Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish is a troop choice?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha
Default Devilfish is a troop choice?

Well, obviously I know it is

My real question is, in terms of the 1-HQ and 2-Troops prerequisite for gaming, can I have my Crisis Commander, a squad of Shas'la, and a Devilfish?

Thanks
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default Re: Devilfish is a troop choice?

No, the squad of Shas'la and the Devilfish count as one troop choice.

Later

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Damn. Thanks
Old 09 Nov 2006, 11:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're in need to satisfy the 1HQ 2Troop rule, you might split your FW Troop in two (but it might be a poor game with one crisis and 2 6FW Troops).
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Haha, yep. I thought about having 6 and 6 troops, then having one static squad and one go around with the devilfish. Problem that arises there is that the Devilfish and 6-man squad can get easily isolated from the rest of my troops.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The size of force your using though, you should really be on the combat patrol force org (for things 400 to 750 or so), which removes the need for two troops but adds in some other restrictions (no 2+ saves, no 3 wound characters, no big tanks etc)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhamm...at%2Dpatrol/1/
Here is a link to the homepage with the set of rules (though they are in the new rulebook I think), has a sample Tau force there as well.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hehe.. I tried this argument when the new codex first came out, more or less for 'fun'. It sorta escalated into a 'oh yea, well, this minute detail looks like it means..' vs a 'nonoNO! weve always done transports this way, other armies dont get to do this, so shaddap!' shooting/shouting match. So I really dont want to drudge through all that BS again...

... but I can discuss it a bit.. >

- The Devilfish entry in the armylist is not a separate page, and does not say dedicated transport... and the only place it does actually say transport is in its title.

- Some website tactica article on the GW website talked about sniper drones being 'possibly' being able to hitch a ride in a devilfish... which made all who read it wonder 'what does that mean?!?'

- The list of what may be carried in the Devilfish states "up to 12 models, excluding any trops in XV combat suits".. making everyone wonder what THAT means... why would you say that XV suits are the only ones who cant take a ride, implying everything else can... IF the devilfish is indeed a dedicated transport, and can ONLY carry their 12 firewarriors???

- Any questions directly to GW for clearing this up have been met with a wave of silence.. From GW themselves. Everyone else tends to shout that whole "nonoNO!" stuff, and I have never got a direct answer as to the intent of the devilfish rules.

- The Eldar Falcon can indeed carry 5 models from any unit, sort of like a Taxi... and makes us wonder if the devilfish was intended to be the same way or not.

Now, I still wish it wasnt all shouted down and was considered at least a little bit. There is a great advantage, and a disadvantage to the devilfish being a seperate troop choice , able to carry any 12 models (from a single unit), except Crisis, Broadsides, or Stealths. This would make the Devilfish much more usefull, and make the Tau army much more flexible and maneuverable... with the downside that having enough transports to be fully flexible, then your actual troop choices would be fewer in number.

One big advantage is that the Devilfish would be a good evac option for a line of firewarriors about to be assaulted: the Devilfish swoops in, and picks them up, takes a couple of grenade attacks/gunshots, then zooms away. *sigh* :

But honestly, I reeeeaaaaallllyyyy wish we (or even just me) could get a direct answer as to the intent of the devilfish: is it a full dedicated transport (with misleading transport options), or is it a Falcon-like taxi (that really needs to be cleared up Over the shouts of "nonoNO!") ??
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yep, found Combat Patrol in the rulebook. Looks like a nice way to play, will have a crack at that tonight. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

"But honestly, I reeeeaaaaallllyyyy wish we (or even just me) could get a direct answer as to the intent of the devilfish: is it a full dedicated transport (with misleading transport options), or is it a Falcon-like taxi (that really needs to be cleared up Over the shouts of "nonoNO!") ??"
Yeah, I can agree with you. As a new player, it's glaringly obvious the potential for such a 'taxi'. Dropping Kroot at the front lines, withdrawing Fire Warriors. Even Drones could be tactically manouvered (Alot safer in a Devilfish than jumping around themselves). Would be great to know the answer.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmikronAlpha
"But honestly, I reeeeaaaaallllyyyy wish we (or even just me) could get a direct answer as to the intent of the devilfish: is it a full dedicated transport (with misleading transport options), or is it a Falcon-like taxi (that really needs to be cleared up Over the shouts of "nonoNO!") ??"
Yeah, I can agree with you. As a new player, it's glaringly obvious the potential for such a 'taxi'. Dropping Kroot at the front lines, withdrawing Fire Warriors. Even Drones could be tactically manouvered (Alot safer in a Devilfish than jumping around themselves). Would be great to know the answer.
hey, play ork speedfreeks and you can take every transport for everyone

Old 09 Nov 2006, 19:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban

- The list of what may be carried in the Devilfish states "up to 12 models, excluding any trops in XV combat suits".. making everyone wonder what THAT means... why would you say that XV suits are the only ones who cant take a ride, implying everything else can... IF the devilfish is indeed a dedicated transport, and can ONLY carry their 12 firewarriors???

The DF can ALSO carry Ethereals, Pathfinders and three of the four drones. None of which are ONLY firewarriors.

The Ethereal honorguard can buy a Devilfish. Path finders MUST buy a devilfish. and any of those units can have marker drones, shield drones, and Gun drones. All of which take up spaces in the maximum 12. This is why the rule is stated that certain units can't enter. it. If it was written that certain ones could, but not that others COULDN'T then the implication could be read that a unit of crisis suits could magically get in a devilfish because they had 1 gun drone with them. The phrase, really isn't needed anyway. Its not there to imply a non-dedicated transport. DF goes to FWs, PFs, and Ethereals only.