Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Many Markerlights, many targets. But where to fire?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Many Markerlights, many targets. But where to fire?

This is a particular conundrum that has only recently arisen in my hunter cadre.

I often deploy squads of 12 firewarriors with pulse rifles, then drop in a Shas'Ui. The Shas'Ui is then equiped with a markerlight as well as a bonding knife.
Now the complication comes next:

The Shas'Ui is then given some Hardwired equipment that causes some issues...

HW Target Lock and then two HW Marker Drones.

Now I know the Shas'ui can fire at a seperate targets thanks to his TL, but the question is where do his Marker Drones fire?

Do they fire with the Shas'Ui?

"OR"

Are they forced to point their networked makerlights at the same target the rest of the squad has?

I would appreciate any clarification anyone may be able to provide.

Thank you

Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Many Markerlights, many targets..but where to fire?

They don't have Target Locks, so they fire with whatever unit they are attached to.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, the Marker Drones fire with the squad. May I suggest using a Multi-Tracker instead tho? Use the Marker Drones for the Squad (and the Shas'Ui's Rifle) then the Shas'Ui's light for some support (like a Seeker or something.)

Then again, you're talking to a guy who just wrote a 2500pt list with 23 lights in it. So I can afford 3 Squads that do this. I'll have 20 more to do other things....
Old 14 Nov 2006, 23:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

From what I gather, I think what he is asking is if the drones get the benefit of a Shas'ui with a target lock. To put it another way, can the drones fire at the target that the Shas'ui is firing at and not at what the rest of the squad is shooting at? I believe the answer is no. If you read the description of the target lock, it says that the benefit only applies to the model; therefore, this benefit would not carry over to the drones he is controlling.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that there's no separate definition for a multi-tracker underneath the Infantry Armoury section? I just point this out because the descriptions under the battlesuit and vehicle sections have essentially different purposes, and the codex makes a habit of declaring the differences as they change. I would assume that infantry use the description under battlesuits, but what's the point? If that's the case, can a Shas'ui fire his markerlight and his rifle in the same turn? :-\
Old 14 Nov 2006, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasoStrike
If that's the case, can a Shas'ui fire his markerlight and his rifle in the same turn? :-\
Yes, but there really is no point.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 04:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Many Markerlights, many targets. But where to fire?

I beg to differ, see my post above. If you're using marker squads of 12, then don't bother, but at 8 it can be a crucial addition to the unit. I wouldn't suggest mixing Target Lock and Multi-Tracker on your Markerlight Shas'Ui. You only need one or the other. If you're targeting a separate unit with the Markerlight, you've probably got some other, stronger unit to shoot at than a single Pulse Rifle can deal with.
Closed Thread