Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmers and Ordnance
Closed Thread
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Skimmers and Ordnance

A question for the nomenklatura...

The big book states that any skimmer moving more than 6" reduces a 'penetrating' hit to a 'glancing' hit. But what about ordnance hits? Do these penetrating hits also become reduced to glancing?

I did not find any topic that addressed this; that could be because it is somewhat obvious in the rulebook, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for any help,
v/r
Pugs
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Skimmers and Ordinance

The skimmers moving fast rule overrides it.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like to think of it in realistic terms:
if an autocannon dents a skimmer while it zipps along terrain, the rounds may refract off the vehicle. However, no matter where the skimmer is under an ordnance blast, it's still going to fry.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderous
The skimmers moving fast rule overrides it.
Ditto, the SMF rule says anything that beats its AV value still uses the glancing table.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 23:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
I like to think of it in realistic terms:
if an autocannon dents a skimmer while it zipps along terrain, the rounds may refract off the vehicle. However, no matter where the skimmer is under an ordnance blast, it's still going to fry.
In realistic terms the ordanance shell is just as likely to bounce off the speeding skimmer and crash into the ground behind the speeding vehicle. Shrapnel and fragments may still impact the vehicle and it could be rocked by the explosion but it is very unlikely that something moving that fast would be able to be directly penetrated by flying ordanance.

Remember the vehicles classed as skimmers are all sleek shapes moving very quickly, Piranhas, Land Speeders, Raiders, Falcons, Wave Serpents, and even most Tau vehicles will be armed with Multi Trackers and be moving at high speeds aswell. Its not a Land Raider rolling indomitably down the street being blasted its a sleek moving skimmer that the shell may just glance off as it explodes which could well bring the more fragile vehicles down nevertheless but likely wont obliterate them like it would a slower moving ground based vehicle.

So that rationalised a bit I agree that the ordanance penetrating is still downed to a glancing hit.

Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Skimmers and Ordnance

Please allow me some latitude to become the devil's advocate (as I actually play someone I believe to actually be on the devil's payroll).

1st point: The ordinance damage table for vehicles has a different name and spreadsheet

2nd point: The rules don't specifically state anything about ordinance, only penetrating hits.

3rd point: I really wish i actually had a third point; it would sound more impressive.

I play tau exclusively and would like very muchly for all hits on my vehicles to be glances. Can anyone cite a passage in the rule book I can use to argue my point?

~Cheers
Pugs
Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

As I recall, it simply states that hits that exceed the vehicle's army rating are downgraded to glancing. It makes no distinctions about what kind of weapon is involved. It doesn't even say penetrating hits, if I remember correctly, leading to that weird RaW loophole with AP1 weaponry.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
As I recall, it simply states that hit that exceed the vehicle's army rating are downgraded to glancing. It makes no distinctions about what kind of weapon is involved. It doesn't even say penetrating hits, if I remember correctly, leading to that weird RaW loophole with AP1 weaponry.
Yes, the rule does not say "Penetrating" but says "...hits that beat the Armor Value..."(Rulebook page 69). Thus, ordnance is covered by skimmers moving.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Note,

See rulebook FAQ about skimmers moving fast.
AP1 "loophole" is corrected. As is close combat against skimmers.
Ordnance only rolls on the ordnance chart when it does not glance.

When moving fast, no matter what, it's always glance only.

Simple as that.

Cheers!