, like with genestealers at close range, is that you have to kill them ALL. 1 will rip open a FW squad in CC.

wanax
Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:04   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'yth Dude
How do you deal with Dark Eldar Wyches?
That my friend is an easy one, it comes in the form of Submunitions nad massed pulse fire (silly gladiators and their 6+ armor saves against shooting attacks!)

Anyways, I ahev not yet had the chance to fight harlequins, but I am sure I can anhialate them when I see them! Maybe I will pick up an Eldar codex for the heck of it...

Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Even if the SMS has to roll to spot (and I would say it does if you play RAW), it doesn't require LoS. That way you can avoid their charge and rear armor charges.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
I would argue SMS trumps Harlequin visibility. SMS doesn't even roll for nightfight, and requires no LOS to hit.
When you read the rules for SMS it says that it does not require line of site and does not take NIGHT FIGHT tests.

The harlequin's veil of tear rule says that units have to test to target them.

When you read both rules its quite clear that the SMS do indeed need to test to shoot at them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread