Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 Point Tau Army
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jan 2005, 10:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 500 Point Tau Army

Hey, I'm new here, and although I have had the Tau Codex for a long time, I recently decided to start collecting them.

So far I just have a Fire Warrior boxed set, and I'm wondering what you would recommend.

My main opponent is probably going to be an Eldar player with quite a large army, and lots of choice. He will probably use a Fire Prism, Striking Scorpions, Rangers, and an Avatar, although I can't confirm it. He has many Aspect Warriors to choose from.

I get the feeling that Kroot will be pointless in such a small battle, and I probably wouldn't normally take a Hammerhead, but if I don't that leaves me with very little chance to take out the Fire Prism (why can't Tau Fire Warriors have weapon upgrades :-\ like SM Missile Launchers). Fire Prisms will be deadly against all my troops (template weapon), and I'd rather take it out early. But on the other hand, if he gets the first turn, he has a chance of destroying whatever tank I take.

I considered taking Broadsides, but they are very expensive, and if I do get rid of the Fire Prism, they won't have much else to shoot at (no submunitions).

In any case, can you recommend to me the next few purchases I should make to bring my total up to 500 points?

Thanks .

The Eistol Incident, Part 1
Old 08 Jan 2005, 13:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 500 Point Tau Army

Hey Welcome to the forums.

Ummm.. you could purchase either a Crisis Battlesuit (for commander, anti tank well anti anything, very versitile)

or

An Aun/ethereal

I suggest the Crisis battle suit (Shas'o) as commander because you can custimize it to be any anti[unit here] you want.

Another firewarrior box, give you a good firing line. Massed pulse rifle fire can be devastating.

Stealthsuit for anti infantry or a good annoyance....Stealthsuits have burst cannons 4 members pump out 12 shots which can be devastating to low leadership or low toughnesss troops.

An another crisis suit in elite troops if you want (can be a tank hunter)

Overview.

Crisis Battlesuit - Headquarters

Fire Warrior Squad - Can't have to many

Stealthsuits or another Crisis suit...

Welcome and Good luck.

Aaron

Old 08 Jan 2005, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

My main opponent is probably going to be an Eldar player with quite a large army, and lots of choice. He will probably use a Fire Prism, Striking Scorpions, Rangers, and an Avatar, although I can't confirm it. He has many Aspect Warriors to choose from.
So you'll want a versatile force?

I get the feeling that Kroot will be pointless in such a small battle,
incorrect, they are still 60 attacks for 140points, good deal in any game, make mincemeat of even scorpions and bog an avatar down for a week.

and I probably wouldn't normally take a Hammerhead, but if I don't that leaves me with very little chance to take out the Fire Prism (why can't Tau Fire Warriors have weapon upgrades like SM Missile Launchers).
thats just the way they are, we get the best infantry weapon in the game for giving up our squad heavies

Fire Prisms will be deadly against all my troops (template weapon), and I'd rather take it out early. But on the other hand, if he gets the first turn, he has a chance of destroying whatever tank I take.
the prisim has BS3 and a single shot weapon..... I'm not inclined to fear it and it needs LOS.

I considered taking Broadsides, but they are very expensive, and if I do get rid of the Fire Prism, they won't have much else to shoot at (no submunitions).
yup, 500pts is way too small for sides.

In any case, can you recommend to me the next few purchases I should make to bring my total up to 500 points?

I belive I can ;D

ok, assuming your not going to be playing a combat patrol variant (I'd advise it until 750pts becomes avalable)

you'll want to keep low on the points for your HQ so you can get more troops so well make best use of the HQ slot by using the Shas'El for a tankhunter.

Shas'El
Fusion, MP, MT
81pts

good for nuking the avatar and that Fire prisim.

for the Troops we'll want to go with a unit of FW compulsory, I'm going to give them a 'Fish so they can escape the scorpions when they need to (inevitable as scorps infiltrate and it also allows them to use the Fish of Fury tactic) and the upgrades as every troop that runs in small games hurts loads. so we have:

12xFirewarriors
-Shas'ui
-Bonded
-Devilfish
-Decoy Launchers
225pts.

so were up to 306 points and we need another troop and a support unit for the commander, so another Fish squad is out. so were left with Kroot, they infiltrate and have 60 attacks on the charge or 20 bolter shots out of terrain. whats not to like ;D.

20 Kroot
140pts.

446pts gone and a support unit to bou, so we turn to the crisis. a one man squad to help protect the commander w/ TLMP and a Flamer to fill the hard point and maybe get used to kill off the rangers coversaves will set us back 57points.

Crsis suit
-Flamer, TLMP
57pts

so total comes to 503points for a well rounded force with the ability to lay down the fire on your eldar opponent.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 08 Jan 2005, 16:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'll probably take 2 Crisis Battlesuits, people seem to agree on that and it would be a cheap tank-hunting option.

My issue with the Kroot is that they don't have a good armour save, but against my opponent's army it probably won't make too much of a difference - I suppose he will either underestimate them and let me slaughter some of his troops in close combat, or he will go for them and leave my tau to shoot the... stuff... out of him 8).

Is a flamer really worth it? They aren't fantastic weapons, and I doubt I'll ever get in range of their rangers (unless I kill that tank off nice and early). But I suppose the second battlesuit is meant to be a firepower-absorber.

Now I'll need to get a new Devilfish Boxed Set :

Thanks for your help . I've recently returned to 40k after a long absence, this is my warm-up battle.

If you've got any other alternative tips for army selection, or tactics I could use, please let me know.

The Eistol Incident, Part 1
Old 08 Jan 2005, 17:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

The kroot have No save, thast why they have Infiltrate, so they can get into terrain and get a coversave.

you get 2 battlesuits in my version :P

and the Flamer is there to take up the third hardpoint which must be filled, its better to have the flamer than a useless MT as the flamer only costs one more point and you might just get to use it.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread