Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A request.
Closed Thread
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default A request.

Alright, the new Eldar codex has come out, I've got a friend that's gonna be dusting off his old army now that they've been re-done, but I have NO IDEA of anything in the old codex, let alone the new one (I have a feeling I was given the twice-over a couple of times with the old 'dex) so, anyone who's had a good look into it, or has picked up the new codex, can I request a rundown of what I need to watch out for, what units would be priority targets, and any weaknesses that Tau can exploit. Maybe not a full tactica yet (I'm sure there needs to be some time to get some games in to test out theories and such) but just a "hey, this will win the battle for you, this will break your army in two" type things. I know Eldar are sometimes difficult to play & beat, so I want some inside scoops here.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: A request.

No disrespect intended, but you're asking for an almost impossible task.

Eldar are one of the most customizable forces in the game!

Eldar aren't changing THAT much this iteration - at least not from the perspective of the Tau.

When playing Tau v. Eldar, the Eldar have the same big problems:
Tanks that are expensive, and hit on 4s.
Tau missile pods and ion cannons trump Eldar tanks, but you have to play the "glance war". Since we're both skimmers, we'll be doing a lot of glancing. In the Glance War - volume of shots is what matters. Twin-linked missile pods and ion cannons are far better than railguns.

The new Wraithlord is considerably better than the old, but he's still expensive, somewhat slow, has a terrible armor save, and relies on T8 which we can affect with basic S5 weaponry.

The new War Walkers, however, are better by far than the old. They're no longer open-topped. I expect to see a lot more of these.

They're weapons have gotten range increases, but Eldar will still rely on getting close enough to Tau fast by taking Falcons and Wave Serpents. Frankly, the Eldar have expensive infantry that still has crappy armor saves. Dakka volume of fire trumps all Eldar squads.

Eldar Rangers are typically a great choice against Tau because pinning Tau is quite possible, and it's one of the best ways to limit our ability to hurt them with dakka fire.

I don't know much else about the new specific stuff, but not a lot has changed from our perspective as Tau.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm in the same position as you are. A friend of mine is also dusting off his old Eldars. So far I have come up with this:

Eldars keep their Fast Skimmers. I actualy think they can make a skimer move 36 inches with the right upcrade combination

His jetbikes are still dangerous if he plans to flank you and now the price has been lowered to only 22 point a bike. They can be very annoying to the fire warriors as they will be able to move a big distance - shoot and then assault if I remember right.

Thats all I have managed to extract from at this moment but I will torment him further in the future muhahahaha >
Old 10 Nov 2006, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

watch out for their new dire avengers. They have a range upgrade and with the bladestorm abilitiy they can pull a longer range FoF using dire avengers and wave serpent. 3shots per model at 18" is mean with any gun
Old 10 Nov 2006, 16:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
Alright, the new Eldar codex has come out, I've got a friend that's gonna be dusting off his old army now that they've been re-done, but I have NO IDEA of anything in the old codex, let alone the new one (I have a feeling I was given the twice-over a couple of times with the old 'dex) so, anyone who's had a good look into it, or has picked up the new codex, can I request a rundown of what I need to watch out for, what units would be priority targets, and any weaknesses that Tau can exploit. Maybe not a full tactica yet (I'm sure there needs to be some time to get some games in to test out theories and such) but just a "hey, this will win the battle for you, this will break your army in two" type things. I know Eldar are sometimes difficult to play & beat, so I want some inside scoops here.
Heya,

Worry not. Of all forces, Tau is one of the forces best equipped to handle Eldar, even the new ones. If you want all the information, see my thread in the Eldar board (it's a sticky) and see all other threads there related to the new codex. You can learn exactly what the new stuff is, how it's changed and how nerfed most of it is, compared to before.

Allow me to be bold:

Eldar Skimmers are easier to destroy. They're lesser compared to Tau Skimmers.

The infantry got the high step. They're far better than before. But unless you have a lot of infantry yourself, this is not a problem. Falcons are easily kept quiet. They cannot ignore damage results. All they can do is dumby down damage to be a `shaken response. This is good because it means they do not fire. Falcons have simply become good transports--they are nothing worth while for dealing damage. Your Missile pods, Ion Cannons and Railguns are actually more effective with how the Skimmers changed here. Fire Prisms are not even concern to you--they're the same as Falcons, and combined beam attacks are inefficient against a mechanized Tau force (next to useless). Vypers are completely fragile and cannot move, shoot, move anymore. There is no more of that business. The only threats you have are: Jetbike squads (Warlocks, GuardianJetbikes, etc) which turboboost with Singing Spears (Str9 against your skimmers!); Harlequins (but only if you have infantry on foot) and Falcons with Fire Dragons (they're potent against skimmers, but that Falcon is easily `shaken to the point of stupidity; it will not deliver).

Mechanized Tau with lots of Death rain and you can say "Good game" to most Eldar.

If you play a Hybrid or Static force, you will have far more worries on your hands because the better part of Eldar shooting is close range and infantry oriented. They're all fast moving. Assault is a big factor here. But all of it is completely enveloped by your shooting. Tau is extremely well equipped for these tasks.

Very little has changed in our fights against Eldar if you're mechanized; except that it just got easier to bust their mechanized elements.
However, a lot has changed if you have mostly infantry in your force, as it just got more dangerous for your infantry.
The new Eldar have very weak anti-tank capability, especially for skimmers (and especially Tau skimmers, due to high armor values).

You'll be fine, if you mount up and take lots of Str7 and Str5 weaponry.

Cheers!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 16:23   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I tasted on my skin the new Eldar (a week before the codex came out), we played a 2vs2 (Tau-space marine vs eldar and tyranids) and the Eldar didn't do so much (he was hiding), I just "saw" the vibrocannon.
Very little has changed.

Few information my pathfinders saved,

Shas'o Bork'an Or'es Mont'ka (Bladecutter)
Old 11 Nov 2006, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

My friend has been playing eldar for some time and the new codex means he'll be tweaking his force no doubt, but their armour is still weak (vespids vs aspect warriors...) and the avatar, whilst better is incredibly expensive, just don't fire fusion guns or flamers at it and you'll be fine

(heliodorus04- isn't the wrathlord T7 now? anyway, shoot the psykers and it won't be as good)
Old 11 Nov 2006, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

To my knowledge the Wraithlord is still T8
Old 11 Nov 2006, 19:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey just though i would mention if you are playing mech tau against Eldar you need to put Swooping Hawks right at the top of your target priority list, these squads are made to take out skimmers no matter what armour an how fast they move. They can move up to twice as fast as any tau skimmer an when they assault they can always hit on 4s (with exarch power) and any 4 or 5 is a glance and any 6 is a penetrating hit, so just be aware that these may "swoop" across the table and knock your tank from the sky.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxt0mxXx
Hey just though i would mention if you are playing mech tau against Eldar you need to put Swooping Hawks right at the top of your target priority list, these squads are made to take out skimmers no matter what armour an how fast they move. They can move up to twice as fast as any tau skimmer an when they assault they can always hit on 4s (with exarch power) and any 4 or 5 is a glance and any 6 is a penetrating hit, so just be aware that these may "swoop" across the table and knock your tank from the sky.
A good reason always to put a multitracker on you vehicle it seems and keep it moving those 12"