Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice Versus Witch Hunters
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2006, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Advice Versus Witch Hunters

I joined a local escalation match in my home town and tomorrow i have to face off against witch hunters in a 750 battle. I can honestly say i know very little about WHs and what they can do. all i know, going into this match, is that he will be using 3 Chimeras of troops and a deep striking assassin. That's a horrible description, but I'm desperate for advice

Thank you

Chris 'Ajent'
Old 08 Nov 2006, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Advice Versus Witch Hunters

YO!
just wondering, what types of troops, battle sisters? shock troops?
any how, tips,
1) chimera + s10ap1 gun= death
2)assains usually drop behind terrain, so anything with a smart missle system should be fine. my broad side team leader has his own plate covering for each assasin he's killed *cough*12*cough*
3)fire warrioes should be the basis of you're army, especially in games lessthan 1000 pts.

good luck!
Old 08 Nov 2006, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

First thing I would suggest is a bunch of deathrain suits. If his troops are in Chimeras that means that they're all stormtroopers. The missles will make short work of both his chimeras and stormtroopers. I recommend taking out the chimeras very quickly because I've learned in my last game that heavy bolters are not your firewarriors friends. I Have no idea what advice to give you if you want a tank, on IonHead vs Railhead as the unloading chimeras will give you delicious submunition shots but the Ion Cannon is much beter at killing the chimeras.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll tell you now, no assassin deep-strikes. The Callidus Assassin, however, has something similar called "Polymorphine" (shap-shifting drug). Basically, she's in reserves and when she comes in, she comes in anywhere on the board. That is, anywhere and no scatter. Just pops up, ready to shiv your commander with her invulnerable save-ignoring C'tan phase sword. She also is allowed to move one of your units 6" after they deployed.
There is no way to prevent her from getting into close combat. The best thing to do is scatter; get away from her and then force as many saves as possible (pulse weaponry, missile pods, SMS). She's only got 2 wounds and a 4+ invulnerable, so she's fairly easy to kill.

The best thing to do would to be immobilize his chimeras straightaway, to hamstring his mobility. IST and Sisters operate best in close-ranged firefights, as they have mostly short-ranged weapons.
I'd suggest taking a Shas'el with a missile pod and some other weapon, perhaps a burst cannon or CIB (also can't go wrong with a Fireknife). A couple deathrain suits would be a good buy, and a railhead will be nigh-unkillable (unless he's got an Exorcist, which is pretty much priority 1 if he does). However, if you want cheap railguns, Broadsides might be a better choice (but they'll be a prime target for the Callidus, and, as I said, you can't stop her).

Good luck.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 09 Nov 2006, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 09 Nov 2006, 14:00   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

What have you got, as that may help out.

So far, the main advice will be to stop the chimera. Deathrain, Bsides, etc, all good for this. Once they are stopped, the stormies inside will have problems, as they will take damage, and be vulnerable (taking exploding vehicle damage, not in range to shoot, etc).

As for the callidus, you're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that she will kill one of your units. There's nothing you can do about it, the turn she appears she will be unstoppable.

So, with that in mind, scatter. Keep your units far enough away from each other that she can't kill one and move into the next. Once her charge has been spent, hit her with everything you have, and she will die. As said, she has a mere 2 wounds, and 4+ invulnerable save (so hit her with basics first, save your good ap weapons for other targets unless she survives.) Good luck with your game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 14:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If he's using two Stormtrooper squads in Chimeras, he's putting roughly 400 points into that. We'll come back to it later.

I'm not sure how much the Callidus Assassin costs, but that is the next thing you'll see, and is described accurately above - it can come in without scattering, AND still assault - so it is GOING TO KILL what it wants to kill. The way you mitigate that is to keep your HQ suit CHEAP. Keep all your suits CHEAP. She's going to get them, and you want it to happen in one CC phase so you can take her down after she kills one unit. All units of yours must be at least 7 inches away from each other at all times (armor notwithstanding).

I've never paid much attention to suit type names, but a key one for you will be the Twin-Linked Missile Pod and flamer combo. That's 47 points per model. A unit of two can take out Chimeras, and draw perhaps a likely attack from the Calidus. That's a reasonable trade.

For 140 points you can take an Ion-Cannon Hammerhead with Burst Cannons and stuff - this will be good backup for your Missile Pods, will be immune to assault practically, and will take out Sv 3+ sisters and Sv 4+ Stormtroopers. Definitely have one of these around.

Your Witchhunters opponent, if he takes Sisters, will likely take Seraphim, which are quite mobile (jump troops). But Sisters are either tooled out to be great in CC, or to have decent Anti-Tank capability with Inferno Pistols (range 6, melta). I'd expect the Inferno Pistols, because everyone beats Tau in CC already.

For 200 points, you can take 8 FWs and a Warfish, which is a highly versatile troops choice. Mobile, protecting 8 scoring FWs, and able to hit stuff that it cannot see (seraphim).

A gun drone unit might be good. Kroot in small units would be good.

But don't put more than 100 to 120 points into any infantry unit, because that Calidus assassin will take them out.

Essentials for you:
2x Crisis w/TL MP & Flamer (94 points)
Ionhead w/BCs, MT, DL, TL (140)
10 Kroot (70)
8 FWs (80) w Warfish - SMS, MT, TA, DL (120)

You've spent 500 points there. Add a cheap commander in a fireknife config, perhaps with Targeting Array & HW MT for 97 points and you still have about 150 points - that's 20 more kroot, or some gun drones and static FWs...
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 09 Nov 2006, 18:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I wish i had something like that ideal group. However, i have nothing like it.

Shas'el fireknife
2 Monat Crisis fireknifes
2 10man firewarriors
2 BS suits (teamed)

I didn't Have a hammerhead at the beginning of this months games (i'm still working on developing my army)

My origional tactic was to surround the BS suits with fire warriorsa 3" gap to aviod the assasissin. However i forgot about "a word in your ear" that would expose my main tank busters into the open. My opponent does not use any impassible terrain so the only way i can predict where he will drop is if i place my firepower on a table edge/corner and create a wide spread mesh of firewarriors to avoid the BS suits to be exposed by a word in your ear. If i lose my BS suits then i'll have to rely on missle pods from the crisis suits

The problem with doing this will be that i will have poor field positioning and potentially no cover from the 2heavy bolters on the chimaras and it will be a futile effort if the assassin does not reserve until late in the game.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 22:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

Split the broadsides into 2 units, far away from each other. The fireknives should be alright but wont be nearly as effective against the chimeras.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know money is an issue for any new player, but becoming better at the game is dependent on adding new models to your army.

A devilfish, a hammerhead (start rail, I guess, but if you can build it so you can swap guns, that's all the better), MAGNETIZED crisis suit weapons, some kroot, some FWs, some pathfinders. Start with these, keep your early games small (1000 points to start, 1500 when you have an army built).

And play people who aren't just out to beat you - play people who will TEACH.

Play games with someone, then switch your exact armies and play again (great way to learn what other armies can do, and also to see what others can do with YOUR army against the one they already know)
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Closed Thread