Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechaniced Tau armylist
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2005, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Mechaniced Tau armylist

I've been working on an armylist, i can use at tournaments, and i've gone from a firebase type, to a semi mobile to an all mobile army, from not using an etheral, to using an ethereal, and now, to not using an ethereal.

So this is what i have ended up with. I've tried to stick with the mechaniced theme, so no unit that moves less than 12" per turn.

what do you guys think? anything i've forgotten?

Quote:
1696 Pts - Mechaniced Tau Army

1 Commander Shas'o (HQ) - 145 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generators
Hard-wired target lock
Hard-wired multi-tracker
Hard-wired blacksun filter

2 Crisis Battlesuit Team (Elites) - 130 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

5 Stealth Team (Elites) - 207 Pts
Burst Cannon (x5)

1 Team Leader
Burst Cannon
Hard-wired drone controller [2]

2 Drones
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

12 Fire Warriors (Troops) - 220 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x12)

1 Devilfish Dropship
Burst Cannon; Landing Gear
Pair of Gun Drones

2 Gun Drones
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)
Flechette Dicharger
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher

Pulse Rifle (x12)

1 Devilfish Dropship
Pair of Gun Drones

2 Gun Drones
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)
Flechette Dicharger
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher

8 Pathfinders (Fast Attack) - 231 Pts
Pulse Carbine (x5); Rail Rifle (x3); Markerlight

1 Devilfish Dropship
Pair of Gun Drones

2 Gun Drones
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)
Sensor Spines
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher
Disruption Pod

1 Hammerhead Gunship (Heavy Support) - 210 Pts
Railgun; Smart Missile System; Landing Gear
Targetting Array
Multi-tracker
Target Lock
Decoy Launcher
Seeker Missile

Railgun; Smart Missile System; Landing Gear
Targetting Array
Multi-tracker
Target Lock
Decoy Launcher
Seeker Missile

Models in Army: 56

Total Army Cost: 1696
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Old 07 Jan 2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Mechaniced Tau armylist

It looks good to me.* Was there any particular reason you shot for a 1700 point total?

In higher point games, I would definitely recommend adding more Fire Warriors.* You can stay with the 12man/Devilfish concept, or downgrade to smaller units as you think best.* In short, the only vulnerability I see is the lack of man(Tau?)-numbers.* A good round of enemy shooting might cripple you badly, especially if your opponent can absorb a round of your own units' firepower.* *

I can't really think of anything else to mention offhand.* If you ever come into a tournament with more than 1700 points, yet less than the 220 needed to add a thrid squad of Fire Warriors, I'd recommend adding Gun Drones.* That would give you more numbers with a good save, and the mobility you demand.

Good luck, and Cheers!
Old 07 Jan 2005, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

ok, lets go from the top...

commander - some pretty ineffective upgrades im afraid here, you want to keep this guy nice and simple! The target lock has no use seeing as he doesnt have a bodygaurd squad (and shouldnt at all costs!), also the blacksun filter is a bit of a waste IMO, and the shield generators are an expensive points sink as he should be using his IC rule to keep him alive, go with a simple fireknife and not only will it save you points, it shoud work just as well!

Crisis Battlesuits - Nice choices here, simple, effective, i like it!

Stealth's - ahh the gu drone option, i actually use this myself sometimes to increase numbers, some may say waste of points? but i like that slight extra volume of (more accurate!) fire power.

Fire Warriors - I'm sorry but these guys and their devilfishs have been kitted out a little bit sloppily like the ocmmander, you have the jist of what to do with them, but the upgrades are slightly wrong for their purpose, no worries! Firstly you have 12 fire warriors per team - good! maxed out FW's are the best way to go by far! Second, bond them and give them a shas'ui to ensure a really tough squad. Then on the devilfish you can afford these FW upgrades by loosing the flechette discharger (FoF devilfish don't tank shock!) and multitrakcer, 10 points to ensure a burst cannon fireing isnt worth it, trust me :P! Also i know they are free but cut the landing gear, they take away only glancing hits on the fish (when moving over 6" whuich you MUST be doing) and also if you leave it as a skimmer it can only be hit on a 6 in cc, very valuable when you are using the FoF tactic. If your worried about the whole immobilised/destoryed aspect of being a skimmer then not to worry - decoy launchers!

The second thing about the fire warriors is that their isn't enough of them! i look down your list and i see pathfinders! these guys eat up points like mad, they must take a devilfsh which wont be used to full effect seeing as pathfinders have to be stationary to shoot markerlights (which is why you bought them!) the railrifles are awsome weapons yeh...but bear in mind that squad cant use its markerlights to mark for the railrifles so suddenly only 1.5 are going to be hitting each turn....not so valuable for their points. What may seem an awsome unit on papaer fequently turns out to be a waste of points, will that unit really do as much damage to pay back its points cost? or be capturing objectives etc.? no!, therefore ditch the squad and take 3 FoF squads instead for a similar points cost.

Heavy support - 2 HH, ok not a lot of heavy support but a lot of points? why, im afraid that old problem of unneccessery upgrades as hit again, sorry if im sounding harsh but im just trying to be helpful, you can save youself a lot of points here which can be spent elsewhere to makeyour army stronger. SMS are nice but the burst cannon only have 6" less range and to make up for it 2 more shots, ok the SMS is a better weapon but dont shell out on them, keep the HH a great tank, but still a cheap tank (it can be done!). Get rid of the landing gear for the same reasons as a fish, increased survivability, and with the decoys you wont notice a thing! (apart from it stay s alive longer!) Ditch the seeker missile (no pathfinders now) and target lock (this HH is a one gun werapon unless your going close to submunitions and burst cannon a squad to pulp *;D) so we will just have hammerheads with railguns, burst cannon, multitrakcer (moving 12" and firing IS important with this tank!) and decoys (so you wont feel tempeted to take landing gear hopefully!)

so that makes a list like this -

Fireknife (PR, MP, MT) Shas'o-
110pts

2 Crisis Fire Knife x 2 = 260

6 Stealth, Team Leader with 2 gun drones and HW drone controlle, Bonded (forgot to add this but 90pts of these guys is a real pain to use - actually 120 points eeing as its an 8 man squad...bonding is necessery ofr these suits)r - 217

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui, Bonded, x3 = 675
Devilfish, Decoy Launchers

2x HH, Railguns, Burst Cannon, Decoy Laucnchers, Multitrakcer - 330

TOTAL - 1592

Huh where did all the points go! lol, useless upgrades, this is a very similar army in terms of model count, in fact it has a higher one, yet a smaller points cost! whoo, ok, now if your aiming for a 1700 point list here then we have 108 point left, for that you really wantr some kroot, ok they wont get the same mobility as the rest of your army, but in alrge mobs they will be able to cover for your army by tying up fast units in cc to mask a retreat, gaining objectives, carry out risky missions, tkaing cover, and they infiltrate so they are never far away from an enemy. Some people laugh at kroot for not having a save but you will be the one laughing, they can fill numerous handy roles in the battlefield that no codex tau unit cna fulfil, an army this size needs a large mob of kroot! they work best in 20's - 140pts - 32points to get rid of somehow form the original list - im looking at those gun drone on the stealths, i admit they are nice, but in no means as essential and valuable as some of the other upgraes we have so just stck with 6 normal stealths and that will save 27 points and your just 5 points over! either keep it like this but if your list HAS to be 1700 exactly (annoying) then im sure you can find one upgrade to get rid of, downgrading your shas'o to 'el is a possiblity but its up to you!

Hope ive been of helo and enither too critical or too hash!
Old 07 Jan 2005, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, thanks for the advice, although i dont agree with much of it...

The firewarriors has been kitted as they have, to be effective if one of the fishes go down. I admit that the flechette discharger is a bit over the top, but other that that, the upgrades make them more effective, imo.
and adding a shasui?, ehm why? other than ld8 he has nothing to offer the sqaud, except higher point cost.

Now, pathfinders. These are there, to take care of falcons, landspeedes and whirlwinds. Pregame move, and seeker missiles in turn 1 can be quite effective.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Old 07 Jan 2005, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

ok, point taken about pathfinders but they are an auwful points sink imo, you could get a HH and a crisi suits for the same points hwich would be much better at tank killing, also you want the shas'ui and bonded because leadership 7 is poor you have about a 50/50 % chance of failing i think...and if you do go down to under halfnumber and fail another test (this time it would be with ld 6 for being under 50%) then you are really stuck....the fw upgrades prevent this.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

1696 Pts *- * Mechaniced Tau Army

1 Commander Shas'o (HQ) - 145 Pts
* * Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generators
* * Hard-wired target lock
* * Hard-wired multi-tracker
* * Hard-wired blacksun filter
.... we love the upgrades dont we :P, drop down to a Fireknife 'El IMO as you are running low on models and the extra points will beef them up.

* * Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

* * Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker
perfect, adaptable and stable, the epitome of the versatility needed for an all round tournament list.

5 Stealth Team (Elites) - 207 Pts
* * Burst Cannon (x5)
plain and simple, good

* * 1 Team Leader
* * * * *Burst Cannon
* * * * *Hard-wired drone controller [2]

* * * * *2 Drones
* * * * * * * TL Pulse Carbine (x2)
not loving the upgrades here, too many and the TL doesnt add anything to the squad bar one more point of WS, the drones really arent worth 25pts IMO.

* * Pulse Rifle (x12)

* * 1 Devilfish Dropship
* * * * *Burst Cannon; Landing Gear
* * * * *Pair of Gun Drones

* * * * * * * 2 Gun Drones
* * * * * * * * * *TL Pulse Carbine (x2)
* * * * *Flechette Dicharger
* * * * *Multi-tracker
* * * * *Decoy Launcher

* * Pulse Rifle (x12)

* * 1 Devilfish Dropship

* * * * *Flechette Dicharger
* * * * *Multi-tracker
* * * * *Decoy Launcher
Flechette launchers are IMO worthless, try to protect your fishes, not recklessly throw them about, drop the MT to bond them, losing a 220point squad to <50% sucks, and the Shas'ui upgrade is nice but not neccecary as you'll be within 12"and you whould be firing at the closest target, if you can afford it get the shas'ui in a second as he helps out with the invetable checks.

8 Pathfinders (Fast Attack) - 231 Pts
* * Pulse Carbine (x5); Rail Rifle (x3); Markerlight

* * 1 Devilfish Dropship

* * * * *Sensor Spines
* * * * *Multi-tracker
* * * * *Decoy Launcher
* * * * *Disruption Pod
bad unit IMO, having vermy many problems in 4th edition, their signiature weapons and the upgrades are heavy yet they have a devilfish?, drop for another FW squad, this adds more numbers and firepower to the squad.

* * Railgun; Smart Missile System; Landing Gear
* * Targetting Array
* * Multi-tracker
* * Target Lock
* * Decoy Launcher
* * Seeker Missile

* * Railgun; Smart Missile System; Landing Gear
* * Targetting Array
* * Multi-tracker
* * Target Lock
* * Decoy Launcher
* * Seeker Missile

Drop the seekers as the pathfinders are gone and IMO they only make the opponents priority targets more tempting.

that gives you a few points to play with, should be atleast enough to get another Crisis suit, and hopefully dig some up for the Shas'ui on the FW teams, bonding comes first though.

Ld 8 is much easier to pass than 7 well worth 10pts and Ld6 is vary hard to pass.
MP are much more effective than Pathfinders at breaking light tanks open, and you have railguns ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread