Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau starting troubles
Closed Thread
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau starting troubles

Hello out there. I recently bought my first crisis suit and I am having a terrible time transfering the color scheme on my fire warriors onto the crisis suit. My main color is dark angels green (for the armor and such), with a 50/50 blend of codex grey and chaos black for the undersuit. I have yet to paint on sept markings but I think I am going to go with a silver color. I may lighten the main armor color, because as of now there is just to little contrast between the two main colors. But I am really keen on painting the crisis suit so if you have any suggestions involving those three colors (and some black probably) I am all ears (or perhaps eyes).

On a entirely different subject, as best as I can tell from everything I've read about tau tactics, my army should be terrible. Mainly because I ignore markerlights entirely, and I dont like stealth suits and pathfinders. I also use a shas'o commander when it seems everyone else uses a shas'el, and I pay no attention to either auxilary race. But in the handful of battles (maybe 7) I've played (with proxies), I've never lost. In my narrowest victory I still won by some 700 victory points, with no objective bonuses. I tend to crush my opponents by sheer volume of fire. Even when my opponents dropped right in front of me, I was able to take them down, though I'll admit I do have a little trouble against infantry with 2 or 3+ armor saves. So this bit basically comes down to this.

At higher levels of play, is it neccesary for tau players to use markerlights, stealth suits, and auxilaries?
Dem orky boys 'ave been rubbin' of on me. We like da Tau an der big gunz, but da orks 'ave da right idea. We'z gotta crump 'em good with shooty and choppy, fer no raison udder den ta crump 'em. Dat and talk da good orky talk.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau starting troubles

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orky Tau Git

At higher levels of play, is it necessary for tau players to use markerlights, stealth suits, and auxiliaries?
I would never say that it is necessary. At low-points games like you describe, Markerlights aren't all that effective for their cost, and only Kroot carnivores are really viable among the auxiliaries. Stealthsuits are okay, but if you aren't using objectives then you might as well force the opponent to come to you. Pulse Rifles excel at that approach.

As you start playing larger games and using objectives, having the ability to infilitrate starts to make more and more of a difference. And Markerlights have a lot more utility when used to guide more expensive units or fire Seekers. But Vespids are only useful when you can support them, Gue'vesa are something of an acquired taste, and I still don't know of too many lists that bulk up in the other flavors of Kroot. Stealthsuits become very useful, though, just for grabbing objectives and threatening your opponent's flanks early on.

I still wouldn't use the Shas'o in a small game, though. In that kind of game, I take the cheapest HQ option I can, since volume of fire usually dominates over high-strength/accuracy shooting when your opponent has few elite units or vehicles.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orky Tau Git
On a entirely different subject, as best as I can tell from everything I've read about tau tactics, my army should be terrible. Mainly because I ignore markerlights entirely, and I dont like stealth suits and pathfinders. I also use a shas'o commander when it seems everyone else uses a shas'el, and I pay no attention to either auxilary race. But in the handful of battles (maybe 7) I've played (with proxies), I've never lost. In my narrowest victory I still won by some 700 victory points, with no objective bonuses. I tend to crush my opponents by sheer volume of fire. Even when my opponents dropped right in front of me, I was able to take them down, though I'll admit I do have a little trouble against infantry with 2 or 3+ armor saves. So this bit basically comes down to this.

At higher levels of play, is it neccesary for tau players to use markerlights, stealth suits, and auxilaries?
I never use auxiliaries and I don't have that many troubles.

As for Markerlights... I have trouble hitting the broadside of a barn and need markers just to even things up. I just don't take Pathfinders (unless the game is in the 2000+ point range), but Sniper Drone Teams are great. You get 3 Rail Rifles, a BS 4 Markerlight AND the whole team is stealthed.

Finally for Stealth Suits... They're nice, but I much rather have Crisis Suits as they can do a LOT more and my Stealth Suit team is cursed. I need Markerlights just to do ANYTHING with them. Without Markerlights they are just expensive body bags.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:40   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry I can't help with your color scheme issues (I'm red/green colorblind, so your models would probalby look all dark gray and black to me) but I'll do my best on your army questions.

First off, Markerlights: Very good for mass firepower tactics, seeing as one hit lets up to a dozen Fire Warriors fir at BS 4. Also good for causing Pinning. The truly valuable aspect of Markerlights though is their ability to call a seeker missile. The ability to call in a S 8 Ap 3 hit from up to 36" on anything is very handy for taking out daemon princes, ork warbosses, Tyranid carnifexes, etc, as well as most light and medium vehicles. Of note regarding markerlights and seeker missiles is the Sky Ray, which some players swear by, but that I have never used. I think that you can achieve the same effect with a squad of Pathfinders and seekers on your Devilfish adn Hammerheads, but the great thing about the Sky Ray is that it can move and still fire both of its markerlights, giving it far more mobility than a squad of Pathfinders. Whether you use one or not is up to you.

Next up, Stealthsuits: I personally love stealthsuits. Having eighteen S5 Ap5 shots at the head of your army is good for taking out troublesome units early on, although you will definitely have a harder time taking out that pesky Space Marine Command Squad than that group of Termagants. Stealthsuits are also great for claiming objectives and table quarters early. My obsession for Stealthsuits is mostly because of their massive potential as a pinning squad. I posted the whole idea in the Tau vs. Fast Marines thread, so you can check that there. Again, I like using Stealthsuits, but some people prefer to spend the 180 (or 300, in the pinning squad case) on more Fire Warriors or Crisis Suits. It's really personal preference.

And finally auxiliaries: I personally don't use any auxilaries, technically, because I have converted Fire Warriors that count as Kroot and Vespids. Anyway, I usuall just have one unit of Kroot, have them infiltrate, and then simply act as a bullet sponge for my Fire Warriors. I usually refrain from assaulting very often, because I usually play Nids, Orks, Guard and Marines. In the former three cases, tying up one unit of enemie in CC isn't worth it, considering it ties up my Kroot and prevents me from shooting at it. This is especially true because I can generally take out a sizeable chunk of a unit with shooting every turn. And against Marines, the Kroot get totally decimated. In one case, a Space Marine Command Squad (six marines, I believe) routed a unit of seventeen Kroot after being locked for three turns. In that period of time my Fire Warriors could have blown the Command Squad to pieces. The biggest disadvantage of the Kroot is that they don't have an armor save.

As for Vespids, man do I love those guys. They're perfect Marine hunters, with S5 AP3 weapons. The down side is that they're expensive at 16 points each (and 22 for the Strain Leader) and that the neutron blasters are Assault 1. Still, getting ten or so shots off at a unit of Space Marines is excellent, especially because they don't get their precious 3+ save. Vespids can also make good assault troops, but I wouldn't recommend it. They're better used as a hunter unit, taking down troublesome units of Marines and such. Another major disadvantage is that they fall back 12" and they only have a 5+ save. However, all these shouldn't discourage you from taking a unit of Stingwings (or possibly two) I strongly recommend taking a unit of Vespid, especially if you're up against Marines.

Also, the lesser-known human auxiliaries can serve as cheaper alternatives to the Kroot bullet sponge. They at least have an armor save.

Hope this helped.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the feed back, especially so quickly. I think I do like this forum. However this does bring up a few more questions. For one where is the line drawn between "large" and "small" games. I've only played 1500 at this point. Also is the pulse rifle the only real choice for fire warriors? I load up mine in a devilfish so I think I have one squad devoted to each weapon. Then again the Pulse Carbine squad always seems to die rather quickly. Those sniper drones do sound rather tempting but I don't think I could part with my broadside team and hammerheads. *sigh* I wish I could have 4 heavy support choices. And I'd have to agree that i'd much rather have crisis suits over stealth. Which brings me to my next question. It seems that alot of players mix around their weapon choices within a squad of crisis suits. I've always had a thing about mixing ranges within a unit, but I could certainly understand the usefulness of a blend especially with the target lock.

Nezzerus almost has me sold on the stingwings, that ap 3 weapon is pretty tempting. But for me, if a weapon has less then 24" range I basically ignore it. Melta weapons are an exception to this but thats about it. and I hardly need seeker missles. maybe in games with lots of terrain to hide behind, but otherwise my broadsides and hammerheads tear up vehicles like nothing. it was rather sad when my friend used a speed freeks army on me. especially when my fire warriors had a decent chance of taking down his truks.

Dem orky boys 'ave been rubbin' of on me. We like da Tau an der big gunz, but da orks 'ave da right idea. We'z gotta crump 'em good with shooty and choppy, fer no raison udder den ta crump 'em. Dat and talk da good orky talk.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 04:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hello there welcome to the forums!!! ;D

It would help us help you if your would post your army list in the "Tau army list" child board(within this board) so we can all see it then describe your individual tactics.

Post what you consider a small point list first, then post your 1500 point list since that is your highest point game to date.

We can look at what you have, and listen to your tactical plans, then make suggestions which will balance out your army.

Also, knowing what types of armies you play against is helpful if you are looking for help in "tailoring" a list. Otherwise advice will tend to be given with a "Take All Comers" list approach in mind.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nothing is ever necessary unless the rules say it is. Since the ru
les don't say that you have to take markerlights or stealthsuits or auxiliaries, then you don't have to. Actually, the Tau army I've got going doesn't have any of those. You can be just as successful (just out-smart the bad guys with unconventional tactics).

And just so you know, everyone has trouble against 2 and 3+ saves.

In regards to the colour scheme, it sounds good (black, grey and white go with everything). What I do is paint the Plating on the suits the colour of the armour on my FWs. It's look mostly the same, but whatever. Then, the colour you used for the fatigues on the FWs can be applied to the non-armour bits.

Welcome to TauOnline!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Two points. One is for the crisis teams. Personally I love the fire knife configuration (plasma, missle pod) both ok ranges 24" and 36". plus I find they fill in the role of marine/ light vechile killy that is otherwise lacking in my tau army.

Second. I am right there with you in regards to 4 heavy support options. Still I have found Sniper teams to be awesome. The markerlight is really useful for a seeker strike against vechiles or propping up a FoF attak. Plus any unit that has 3 s 6 AP 3 guns can't be bad in my book. The fact that you can take 3 as one heavy support choice kind of allows you 5 heavy slots. That being said I tend to play alot of marines so am probably a bit biased.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Closed Thread