Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marine Assault Squads > FoF
Closed Thread
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha
Default Marine Assault Squads > FoF

Been trying to make Fish of Fury work against a marine opponent of mine, but his assault squad just jumps on over and tears me up. Generally, I don't take out half the squad before they take me out.

Any tips for me? I'm new so don't think anything is obvious :P
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Marine Assault Squads > FoF

I guess the first point would be don't FoF them, go for targets that are away from them. Second would be to ask how the squad is equipped and how large it is? Also what is in your army that we have to play with and what else is in his?

Without knowing that its a bit harder to answer the question other than saying 'shoot them'.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Fair enough, but I really don't have much to work with. Just started playing, you see.

On the table, I've got the Devilfish, with it's 12-man squad (11 Shas'la and Shas'ui with Markerlight, all with Pulse Rifles). I've also got my Crisis Commander (Plasma Gun and Missile Pod).

Like I said, we're new players and therefor are trying to even out our points so that we're on a fairly level playing field.

We have very thick terran, therefor I've been using my devilfish to block off entire lanes of advance by wedging it between terrain pieces. It's highly effective against my enemies tac squad, but I just can't get the assault squad down in time. We're playing on a 4x4 table, so it's not very far for the squad to advance, and it's quite often she will send her assault squad chasing my Fire Warriors from the get-go. I'm not a big fan of Kroot, so I was hoping there was some trick to outmanouvering the enemy.

If anyone has advice for some new models that can help me out against marines, feel free to let me know.

Thanks guys!
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't ever FoF anything with a movement or assaultmove of more than 6". Simple as that. The FoF I build on the enemy not being able to assault you
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Kroot might suprise you, I originally was definitely going to get a pure Tau force until I finally got round to painting the one unit of Kroot I had and then fell in love with them. Give them the benefit of the doubt until you've seen some nicely painted ones up close before you decide to write them off completely.

None the less, they honestly aren't going to be of great help against an Assault squad.

So you're using really small armies then - you with a commander and a mech unit and her with a tactical squad and an assault squad? To be fair these sort of games arn't that representive of how you would normally deal with them but hey, as your army grows it will get easier. What you really need is a squad of battlesuits, preferably with pulserifles.

Probably the best idea would be to have your battlesuit acting as a lure to try to get the assault squad to chase a juicier target whilst he fires his plasma rifle at them, picking them off one by one (don't get into rapid fire range or you will be charged) and then once they are down to 4-5 models you can advance up close and rescue him with a FoF attack.

Alternatively, keep pestering the assault squad with the Devilfish whilst the firewarriors hang back - the tactical squad will have to take a LD test to avoid shooting it rather than your fire warriors and the Assault squad won't easily take it down if they even try (you only get one attack with melta bombs and it hits on a 6)
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

"The Kroot might suprise you, I originally was definitely going to get a pure Tau force until I finally got round to painting the one unit of Kroot I had and then fell in love with them. Give them the benefit of the doubt until you've seen some nicely painted ones up close before you decide to write them off completely.
"

I'll definately do that . Planning on a battleforce as soon as I'm sure I'd like to keep with Tau, so those will probably be my first Kroot. To be honest, it's not the models that I dislike, it's more the fact that they're an auxillary force. Something about pure Tau that really appeals to me, but hey, we'll see

"What you really need is a squad of battlesuits, preferably with pulserifles."
Plasma Rifles, rather?

"Alternatively, keep pestering the assault squad with the Devilfish whilst the firewarriors hang back - the tactical squad will have to take a LD test to avoid shooting it rather than your fire warriors and the Assault squad won't easily take it down if they even try (you only get one attack with melta bombs and it hits on a 6)"
Hmm, interesting. I've always read that Devilfishes are so fragile, and therefor I haven't bothered trying to use them as their own unit - Either FoF or just drop their cargo and run.

Thanks for the advice, this should help alot I know that such small forces don't really have the same tactics as "real" games, but they say the best way to learn is from the ground up, right?

Thanks again all.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Plasma rifles indeed :P sometimes you just start writing a word and then your brain turns off to let the fingers do what they want to do.

Devilfish are fragile in the larger games - if there is a devestator squad around with 4 lascannons or missile launchers then it pays to be cautious. Otherwise its a fairly tough little beast.

Marine needs 3+ to hit, 4+ to damage and them 5+ to blow it up, all ends up being about a 7% chance of her destroying it each time she fires. Its a bit more complicated if its being used to carry troops but if its just harrassing units then it drawing that fire is doing its job.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 13:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

Give your shas ui a bonding knife. Allows them to regroup even if under 50%. Also I wouldn't put a markerlight on a FoF squad.

Also, it seems like you only have 1 devilfish? I take it? You said you have A devilfish with 12 warriors? You need 2 to make FoF worthwhile. Even hormagaunts willt ake a turn to get around as you cannot assault through the 2 vehicles and have to go around. Also since you just started, take them, that is fine. Put your FW's up in a static line, and use the markerlight on your commander. Give your shas ui a target lock so he can use it differently from the rest of the squad. Just an idea. Give your devilfish decoy launchers, cheap and effective. Disembark the gun drones and use those to die up his assault squad while you can shoot his tac squad with your fw's. Just a couple of ideas.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 09 Nov 2006, 13:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thinking about it, if your opponent doesn't mind it might be worth upgrading your devilfish to a 'Warfish', with SMS and targeting array rather than the drones (multitrackers and a decoy launchers should almost be standard). Makes it a lot nastier as a light tank than just as a transport.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, the Devilfish itself is quite a tough little tank. It's the mushy little Fire Warriors that are getting smashed

I haven't been too specific - I'm FoF'ing with Terrain, instead of the second Devilfish. I pretty much make it headbut some ruins, effectively getting the same sort of protection. I've been doing it with a fair distance, but I'm just not getting enough wounds out in time. Maybe it's just a matter of better rolls.

Thanks Utsujin, I'll definately try those tactics. Alot of interesting ideas. I wonder, would I be able to use my gundrones to force my enemy into Close Combat, giving me some time to re-embark?

Tastyfish - Sounds like a good idea, I've seen them in the codex. A few questions - Where on earth do I actually get those SMS turrets? (Will I have to buy a Skyray?). And why do I have to make sure my opponent doesn't mind?