Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is this possible?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is this possible?

I was just wondering if this combination was possible, as im not fantastic on the in's and out's of the rules....

Can a fire warrior squad take a Shas-ui with a drone controller, with a gun drone and a marker drone, with a networked markerlight?

If so, this is a deadly combination. The possible markerlight hit will improve your firepower (if you dont move off course) and you can also use the gun drones RL carbines to force a pinning test, if it kills something.

Also, does the drone lose its jetpack move in the assault phase, as its joined a group of infantry?
It must have some downside surely, as it costs 2 points less than a normal gun drone in a fast attack squad.

Thanks in advance for any help. ;D
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Is this possible?

Yes it's possible.

Remember that all drones take the movement class of the unit they accompany - so any drone with Broadsides/Pathfinders/Fire Warriors has no assault move capability.

A markerlight drone in a Shas'Ui isn't actually all that great. The problem with markerlight drones is that they're hugely expensive, but yet can only put a markerlight on a target 50 percent of the time. For half the cost, you can get a Shas'Ui with a Target Lock and personal markerlight that will do the same thing - the only thing you give up is the Networked capability to benefit from your own markerlight hit.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes the gun drone will lose the assualt move when attached to an infantry unit. If the unit it is attached to doen't have the extra assualt move than the drone loses it too. And if you equip the 'ui with a markerlight and HWTL with two squads like that you can increase your BS to 5 and 12 FW's hitting on 5's and wounding on 2+ is a deadly combo for anything S3 and for S4 they wound on 3's.

Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks guys.

Im playing a 500pt border patrol game thingy against a friend tomorrow night. He wants to test out his new Eldar, so we're just having a quick game.

I think two units of 12 FW's with Shas'ui with HWTL and markerlight and 2 gun drones each should cause a lot of damage.
If used together then they can use each others markerlight shot, if they dont move.
At guardians, with the upgrade to BS that will be hitting on 3+'s and killing on a 2+. Ouch.

Other than that I think I might take some crisis suits with flamers and burst cannons.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yo!

yes, by all means, this is possible, but very pricey. for a normal 12-man/blueskinnedcreature squad,
it's 120pts+10 for 'ui and+10for m-light and yet another +30(? don;t have codex on me) for markerdrone= one 170pt. squad that can pump out 11x pulse rifles at +2BS

good concept, but too pricey for my tastes. ;D
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorelineviking
yo!

yes, by all means, this is possible, but very pricey. for a normal 12-man/blueskinnedcreature squad,
it's 120pts+10 for 'ui and+10for m-light and yet another +30(? don;t have codex on me) for markerdrone= one 170pt. squad that can pump out 11x pulse rifles at +2BS

good concept, but too pricey for my tastes. ;D
That squad can't; the Shas'Ui markerlight is not networked.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Instead of having 2 squads of 12 with a GD and MD in them, I'd rather have 3 squads of 8 with a ML and a Multi-Tracker on the Ui. Bond'em to make a cool 110pts total, Now you have a Concentrated-FireTeam of doom! Team 1: Marker, shoot all 8 Pulse. Team 2: Marker, shoot all 8 Pulse, Team 3: Marker BS3, shoot all 8 Pulse with BS4 almost Garaunteed. Hopefully BS5. Last Marker fires a Seeker or guides some other deadly shot from somewhere else.

Simple maths, I'd rather have 1 team of 8 getting BS4 50%, and BS5 25% (leaving 25% that they'll still shoot at BS3) Then Two 12-man squads getting BS4 50%, BS3 50%. When the 12-mans work, they'll be better, but the 8-man is more reliable.
Closed Thread