Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sneaky seeker missiles
Closed Thread
Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Sneaky seeker missiles

When the new codex came out, seeker missiles changed in a significant way: no longer did they come from the direction of the markerlight, but of the vehicle launching them. This, plus the addition of the piranha, makes possible an extremely sneaky tank hunting strategy.

In concept, it's quite simple:

Piranhas with seekers move up to 24", usually on the first turn or so, and out of LOS of the enemy army. Markerlights then light up the intended vehicle, and seekers from the piranhas are called in.

However, the piranhas can draw a direct line to the side or rear armor of the target because they moved so far. The seekers impact the weaker armor, and punch right through AV 12 or less with ease.

The normal damage for seekers against vehicles is next to none, as front armor tends to be too heavy. Your opponent knows this, and will largely be focusing on your railguns when trying to keep his tanks safe. Seekers coming from a completely new angle will probably be the last thing on his mind.

The only drawback to the strategy is that markerlights still need LOS to the target. For a guide to using various markerlight sources:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17630.0

Heck, even should your opponent not bring vehicles, seeker missiles can still be effective:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...5432#msg155432
Old 11 Nov 2006, 11:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Sneaky seeker missiles

A good idea. As the Piranha is the only fast skimmer we have we should use it for flanking maneuvers. Fitting it with seekers and then perhaps have a pathfinder team mark it might be able to take out one or two of the enemies vehicles in round 1 or 2.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Congratulations, you just figured out the entire idea behind me army :shifty:

Still, it's worth bringing up I think. Good work.

Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

True, and although many players have realized this a long time ago it's good to see that someone cares enough to write it down

In my opinion this makes Stealthsuits quite important markerlight carriers because their infiltrate + field makes it a lot easier to get LOS earlier (so your piranhas can just zoom across on turn 1) to the tanks.

What do you think?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I normally don't equip my stealths with markerlights and very often I don't bring them to the battle as I use 3 monats to fill my elite slots.. but maybe I should consider this. It might be a very good bargain to be honest.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 17:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Infiltrating markerlights would work great on the first turn.

After that, the stealthsuits are probably going to be moving a lot.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 21:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would rather have the stealthsuits attack the side armour with mass burst cannon shots rather than having them sit back marker them and waiting for a seekers. Plus, it's cheaper to do the first piont.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 23:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The key I use is a unit of 4 with BCs and a Marker. Infiltrate and mark on the first turn, help call down an Alpha Strike, then you have a good mobile, invisible FW team (Pulse shot wise) to sneak up and pop any missed rear armour. Or throw in a Fusion Blaster (but I do this for my 3rd team without a Marker, as I want them running out of the gate into enemy lines, or Deep Striking) and make them tank hunters, with the ML first turn and then Fusions after. An expensive team (because for this you should either have 6 or add Sheild Gens, or both) but it'll pop tanks like your Daddy don't know!!! They won't have Fusion range first turn, anyways (tho I like to move mine so they can get hidden artillery, that's their in-game objective every game, anyways, Seekers take out anything else.) Keep in mind, when I have my planned list, I'll have about 12 Seekers in my 1500pt army, so it may not be totally viable for a non-Seeker enthusiast to go that far (2 teams of Stealth with MLs) but y'know.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 07:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
When the new codex came out, seeker missiles changed in a significant way: no longer did they come from the direction of the markerlight, but of the vehicle launching them.
Hate to burst your bubble, but they could have done that in the old codex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
This, plus the addition of the piranha, makes possible an extremely sneaky tank hunting strategy.
This idea poped up quite a while back, so it's nothing new, though you may have been the first to give it it's own thread.