Warhammer 40K Forum

Rule Question - Markerlights
Closed Thread
Old 10 Nov 2006, 21:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Rule Question - Markerlights

Pretty Simple Question,

Question 1:
In a game 2 vs 2, Can my Tau partner use my Marker lights counter or its restricted to my army?

Question 2:
I dont understand clearly the text for the penalty cover save (-1) by marker lights (Im a french with an English Codex! ;D ).

Does the marked units gets -1 penalty for a specific firing Tau unit or for all Tau units firing at the marked unit?

Thanks for the awnser, We run a little tournement tommorrow and these awnser would help me a lot!

Commander Shas'O Ben't'O
Proud Member of "Crève Mon Sale"
http://crevemonsale.googlepages.com/

Old 10 Nov 2006, 21:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Rule Question - Marker lights

Heya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Shas'O Ben't'O
Question 1:
In a game 2 vs 2, Can my Tau partner use my Marker lights counter or its restricted to my army?
Whoever has the Markerlights is the only person that can use them. If one of your squads of Firewarriors has a Shas'ui with a Markerlight, he's the only one that can use it, as he's the only one that has a Markerlight listed in his army list. Another Tau troop can't run up to him mid-game and ask, "Can I borrow a Markerlight for a sec?". No. He's gotta have one in his list to use one.

Quote:
Question 2:
Does the marked units gets -1 penalty for a specific firing Tau unit or for all Tau units firing at the marked unit?
Only one unit can use the effects of a Markerlight, as after one unit shoots, and uses the Markerlight's effect, it's gone, and as shooting is played out in turns, it's a one-unit maximum limit per marker. So only one unit can claim their shooting has the -1 cover save ability.

Codex writing can be pretty confusing sometimes, and a lot of players find themselves asking for help. You're not alone.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Heya,

Quote:
Question 1:
Whoever has the Markerlights is the only person that can use them. If one of your squads of Firewarriors has a Shas'ui with a Markerlight, he's the only one that can use it, as he's the only one that has a Markerlight listed in his army list. Another Tau troop can't run up to him mid-game and ask, "Can I borrow a Markerlight for a sec?". No. He's gotta have one in his list to use one.
I think that if both players on one side are Tau players that they can share the Markerlight. Each player of course has to use their own, but, IMHO, the other player can use the Markerlight for his troops... if the player will allow him (he might have an idea on what he was using that 'Light for)
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Have to hunt around for a precendent on the Markerlights, unless you want to work out a house rule (though bear in mind this is opening up the ability of marines to use just one commanders LD etc). There was one for Orcs in warhammer and the WAAGH spell (more confusing as it might affect opponents as well).
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Uh I dont think thats what he meant. Its pretty obvious you cant switch gear around in an army after deployment. The question is actually a common one, say 3 Pathfinders hit a Land Raider with their markerlights. Can the Tau players ally use those markerlight hits to boost the ballistic skill of his nearby Devastator Squad. I havent heard any decisive decision either way so its up to individuals to decide how to interpret it. I would myself say that they could not. Each Tau cadre has its own network system with the markerlights and other cadres cant patch in on the fly and neither could other races. But thats just my interpretation.

Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Uh I dont think thats what he meant. Its pretty obvious you cant switch gear around in an army after deployment. The question is actually a common one, say 3 Pathfinders hit a Land Raider with their markerlights. Can the Tau players ally use those markerlight hits to boost the ballistic skill of his nearby Devastator Squad. I havent heard any decisive decision either way so its up to individuals to decide how to interpret it. I would myself say that they could not. Each Tau cadre has its own network system with the markerlights and other cadres cant patch in on the fly and neither could other races. But thats just my interpretation.
Its a bit simplier than that even - he wants to use his pathfinders to boost the stats of another Tau player.

Might be easier in future to just pick your army together off the same card (or 2 if its more than 2000+) and then there clearly isn't any problems, its just two people playing with one army done in an 'unusual colours scheme'
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:35   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm not sure. If your partner is a Tau player, the answer is probably yes. If not I would say no. This is the same vague territory that shows up with Holy Relics, Tyranids, Necrons, and many other special rules that were not written with allied teams in mind.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
Its a bit simplier than that even - he wants to use his pathfinders to boost the stats of another Tau player.

Might be easier in future to just pick your army together off the same card (or 2 if its more than 2000+) and then there clearly isn't any problems, its just two people playing with one army done in an 'unusual colours scheme'

We are running a little tournement, a custom version of Medusa V, with 20 participant, playing 2 vs 2 each time. So it's kind of normal we have two army list... ;D

The question remains: can i use my markerlights (tetra/Pathfinders/What ever Marker hits....) to boost my Tau Ally

Im not trying to boost necron or anyother race... Just another Tau Hunter cadre...

The book state that each time you hit, you put a counter next to the squad, then that* counter may be expended by subsequently firing Tau firing at the marked unit...

The Counter remains until the end of the Tau shooting phase, or until they are expended....

:huh:

I am really not sure of that one... We will probably toss a coin...

Old 10 Nov 2006, 23:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Heya

A Markerlight is in fact nothing else then a Laserbeam with reduced energy... so why the hell should for example a Hammerhead-Commander from another Cadre not be able to link the railgun up to that little fizy red point? Fluffwise it should be easy for two cadres to work together and share markerlights, imho is the in-battle coordination from tau-cadres very good ;O.

just my 2cents
Old 10 Nov 2006, 23:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd say yes, but make it clear that these sort of things affect everyone - allied Tyranids can share synapse coverage, marines can be directed by force commanders and Orks can mob up together. The only exceptions I would make would be for unique units (mainly the IG vox caster and command platoon) which I would allow only if the players abide by the codex restrictions for both armies (i.e 0-1 covers the alliance, not each seperate force)
Closed Thread